• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

burning in new equipment, am I hearing things

hixy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 4, 2009
quarry bank
AKA
mick
My son bought me a headphone dac for me for Xmas which after loads of begging he gave me early,yes I'm a spoilt twonk.I had the older version before this new model which I had to sell. Anyway I plugged it in yesterday and I was gutted because it didn't sound any better than my v cans .which is shocking.after feeling proper peed off I left it on all day.today it sounds like a different dac.Am I hearing things .just one question I have to turn volume up to 2 or 3 o'clock is that an issue as I was led to believe distortion got involved after 12 o'clock

Cheers mick

Frizzy brizzy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Burn in is another hot topic, personally I feel items fresh out of box do burn in.

I have had kit that does not like being switched off or moved, (Vitus, wadia) many solid state class A need burn in and then some to get those big trannies sounding smooth.

Re volume, maybe your headphones are insensitive, and need a beefier output .

hixy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 4, 2009
quarry bank
AKA
mick
My headphones are grado 125 I believe there 32 ohms is that insensitive

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Keith ,but I no me and yesterday it didn't sound good as a headphone amp so I'd talked myself into thinking it was going to be bad and now its not

Mick

Pete the Feet

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Rochdale, , United K
AKA
Mr Feet
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure about dacs but I definitely noticed it with a CD player. The dealer warned me about it and he wasn't wrong. I left it on repeat for 3 or 4 days and no difference was noticeduntil the second day then after four days it was night and day.

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk 2

C

Crazytrain

It depends which dac/headamp it is. If it's the Bushmaster MKII, then I know that the manufacturer changed the volume logarithm( or something ) for this model, meaning some headphone users need to whack the wick up more than the previous model. ( around the 1'o clock mark or thereabouts).

hixy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 4, 2009
quarry bank
AKA
mick
It depends which dac/headamp it is. If it's the Bushmaster MKII, then I know that the manufacturer changed the volume logarithm( or something ) for this model, meaning some headphone users need to whack the wick up more than the previous model. ( around the 1'o clock mark or thereabouts).
Yes it is.OK that's cool .thank you

hixy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 4, 2009
quarry bank
AKA
mick
The Beresford DACs are well known for improving for a few hours after initial switch on. Just enjoy it. :)
Hello henry ,listening to it now a naim classical cd its very good ,hope your ok

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket).

Your subjectivity should be nicer than someone else's 'objectivity'. Especially if it's your money.

MUSIC (including recorded) = can/should be great - for you ....

listenup

Wammer
Wammer
May 16, 2006
nr Cambridge, ,
AKA
Bob
I don't think we should discuss this until after Xmas.

Pressy in the first week in December? Worse than the kids!

Undoubtedly the poor early performance was the reaction by the headphone amp at its premature exposure to light.

hixy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 4, 2009
quarry bank
AKA
mick
I don't think we should discuss this until after Xmas. Pressy in the first week in December? Worse than the kids!

Undoubtedly the poor early performance was the reaction by the headphone amp at its premature exposure to light.
I know now I have nothing to open Christmas day,I only get socks Anyway.I'm very grateful to my son

V

Voice_Coil

Burn in is fiction.
It cant be, ive heard dealers say that things have to burn in, for example, if you are not totally satisfied after the burn in period, bring it back, lol :doh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zymaze