Cable suggestions sought for multiamping horns... any secret DIY bargains out there?

Inamelotone

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 8, 2011
Down South
Hi Folks

I am planning on rewiring my set up and having as many of the wires neatly tucked into their own wooden diy trunking system... as I have settled on a 4 way system that means quite a lot of cable running around the room, not to mention trying to keep hum at bay, etc. hence why I have decided to make an effort!

I can't bring myself to spend hundreds, so was wondering if you guys had some secret DIY tips on the hidden loudspeaker cable gems out there... ? Also, based on your own experience, how critical is it that the cables are of the same length left and right? Currently to keep things as tidy as possible would mean the right channel cables being 2 metres longer or so...

Thanks for your thoughts

Inamelotone

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi FolksI am planning on rewiring my set up and having as many of the wires neatly tucked into their own wooden diy trunking system... as I have settled on a 4 way system that means quite a lot of cable running around the room, not to mention trying to keep hum at bay, etc. hence why I have decided to make an effort!

I can't bring myself to spend hundreds, so was wondering if you guys had some secret DIY tips on the hidden loudspeaker cable gems out there... ? Also, based on your own experience, how critical is it that the cables are of the same length left and right? Currently to keep things as tidy as possible would mean the right channel cables being 2 metres longer or so...

Thanks for your thoughts

Inamelotone
There's a useful analysis of speaker cabling and its effect (or not) here: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#differences

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-OFC 4mm or 2.5mm depending on amp used.....the 6mm is frankly overkill for most domestic hi-fi needs but is still affordable if you think you really need it. :D

Lots of us on here use this I use the 4mm w jumpers made from the same for my triwirable XTZ floor standers, I do have a v high current amp though @ 62.5amps. The 4mm is more than enough in this application. The Nakamichi Z plug/BFA's are also excellent as are the Sewell all copper spades. Both are inline double screw fixing & give an immensely strong termination IME.

Lots of us on here use this stuff, either self built or sourced ready made from the always excellent Paul @ Purite North:^ who is a dealer & regular contributor on here.

stewartwen

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 30, 2006
near Blackpool
AKA
Stewart
If you go to City Electrics, a real visit in person. They will show you what they have......................they are very helpful and have branches all over the country.

I buy quite a lot of cable from them and have always been delighted with them and of course they wont rip you off..........have a look at the 3-7 core Doncaster from their stock list.

S

• Upvote
Reactions: vacdac

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you go to City Electrics, a real visit in person. They will show you what they have......................they are very helpful and have branches all over the country.I buy quite a lot of cable from them and have always been delighted with them and of course they wont rip you off..........have a look at the 3-7 core Doncaster from their stock list.

S
Years ago I bought a fan speed controller from them that another supplier tried to charge me £52-50 for City Electrics charged around £7-50 inclusive of VAT.....They're good for all sorts & v helpful, whenever I've used them with no B.S. & great prices. :cool:

Inamelotone

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 8, 2011
Down South
Thank you all... I was looking into Van Damme so good to see it is well thought of. Thanks also Paul for putting my mind at rest about using different lengths! A good audio buddy of mine swears by the Anticable solid core stuff, which might be just within reach I suppose, but I hear it can sound a little hard, something I am trying to avoid. Have any of you played with this stuff?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles