• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Cambridge Audio Azur 640C won't power up

cjm

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2006
, ,
I've got the 640c player which will not power up when the wall socket is turned on. I've swapped out the power cable and checked (wiggled) connections to see that they seem ok and they do. The odd thing is that this problem happened a week or two back, then seemed to correct itself ie started to turn on into standby ok. Proof that the unit is in standby is a small blue LED coming on. Now, though it stays off, though, it did flicker slightly on one attempt to turn it on before it went out again.

Any ideas why this might be? I would be prepared to have a go opening the unit and testing/replacing a component if it's pretty clear what has gone wrong.

At the risk of providing too much info, my setup is the 640C linked to an ART DIO dac then to sugden A21a. The art dio dac is known to have problems losing the digital signal on CD change, possibly because of static build up and this can be remedied (sometimes) by switching the CD player off and on or (fullproof) unplugging and replugging in the DAC. I mention this setup as, till I added the sugden recently to the setup, the DAC didn't lose the digital lock too much and I had no problems with the cd player. Since adding the sugden, I lose the digital lock about 50 to 75% of the time and so I try turning the player on and off first -maybe ejecting the cd too - before unplugging the dac if need be. When I unplug the DAC, you can actually hear the static disappearing as a weird noise through the speakers.

So, I wondered if my unusual setup could have contributed to the problem ie frequent turning on and off, static build up in DAC, very high gain in DAC interacting with the sugden somehow. As I say, I wonder this as the problem got a lot worse when I added the sugden to the chain.

Any thoughts of an easy solution by changing a component or suchlike. Just ignore the extra stuff about my setup if it's just a red herring.

Cheers

Chris

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Chris,

I will move this to the 2 channel section so it gets a better response for you.

Cheers,

James.

A

adam

I would take the DAC out of the chain,disconnect it,then see if it works on it's own,my only critism of Cambrige gear is that is quite slow to respond.

cjm

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2006
, ,
ok, thanks Adam. At the moment, I'm wondering if it isn't a malfunctioning component in the player or if there is some sort of overload linked to my DAC's quirky behaviour

Tons of Fun

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 26, 2006
Concrete cow funland
AKA
Ed
Just to be clear- the CD still won't power when not connected to anything else? (And without sounding like a grumpy pedant- why have you told the forum so much more info than you've given me to work with on the Cambridge helpdesk?
26.gif.8017d59dcd366c78cba0db9463c65b0f.gif
)

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hey, I've got lots of old CA stuff (DVD300, CD4, Dacmagic 2i). None of it's skipped a beat (yet, touch wood...though the DVD did need its firmware updated...)

Maybe they don't make them like that anymore
wink.png

cjm

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2006
, ,
well, well, well, Tons of Fun, I had no idea that Cambridge Audio would have one of their technical reps on this forum
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

I thought I'd keep my report to Cambridge Audio tech support short and sweet, as I anticipated just being told to take the unit back for repair when I didn't want that cost and was prepared to have a go myself :dude:

Anyhow, it's all academic now as I've solved it. Took top off - looks lovely inside with its copper coverings -and did the obvious (non technical) checks. Turned out that with the power cable in, when I carefully checked internal cables/connections, the LED flickered on and off. So I was able to isolate an unsecure connection and hey presto, a blue LED, and a working CD player. Thanks to those who showed interest in my thread.

And, as an aside, I wonder if anyone else has tried the 640C - mine is version 1 - as a transport. It has turned out to be the best transport I have used and improved the sound with a selection of DACs from my trusty ole Meridian 263 - more dynamic, better bass extension,and definition - to my superdac, to my modded ART dio, to my current favourite, an unmodded ART Dio. The ART Dio adds extra sophistication, among other things, to the sound of the player alone. If you want a good transport, one of these second hand is a terrific buy IMO. And I'm sure, sooner or later, I'll have to check out the version 2.

As a matter of interest Tons of Fun, would any of the improvements/changes made to version 2 of the player, be relevant to its use as a transport or just as a standalone player? I just wondered if v2 might be an even better transport for any particular reason.

Thanks

Chris

Chris

A

adam

I sell V2 of all the cambridge kit,has been reliable for me,well made,good looks,and exellent sounding for the money.Glad you fixed the problem,the only Cambridge kit I know off being prblematic was thier music server,which was of no intrest to me.

Tons of Fun

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 26, 2006
Concrete cow funland
AKA
Ed
Glad you got it sorted.

There should be as near to bugger all difference between the v1 and v2 players when running as a transport as the big changes are downstream of the digital outs. As an aside an Azur transport nearly saw the light of day following a request from a couple of distributors but the numbers didn't stack up and the solitary prototype was snaffled by one of the sales people to run an Audio Note DAC.

cjm

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2006
, ,
I'm interested to hear what you say, Ed. I can understand that financial reasons influenced the decision not to make a dedicated transport, but if it offered improvements over the 640cused as a transport, it would have been a special bit of kit for the price, I'm sure.

Chris

E

earl of sodbury

cjm wrote:

And, as an aside, I wonder if anyone else has tried the 640C - mine is version 1 - as a transport. It has turned out to be the best transport I have used and improved the sound with a selection of DACs from my trusty ole Meridian 263 - more dynamic, better bass extension,and definition - to my superdac, to my modded ART dio, to my current favourite, an unmodded ART Dio. The ART Dio adds extra sophistication, among other things, to the sound of the player alone. If you want a good transport, one of these second hand is a terrific buy IMO. And I'm sure, sooner or later, I'll have to check out the version 2.
I've kept my v.1 for exactly this purpose, it's little more than a hair's-breadth behind the (unmodified) Musical Fidelity X-RayV3 in this role, and is useful when the XRay's being tinkered with. Damn good bit of kit
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Youngedennis