Camera advice for a uni student

Kawasaki kr1s

Wammer
Nov 28, 2016
Ok 

my daughter is looking for a decent quality camera, she is doing a photography degree I've no idea what to buy budget £300

advice please 

Last edited by a moderator:

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
what do they recommend?  For example our Photography dept has a pool of lenses they lend to degree students..... but they are all Canon fit, so buying anything but Canon is pointless.

I would strongly advise her to ask at Uni. We have a deal with a supplier, that means if students buy through us they can get a good discount. 

bosa

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2012
West Wales
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
+1

My son did a photography degree recently at Coventry and they had Canon kit for hire plus a few other bits and pieces. Ask the uni. Secondhand Canon plus kit lens could get her the basics.

What is she interested in? Would some secondhand medium format kit be appropriate? The uni will have a darkroom for developing film.

Mickyricky

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 28, 2013
Stockton On Tees
AKA
Micky
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is the course about digital or film ?as some of my friends who enrolled before had to purchase a film camera with manual settings

Mightyquin

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 15, 2016
Brighton
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As already suggested check with the course tutor first as they may have a preference (easier if most students are using the same type of gear).

Most courses specify a DSLR as opposed to other types of camera, and Nikon or Canon are the most common choices - this helps because she'll be able to share lenses etc. with other students.

My advice given the budget is to buy an older model s/h. Buy from a dealer who gives some warranty however. CEX shops are great for s/h gear. A Canon 40D is a great choice for a student, and can be bought for around £100 leaving plenty for a couple of lenses and some accessories. I'd suggest the 18-55 'standard' zoom and the 55-200 telephoto, Not much she won't be able to do with that kit.

Tarkers

New Wammer
Mar 25, 2017
Semi-pro / enthusiast here! I'd second going down the used route with that budget. I shoot Olympus MFT these days, but used Nikon a lot in both film and digital guises. I'm a bit of a fan of prime lenses as they (a) tend to render images better and (b) force you to work that bit harder to create the image. In Nikon land, the important thing is to get a camera with a built in motor to enable it to focus with older screwdrive lenses. I'd try to stretch the budget to a Nikon D7100 with 35mm f1.8 AF-S prime if possible then think about where to go from there. The D7100 will AF with older lenses and (I think) meter with manual focus ones.

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would advise Canon EOS 1200D Kit. I think it's the best choice.
...but a bad choice if her college have chosen Nikon gear and have a stock of lenses she can borrow.

The reality is that there isn't so much as a sheet of Bronco between the Canon and Nikon ranges, so if you are starting from scratch, other considerations, such as what kit the college and the other students are likely to have is going to be far more important.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Buy used, so many decent used DSLRs around for not much money. There are several UK shops that sell gear at reasonable prices with warranties, I would avoid eBay as prices tend to be quite high and little in the way of warranties and no checks. 

omulmeu

New Wammer
Jun 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
To begin with, you should be given information about which device you need to purchase. Are we talking about a digital or film device here? After all, courses often begin with film devices, which are the fundamental moment. When I entered asa College miami, we were given a complete list of what we could use during our studies. Of course, we are not talking about photography courses, but this is still an indicative moment that speaks about the attitude of the college to its students.

Last edited:

Dave Brown

Beer, Curry and Cornish Pasty Tester. BBQ Nut.
Wammer
Aug 17, 2018
Didcot
AKA
Dave Brown
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The thread has not been posted in for three and half years till today. I'd practice on tactfulness too.

How did the course go ? What did you end up buying ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles