• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Charcoal Grilling, Smoking and baking on the grill?

Dave Brown

Beer, Curry and Cornish Pasty Tester. BBQ Nut.
Wammer Plus
Aug 17, 2018
Didcot
AKA
Dave Brown
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's springtime. Time to fire up that grill!
It's always fired up, it never sleeps, xmas dinner was done on the weber last year, with sides done in the Treager !!

One last competition to judge 1st of December in Belgium. Then 2020 opens with the coldest BBQ competition in the world. WEST BBQ 2020

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've always had a relatively cheap BBQ and replace them every few years when they finally rust through and/or fall to pieces, but very little beats the taste and it's certainly not unknown here for me to barbecue outdoors in the winter and bring it inside for consumption. More than a few occasions I've been outside cooking when it's been snowing.

Tony_J

Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
Bunessan
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've always had a relatively cheap BBQ and replace them every few years when they finally rust through and/or fall to pieces, but very little beats the taste and it's certainly not unknown here for me to barbecue outdoors in the winter and bring it inside for consumption. More than a few occasions I've been outside cooking when it's been snowing.
Snow isn't the problem here, but there are relatively few days of the year when there is sufficiently little wind to make barbecuing possible.

jeanine_moor

New Wammer
Oct 31, 2019
Seattle
AKA
Jeanine
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's always fired up, it never sleeps, xmas dinner was done on the weber last year, with sides done in the Treager !!

One last competition to judge 1st of December in Belgium. Then 2020 opens with the coldest BBQ competition in the world. WEST BBQ 2020
It's not that cold in our region ofc (especially comparing to UK), though BBQ'ing on a nice cold evening while drinking a beer is perhaps one of the greatest zen moments for me.

Though I never understood the theory of not barbequing in the winter months. Yes it's cold, however you're literally cooking with fire. As Tony said, snow is not the problem, but as for the wind - just disregard thermo readings if you have one in the dome, as they read way colder in the wind. Go pure caveman and just use your hand above the grate to determine temp.

Also! Don't forget to use a special blanket (or make one, but keep it safe) to retain the temperature. I cover my Weber, and my dad covers his Genesis. His Genesis is about ten years old and works well even when temp drops.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Brown

Beer, Curry and Cornish Pasty Tester. BBQ Nut.
Wammer Plus
Aug 17, 2018
Didcot
AKA
Dave Brown
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Snow isn't the problem here, but there are relatively few days of the year when there is sufficiently little wind to make barbecuing possible.
Sounds like sir needs a BBQ shack ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: rabski and Tony_J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
connieblan