'classic' amp for a tightwad (me)

paulfromcamden

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 5, 2006
London SE3
AKA
Paul
Starting to think about what I can replace my Marantx PM6010OSE with - just seen one go for £120 on eBay(!) which isn't bad going since mine cost £129 new
tongue.png

Quite fancy something British from yesteryear (if this isn't asking for trouble!) and noticed that Cyrus IIs with PSX and Naim 32/110s seem to be going for about £150 and £300 respectively.

Are these worth considering or are they likely to go pop within a fortnight? I'm wondering if the Cyrus might be a bit harsh on the ears after a sleepy Marantz...

Any other bargains I should be keeping an eye out for? Cheers - Paul

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just sold my Cambridge amp (was a similar budget) and have replaced it with a sonic impact t amp - v happy with it
smile.png
V nice, detailed sound and tight bass... Probably not the kind of 'classic British' thing you're after, though
wink.png
Goes nicely with 'classic' speakers, though (sounded good lovely with some old Alisons).

Someone's advertising an MF x80 in the classifieds - depending on budget might be worth a shot...

Jon

paulfromcamden

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 5, 2006
London SE3
AKA
Paul
jon wrote:

Just sold my Cambridge amp (was a similar budget) and have replaced it with a sonic impact t amp - v happy with it
smile.png
V nice, detailed sound and tight bass... Probably not the kind of 'classic British' thing you're after, though
wink.png
Goes nicely with 'classic' speakers, though (sounded good lovely with some old Alisons).Someone's advertising an MF x80 in the classifieds - depending on budget might be worth a shot...

Jon
Been wondering about a T-Amp for the bedroom actually... quite like the idea of sorting out a nice enclosure and PSU as a project - that's a whole other thread though I guess
biggrin.png

G

what i've heard from the cyrus range is the complete opposite of harsh. it's as dull as dishwater. and should be avoided like the plague.i tried one when in england and it was aweful the wife says the same by the way.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Been wondering about a T-Amp for the bedroom actually... quite like the idea of sorting out a nice enclosure and PSU as a project - that's a whole other thread though I guess
biggrin.png
You might want to get the t amp first
wink.png
I also bought mine home to put in the second system, but it quickly replaced my Cambridge amp...

Anyway, hope you find a nice amp. Drop me a PM if you're looking to get a t amp - I'm thinking of ordering myself a couple from the US, to keep the cost down
smile.png

Jon

paulfromcamden

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 5, 2006
London SE3
AKA
Paul
jon wrote:

biggrin.png
You might want to get the t amp first
wink.png
I also bought mine home to put in the second system, but it quickly replaced my Cambridge amp...

Anyway, hope you find a nice amp. Drop me a PM if you're looking to get a t amp - I'm thinking of ordering myself a couple from the US, to keep the cost down
smile.png

Jon
Cheers - will do. Are you running it with a pre-amp or anything? Just the one source?

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
am using it without a pre-amp - have multiple sources plugged in just using a multiple source switch box. It does seem to work better just as a power amp, though - will probably look to buy/build a pre-amp eventually, and either run t amp with volume on full or just remove volume pot. May play about with biamping, too - hence the plan to get more of the things...

Jon

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
Smooth sounding beer-budget classic amps?

Nad 3020 (or the latter updates) is the one that instantly springs to mind. A&R Cambridge A60 the other.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Two words - Quantum Electronics.

Little British company from late 70's early 80's who made pre and power amps plus the odd integrated and all are damn fine. Half the price of Naim gear when new and sound better, to my ears.

A 102 preamp and 202 power amp combo will set you back about £100-£150 on Fleabay. Only downside is onlyphono, tape and auxinputs andtape & aux are 5 pin DIN sockets (although at line level).

paulfromcamden

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 5, 2006
London SE3
AKA
Paul
Thanks for the suggestions chaps - all noted and all very welcome.

Anyone care to comment on the value for money of ancient Naim pre/powers? Quite like the fact that they're open to lots of tweaking and upgrades and they'd seem a good choice for a rock fan.

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
A 32.5/110 combo is superb VFM. You could probably pick this up for around £350 on eBay - would knock the socks off anything else at that price and could be upgraded with the addition of a HiCap.

I used to have a 72/HiCap/140 combination which was easily as good as the Avi Lab Series Integrated I also owned. That combo would set you back around £800. Be warned though - the Naim upgrade bug is the most conatgious disease in Hi-Fi and the only cure is a 552/500! (£25,000)
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Lefty

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Lefty wrote:

the Naim upgrade bug is the most conatgious disease in Hi-Fi and the only cure is a 552/500! (£25,000)
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
Lefty
Nah a few get away, a dealer off this forum has "cured" a few I had no trouble walking away from my 202 hi cap 200 cdx2 set up after falling out with the ********** at the company

its good just not as good as some think and others would like to think

Mister R

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 24, 2005
London, , United Kin
Contrary to Rudolph's thoughts on Cyrus, I'd definately recommend trying a Cyrus III(not the IIIi)with a psx added later. Cracking amp upfront, and lively sound that'll last a long time. Good VFM too!

Cheers...

Iain

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online