Classic Records Never Die....

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This from a quiz on the BBC News website...

More than five million vinyl records were sold in the UK for the first time since 1991, with Abba's Voyage and Adele's 30 the two biggest-selling albums. But which sold the third most?

It was Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, originally pressed in 1977. It pushed Ed Sheeran's =, released in October, into fourth place. Abba's first new material in nearly 40 years helped Voyage become the fastest-selling vinyl LP this century, shipping nearly 30,000 copies, according to industry body, the BPI. It said cassettes were also enjoying a continued revival, with about 190,000 sold during a ninth consecutive year of growth in sales.

Surprising on two fronts - Adele wasn't first and there is enough people out there who don't already own Rumours to get it into 3rd place!

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm one who doesn't own "Rumours." I never did like Fleetwood Mac. But the way my system plays music now, I may want to give it a chance. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kryno

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm one who doesn't own "Rumours." I never did like Fleetwood Mac. But the way my system plays music now, I might want to give it a chance. :)
I bought a copy in the year of its release. I still have it but it gets no airplay here nowadays  - my preference is for the early incarnation of the band, when the lineup included Peter Green.

Mick

petecallaghan

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 4, 2015
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Surprising on two fronts - Adele wasn't first and there is enough people out there who don't already own Rumours to get it into 3rd place!
It's probably the next generation, building up their collection of 'vinyls'.

My kids (hmm they're in their 20s now...) are gradually adding classics to their collection of discs. Sadly this means I have contrived over my lifetime to buy some albums more than 5 times over, on different media.

... as an aside, I'm a convert to calling them 'vinyls' now. To my mind the new name emphasises what is unambiguously unique about the medium.

Reactions: akamatsu

petecallaghan

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 4, 2015
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm one who doesn't own "Rumours." I never did like Fleetwood Mac. But the way my system plays music now, I may want to give it a chance. :)
With recent tuning of my set up I am finding music that was previously missable and unengaging is now surprisingly emotive and compelling. I found myself enjoying a David Gilmour solo track!!!!

With each significant improvement I find I can enjoy more music that previously was boring.

• Upvote

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
5m units is very low, just shows how far physical sales have fallen. In 2008 over 120m cds were sold in the UK. I’m hearing lesser known bands are having to wait around 9 months to get their records pressed, as they are putting the big names first. Many buyers don’t even have a turntable, they put the record sleeve on the wall. Prices are going up, some doubles are now around £40. I think prices are too high in the UK, that’s the reason I did not go back to buying LPs. 

Reactions: deggie

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm one who doesn't own "Rumours." I never did like (later) Fleetwood Mac.
No amount of system improvement will improve on the source material - save your money! Buy The Rumour's "Max" instead!!

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought a copy in the year of its release. I still have it but it gets no airplay here nowadays  - my preference is for the early incarnation of the band, when the lineup included Peter Green.

Mick
I do not have “Rumours” on vinyl.
For me Fleetwood Mac is Peter Green and Danny Kirwan. 
“Dragonfly” is my favourite FM song. 

I hardly ever play anything by Pink Floyd that is not by Syd Barrett. 
I often play “Madcap Laughs”, “Barrett” and “Opal”. 

I am surprised the “Let It Be” remasters were not the best selling albums of 2021. 

image.jpeg

Reactions: MickC and akamatsu

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rumours by Fleetwood Mac also features consistently on the Qobuz "most streamed" and "most purchased" lists week after week. So its not just vinyl lovers who play it.

Reactions: Billz

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have look at the lists on this page, half of it is "Classic Rock", much does not seemed to have changed since about 1985 :

https://theluxereview.com/2021/12/02/qobuz-most-streamed-music-2021/
Qobuz is only cd/HR so a very niche market, Qobuz has very few subscribers compared to Spotify, last figures I saw Qobuz had around 200,000 but that was some time ago, Spotify has 172m paid subscribers and 381m users overall. Max Richter never heard his music I don't think, so I will try it later, looking at reviews it's not really my genre but I do play some of that sort of music occassionally.

This is Spotify top list: https://www.nationalworld.com/culture/music/spotify-wrapped-2021-worlds-top-artists-and-most-listened-to-songs-revealed-and-how-to-see-your-stats-3478838

Bad Bunny is the top artist, never heard of him and I won't be playing him later.

So I would not believe that things have not change since 1985, a lot of Qobuz subscribers will be older people, into HiFi. R&B/Rap is very popular, not something I like but that's where we are.

Coalboy68

Life in the fast Linn
Wammer
Dec 30, 2020
NE England
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I guess since I have not heard of most of the Spotify “top of the pops”,  I have made the right choice with Qobuz 😉

happy new year to all.

Reactions: Billz

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I guess since I have not heard of most of the Spotify “top of the pops”,  I have made the right choice with Qobuz 😉

happy new year to all.
Yes I agree, I use Qobuz and it's my top choice, Tidal's promotion of the Rap/R&B genre puts me off. But as a guide to what people are listening to, then I think Spotify will be more accurate, than niche's such as vinyl buyers and Qobuz subscribers.  

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Abbey Road, maybe, but I never thought much of Let it Be.  
I recently watched the “Get Back” movie by Peter Jackson, which documents the creation of the Let It Be album.

‘This movie completely changed my perspective on the Let It Be album in an extremely positive way, and an even greater appreciation of the Beatles.

‘Some of the things I didn’t realize is that every one of the Beatles could play drums, guitar and keyboards. Watching them create songs out of thin air and lay down the tracks was fascinating. The movie also highlighted how much the Beatles enjoyed each other’s company (most of the time)

‘The whole movie builds up to the culmination of the final live concert of the Beatles on the roof of their Apple Records building. That scene was magical and well worth the price of admission for the whole movie. Pure genius.

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@sktn77a I agree “Abbey Road” is undoubtedly one of the best records ever made, but I wouldn’t write off “Let It Be”. I detest Phil Spector’s production (do you share this view?). The new set presents the songs in a much better way. Moreover, the “Let It Be … Naked” album showed us there was a great album waiting to escape Spectorisation.  

It is very much my personal taste that I’d sooner listen to “Let It Be” than “Rumours” or “Dark Side of the Moon”. Of course, others may have different preferences (they probably do judging by sales). 

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually, it's not the production on Let it Be, I just never liked the songs!  

Mais, a chacun son gout!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.