Cleaning vinyl

G

Yes, hard work and completely nugatory effort - an MP3 on a £100 DAC sounds just as good.
Ooh get you with the grenade quote tonight :p

hificricketboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2008
W Midlands
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I manage about 6-8 an hour on my Moth 2. Maybe I'm doing too thorough a job...

I use the small in ear plugs which work very well. They cut out all the noisy complaints about how loud the machine is perfectly well.

JVS

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2009
Ilford, Essex
AKA
Jim
I only clean records (on the Loricraft) immediately before playing them. Given you can only listen to one album at a time, can't see the point in doing batches :?

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
I only clean records (on the Loricraft) immediately before playing them. Given you can only listen to one album at a time, can't see the point in doing batches :?
Conversely, I save up my records UNTIL I have a batch, because it's the most efficient way of cleaning them. More fluid is needed on the first and maybe second until the brush/pad becomes sufficiently saturated. Besides, getting the machine plugged in, lid removed and fully up and running doesn't justify cleaning one LP. That's just my circumstances, mind you.

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
Life is too short guys.

Sure I'll clean some second hand mingers before they go anywhere near the wheels of steel.

I am not anal enough to be cleaning new releases regardless of what is supposedly still on the playing surface.

G

Life is too short guys.Sure I'll clean some second hand mingers before they go anywhere near the wheels of steel.

I am not anal enough to be cleaning new releases regardless of what is supposedly still on the playing surface.
New ones get a very quick clean and it does make a difference mate but i get what you are saying

G

Life is too short guys.Sure I'll clean some second hand mingers before they go anywhere near the wheels of steel.

Its quick.

It makes a diffrence.

Result.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many cheap-effective ways to clean satisfactorily vinyl, many overpriced ineffective-effective modes also.

Decide/do what's right for you/your preferably-black plastic.

If you care about it, do it yourself, whether using overpriced alcohol spinners or Fairy Liquid/warm water-Carbon Fibre filaments-AT thingie.

Joy to the world.

G

I'm setting up a cleaning "regime". I read of people using stuff intended for use in dishwashers as "wetting agent". What exactly should I be using?
There's a Search facility on the wam.

Knock yerself out with how to clean vinyl.

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Regarding wetting agent though, I've seen references to photographic stuff but it seems to carry a heavy price. Thus far, I have used Fairy liquid but many suggest it is a no-no.
Been using unperfumed quality washing-up liquid for years with my IPA: water mix on my VPI 16.5. It's fine but you only need a couple of drops. Never seen it criticised, and can't see why it would be. I tried, like you, and failed to get photographic wetting agent when I started up but 1200 records later I'm a happy bunny !

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
Been using unperfumed quality washing-up liquid for years with my IPA: water mix on my VPI 16.5. It's fine but you only need a couple of drops. Never seen it criticised, and can't see why it would be. I tried, like you, and failed to get photographic wetting agent when I started up but 1200 records later I'm a happy bunny !
I have many times, because it contains ammonia and other undesirable chemicals.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It took no time to find it readily available from Amacu**z @ £12-38 + delivery for the Ilford Ilfotol which is what is most often reco'd & wot I use myself.

31QlyF2cHEL._SX385_.jpg
.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ilford-1905162-Ilfotol-Netzm-1000ml/dp/B000KZ7QWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393525630&sr=8-1&keywords=ilford+wetting+agent.

Really that is no money at all:nup:, when you consider how far this will go in terms of made up cleaning solution. For most people this much would be a lifetime's supply. You could easily split costs with another Wammer & still both have enough to see you right for years. :^

Plato

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 14, 2009
, ,
It took no time to find it readily available from Amacu**z @ £12-38 + delivery for the Ilford Ilfotol which is what is most often reco'd & wot I use myself.
31QlyF2cHEL._SX385_.jpg
.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ilford-1905162-Ilfotol-Netzm-1000ml/dp/B000KZ7QWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393525630&sr=8-1&keywords=ilford+wetting+agent.

Really that is no money at all:nup:, when you consider how far this will go in terms of made up cleaning solution. For most people this much would be a lifetime's supply. You could easily split costs with another Wammer & still both have enough to see you right for years. :^
Exactly what I use, and as vacdac points out, it'll last you a lifetime.

A couple of drops into 500mls works very well.

mikeyb

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2013
Fife, Scotland
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

That Ilford Ilfotol is available on eBay from Morris Photographic for £12.99 inc postage. My bottle arrived yesterday :)

Mike.

I've become poorer since I joined this Forum !

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
I have many times, because it contains ammonia and other undesirable chemicals.
Which do what, considering the dilution ratio involved? I've read a number of times of adverse comments on IPA as opposed to other non-alcohol based solutions over the years, but the number of people using IPA based fluid rather undermines those scare stories. What are the constituents of wetting agent, I wonder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.