Cleaning vinyl

G

Spent 3 hours today cleaning a vinyl backlog and hardly made a dent . Was it therapeutic ? . :nup: . Did i enjoy it ? :nup: . Did it make a difference ? Yes .... Bugger :doh:

alphatoner

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2007
Tring, Herts
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Question is how many did you manage to get done in 3 hours? I reckon I can do 30-40 in an hour on my machine but I doubt I could keep going for 3 hours solid.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Eleven in an hour , wet hand cleaning.

G

Question is how many did you manage to get done in 3 hours? I reckon I can do 30-40 in an hour on my machine but I doubt I could keep going for 3 hours solid.
I do 12 to 15 an hour but that is spray then scrub and leave a minute , then cleaning brush then vacuum and flip. Took three one pound albums , Visage, Tracey Thorn and Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and they were filthy and sounded shit . Cleaned up and very impressed .

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
I can do about 10 an hour, but I probably overdo it a bit. Mind numbing (and ear splitting) work, but it certainly pays off. Been a bit lazy lately and probably have 300 - 400 backlog :cs:

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
I can do about 10 an hour, but I probably overdo it a bit. Mind numbing (and ear splitting) work, but it certainly pays off. Been a bit lazy lately and probably have 300 - 400 backlog :cs:
Clearaudio Smart Matrix and yes too

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Takes me seven to ten minutes, if I stay with it, to do a record. A good soak and drying time after each side takes at least four of those. Full evaporation is needed (I use IPA based fluid) before turning/sleeving, i.m.e. (VPI 16.5). Did almost my entire collection of 1000 awhile ago; took me a year. I then booked in for a lobotomy.

G

I'll raise you to about 7 to 800 :roll:

alphatoner

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2007
Tring, Herts
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well my 30 an hour (40 may be overly optimistic) is based on two things firstly none of my records ever get that dirty so I never need to go overboard on cleaning, but mostly the speed is down to my Nitty Gritty Pro which does both sides at the same time and the fluid is pump fed, both of which speed up the process dramatically. It also has the added advantage of being comparatively quite, at least compared to my previous Moth RCM. It was expensive but worth every penny imo.

mellstock

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 17, 2008
London, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So what is this? A competition? An endurance test? Religious self-mortification?

I can stand a couple of hours at most on the Moth Mk2 baptising 12 or so an hour with the usual Isoprop / purified water / wetting agent ritual fluid and having my ears flagellated by the racket. But then I have to pay for my sins. For instance 24 single LPs & 4 doubles from the 2 days at the Kensington Olympia fair... Oh yes, and Jimmy Page was there on both days for several hours... seems he's a good mate of several dealers... but no... still got no time for Led Zep.

G

So what is this? A competition? An endurance test? Religious self-mortification?I can stand a couple of hours at most on the Moth Mk2 baptising 12 or so an hour with the usual Isoprop / purified water / wetting agent ritual fluid and having my ears flagellated by the racket. But then I have to pay for my sins. For instance 24 single LPs & 4 doubles from the 2 days at the Kensington Olympia fair... Oh yes, and Jimmy Page was there on both days for several hours... seems he's a good mate of several dealers... but no... still got no time for Led Zep.
All of the above but ultimately there are no shortcuts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles