Closed back headphone/amp advice

dwhistance

New Wammer
Jan 28, 2017
Hello, I'm looking for recommendations for a pair of closed back headphones and a matching amp for late night listening and for when my family are in the room and I want to listen to music. I previously had a pair of Stax SR-007 mk1's with the Stax SRM-007t amplifier which I liked very much but which due to the open backed design weren't really suitable for use with the family in the room - they could hear everything! I'd love to get a similar sound to the Stax in a closed back design but realise that may not be do-able. I don't really have a budget in mind but wouldn't want to spend more than the Stax's. I should add that I'm not at all familiar with current brands of headphone and certainly amps so please give full details of any recommendations, when I read some threads they are almost in code which is undecipherable to those of us who are out of touch!

Sources are a Garrard 401 through an SJS phono stage and a Fidelizer Nimitra through a Lampizator Atlantic TRP. I'm intending the amp to slot into my system after my SJS Arcadia pre.

Thanks in advance for your advice

David Whistance

reg

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 27, 2006
, ,
Hello, I'm looking for recommendations for a pair of closed back headphones and a matching amp for late night listening and for when my family are in the room and I want to listen to music. I previously had a pair of Stax SR-007 mk1's with the Stax SRM-007t amplifier which I liked very much but which due to the open backed design weren't really suitable for use with the family in the room - they could hear everything! I'd love to get a similar sound to the Stax in a closed back design but realise that may not be do-able. I don't really have a budget in mind but wouldn't want to spend more than the Stax's. I should add that I'm not at all familiar with current brands of headphone and certainly amps so please give full details of any recommendations, when I read some threads they are almost in code which is undecipherable to those of us who are out of touch!

Sources are a Garrard 401 through an SJS phono stage and a Fidelizer Nimitra through a Lampizator Atlantic TRP. I'm intending the amp to slot into my system after my SJS Arcadia pre.

Thanks in advance for your advice

David Whistance
Would be interested to hear the comments as i am also after some closed back

Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed look very interesting.

On the Amp front the Headamp GS-X Mini is superb but not cheap. Haven't heard it with any closed back headphones though. The SMSL SP200 is a cracking amp for the money and was wondering if it would work nicely with the Dan Clark's

monya

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2007
London, , United Kin
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Focal do a couple of closed backs. I have the Stellias but there is a less expensive pair too. All are easy to drive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online