Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
AKG 701/702.
I agree.
Too much treble makes the sound very grainy for me. I can't stand them!
And open backed.

Focal Elegia. I had a pair. Quite enjoyed them to start with, but fairly rapidly grew irritated by them.

I didn't get on with Meze 99 NEO. I was expecting warm and full, what I heard was lightweight and hollow.

How about Monolith 1060c? Closed Back planars, I believe. Not heard them myself, but they have a good rep.

My favourite closed back atm are Oppo PM-3. No longer made but eBay usually has some used. Definitely worth a try imo.
Depending which fq graph I reference the Meze 99 Neo have a 9 or 10 db rise between 4 and 6kHz. Quite the spike that would make many, including me, concerned they'd be grainy and harsh.

Perhaps the lightweight and hollow sound was that spike combined with the recessed 400hz to 2kHz region.

Personally I prefer a recess between 500hz and around 3 to 4kHz, but then much less boost around 6kHz.

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/meze-99-neo.php#gsc.tab=0
https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/meze-99-neo/

Curiously one of these sites suggests the 99 Classics are much more gentle between 4 and 6kHz and the other suggests they have a similar response to the Neo's which increases further up to 10kHz.

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/meze-99-classic.php#gsc.tab=0

https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/meze-99-classics/

Try the Marshall Monitors some time, I have had mine for over six years and still love them. They come with an insertable filter that tames the treble, not that it's a problem per say. They work best on mobile devices and non-dedicated headphone amps.

Reactions: JANDL100

avinunca1

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2008
Shrewsbury, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A lot of the Wam show rooms were too loud for me. I've always adjusted volume to suit me with
tissue paper going back to rock concerts in 70s - hated ringing ears following the events. I do wonder how many people have lost sensitivity over the years from prolonged exposure to high volumes.

Reactions: deggie

brian.davidson.5817

Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
East Lothian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I own the SRH1540, and like them a lot. They are a very easy drive, and I wanted a closed back, high-quality headphone for use with my phone and laptop. Another I own is the Sony MDR-7506, and I really rate them; for the money, they are ridiculously good.

I also use Beyer DT150 (250 ohm) and they are a fabulous, all-day, listen. They are not as good with a laptop or phone but I would also consider them: I found them just as good as the Beyer 1770 Pro which are significantly more expensive.

I
I agree with you about the DT150s. I have 3 pairs of headphones which include these. They are superb, esp when you consider the price.

Reactions: oldius

I.D.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 14, 2021
For the few times i listen to headphones the Focal Eligia prove to be acceptable via a Lakepeople 109. Still have my original Sennheiser 430 and a pair of Beats with blutooth when traveling.

avinunca1

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2008
Shrewsbury, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now I've done a lot more 'research' I am seriously interested in a pair of Audeze LCD-XC 2021 if I can find some at the right price. Pity but I don't think my Dark Voice OTL amp will cope with 20 ohms impedance.
Budget will be busted.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now I've done a lot more 'research' I am seriously interested in a pair of Audeze LCD-XC 2021 if I can find some at the right price. Pity but I don't think my Dark Voice OTL amp will cope with 20 ohms impedance.
Budget will be busted.
Make sure you get to listen to them first, there's a very good reason most good planars are open back.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Every set of closed back I've had leak sound (and I don't listen loud), much to the annoyance of anyone else in the same room. My current Sonys are noise cancellation but they don't cancel all noise, just muffle it.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Every set of closed back I've had leak sound (and I don't listen loud), much to the annoyance of anyone else in the same room. My current Sonys are noise cancellation but they don't cancel all noise, just muffle it.
From my experience, under a certain budget, IEMs can be better in this respect than full size headphones.

My Elegia do leak a small amount but not to the extent the wife has complained and if I listen to rock/metal/eolectronic at normal levels then I can't hear the TV she is watching - classical can be diffierent due to the much quieter passages.

My problem with the cheaper Audeze models (and cheap being relative) is the amount of EQ people tend to use, not all reviewers mention this and the ones that due then, again, my experience is that they EQ for their personal preference and having tried some of them they certainly aren't to my preference.

Hold my hands about 6 inches away from my planars and the sound changes quite a bit - so closed back planars bring all sorts of other problems to the game.

Reactions: Lawrence001

avinunca1

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2008
Shrewsbury, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From my experience, under a certain budget, IEMs can be better in this respect than full size headphones.

My Elegia do leak a small amount but not to the extent the wife has complained and if I listen to rock/metal/eolectronic at normal levels then I can't hear the TV she is watching - classical can be diffierent due to the much quieter passages.

My problem with the cheaper Audeze models (and cheap being relative) is the amount of EQ people tend to use, not all reviewers mention this and the ones that due then, again, my experience is that they EQ for their personal preference and having tried some of them they certainly aren't to my preference.

Hold my hands about 6 inches away from my planars and the sound changes quite a bit - so closed back planars bring all sorts of other problems to the game.
WRT the Audese LCD-xc I have been impressed in particular by Andrew's views on Headphones.com youtube. I have a pair of Sony noise cancelling phones - XM-2. I use them a lot and they are very good if not the last word in SQ. I don't think using EQ on the Audeze phones will be a problem. They are apparently very suited to this. Not planning to use IEMs any time soon. Just not practical when MY wife is in the room.

Last edited:

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
WRT the Audese LCD-xc I have been impressed in particular by Andrew's views on Headphones.com youtube. I have a pair of Sony noise cancelling phones - XM-2. I use them a lot and they are very good if not the last word in SQ. I don't think using EQ on the Audeze phones will be a problem. They are apparently very suited to this. Not planning to use IEMs any time soon. Just not practical when MY wife is in the room.
I'm a member at headphones.com and follow them on youtube just remember Andrew likes to EQ ALL his headphones. The problem with that is that the EQ is for their personal tastes, which is fine if it is in line with your tastes. I've used some of his EQ and they do NOT match my tastes and this from a reviewer who doesn't think amps or dacs make any difference. Don't forget Andrew works for headphones.com which is a forum for a commercial business selling, amongst others, Audeze headphones. The irony of that is most planars need a bit more welly up them than their stats would imply, meaning you need a better/more powerful amp (so the amp makes a difference).

All I'm saying if you are spending that sort of money then listen for yourself first. There are plenty of discussions, on headphones.com for instance, about the high leakage from these headphones which may also not be practical when your wife is in the room and these headphones weigh nearly 700g, which is a lot for some people.

Audeze make some very good headphones but planars are very different from dynamic drivers, just try and grab a listen if you can. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Reactions: avinunca1

Sid22

Wammer
Oct 30, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The DT 770 250 ohm or DT 1770 Pro could be a good option for your OTL.
Or the Drop Aeon Closed X or DCA Aeon RT for your Whammy.

Reactions: avinunca1

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online