Wammer
Dec 15, 2013
Euxton, Chorley
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi

new to this forum but hoping for some advice.

recently moved to a new home. My existing system fits nicely into the lounge but now we also have a 'family room'... It's a large (ish) open plan kitchen,dining,sitting room 35'x14'. The sitting room part is approx 14 foot square with a couple of sofas.

i was going to set up sonos system but I have decided instead to use the move as an excuse to get the best system I can past the mrs...

The only speakers I can get past her are the KEF Q500's. Right size, right look.

Question is, they are quoted to go down to 40hz. Are they gong to get lost in that room? If they will be lost then I plan to add a small REL T-Zero. Again its tiny but the only thing we can compromise on for size vs performance. REL quote 30hz.

Anyone be able to advise me on room size vs speaker performance?

Cheers.

eastsoutheast

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Nov 13, 2011
Wimblington Cambridgeshire
AKA
Brian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi

There are so many variables to consider. I would set up the system you seem to have already decided on first and see how it sounds. Once you have done this if you feel there is too little bass you can add a suitable sub. Before you add a sub make sure you experiment with the placement of your Kef speakers.

If you decide you do need a sub make sure you buy a decent quality one and I would suggest a sub rated lower than 30HZ. BK electronics make a 300 and 400 XXLS which are very good and they are easy to integrate with the high level lead supplied.

Sub choice will depend on the bass performance of your room and also the floor type. I have wooden floors and get a nasty sound from my subs with the filters set at anything above 40HZ, a front firing sub would likely avoid this (I only add this to demonstrate the number of considerations required to get the right bass performance in your room).

Good Luck

mothroth

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2013
Euxton, Chorley
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi. Thanks for that. I'm asking a lot really. The only sub I'm going to get away with 'size-wise' is the t-zero by rel.

I do have a strata in the garage but again... It's ugly / too big and not going to wash with my better half.

Good advice though. I'll go with the kefs and see what they're like.

Floor is porcelain tiles throughout. I'm guessing the best way to tackle that is to blue tack speaker and sub to the floor? Did that years ago and it seemed to do the trick. I'm aware that the size of the room, lack of curtains, shiny hard floor etc will mean I end up with a very bright sound. Anything is better than the Zeppelin I'm currently using. Now that is lost.... Although it does do a good job considering.

Cheers for advice. I wonder if I can spray paint my strata..... ;)

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wallpaper them.

500x_destijl2.jpg

Seriously though, let your wife pick a design, paper or fabric, and stick it on with wallpaper paste. Easy to do, easy to undo, and limitless choices. I use wrapping paper or fabric on door panels, and then varnish them for longevity. If you don't varnish. they are easy to remove with a little water or steam. My walls are fabric covered with dense fibreglass slab behind; hidden acoustic treatment.

In this way, your wife has made the choices, and may even feel proud of them. And if she or you want a change, no problem. Unless it's every week!

mothroth

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2013
Euxton, Chorley
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Happy new year!

i like the cut of your jib. I was thinking about wrapping my old sub in fablon/ sticky back plastic but was afraid to say that out loud.... I think you've got something there though. I might give that a crack....

Cheers again

(my poor head)

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not Fablon! Horrid stuff, shows every bump and bubble. Too shiny and too little choice.

mothroth

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2013
Euxton, Chorley
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Right.... The plot thickens...

Went along to audio t yesterday to audition the kef q500's. They'd literally just sold the only pair they had.

But they have a sale on.... So now I'm toying with B&W CM8 at £1100 or MA RX6 at £767...?

Bearing in mind I would opt for the cm8's in a heart beat - they have a larger footprint and I'd rather not start a big debate with partner unless everyone thinks its worth it.

So options are:

Monitor Audio RX6 or Radius 270's with a BK Gemini 2 sub (partner friendly and already approved)

Or

CM8's with no sub (let battle commence)

Will the CM8's sound good in a room my size? Obviously the 9's would be better but there is no way that will get green light...

Any advice very welcome!

Oh tis a tough life for us loved up audiophiles....

mr marcus

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 4, 2013
right here right now
AKA
Marcus
used to have the radius 270 in the front room...good wife friendly speakers...especially how cheap you can pick them up...lots of used ones around.

sound pretty good for the size and money.

have also heard the rx6's ......I would take them over the r270s any day if you can get away with it.

cheers

mothroth

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2013
Euxton, Chorley
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers chaps.

well I auditioned the cm8's this afternoon and I think the decision has been made. They sounded great and after taking along my better half, she agrees that they looked the better speaker too. (hurrah!!)

Great service from Audio T at Preston btw. Very accommodating and friendly. (even put C-beebies on their 4K Sony for my 4yo...)

Sound wise, despite the poor listening room, the depth was impressive. Clarity was great. Imaging way beyond what I expected and no apparent boxiness, even with some Damian rice acoustic tracks at full whack.

Now I'm just hoping that my amps pass the Mike test (www.mpavservice.co.uk) If they don't I'm back to square one and will be looking for some power amps instead...

Cheers again for advice.

ill get some pics on when/if I get the system set up.

Cheers

mothroth

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2013
Euxton, Chorley
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So no wallpapering then? Disappointed. :D
Well.... I'm tempted to cover my old Strata and have a go. Maybe I can sneak that in as well. Or I might just go 5.2 in my lounge... You've opened up a potential world of opportunities for me.... And I've never said that to a man before...

:geek:

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well.... I'm tempted to cover my old Strata and have a go. Maybe I can sneak that in as well. Or I might just go 5.2 in my lounge... You've opened up a potential world of opportunities for me.... And I've never said that to a man before... :geek:
Ooh, you smooth talking devil! :love:

mothroth

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2013
Euxton, Chorley
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well after much deliberation I am listening to my purchase.

Mike at MPA Service has done a grand jobs checking my old amps. All is well.

In the end I got a great deal on a pair of (white) B&W CM8's. They're pushed a little too wide and close to side and rear walls, but that's where they look best apparently....

So fat I'm impressed. Need a good run in I imagine. But the bass extension is good (no match for my rel set up in the lounge) but they image very well. Vocal clarity and dynamic range is awesome. Acoustic guitar - very real.

I also just played Prokofievs Romeo and Juliet as loud as I dare with a 4yo around.... Very pleased indeed.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Now I need a new cd player....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles