• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Connect phono stage into pre-amp ?

macvisual

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 6, 2008
Scotland
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all, looking advice as I've recently got myself a Promitheus Audio TVC passive pre-amp, I still use the odd time a Dual 504 turntable and about 500 albums to choose from.

So how do I connect my Dual 504 turntable to the TVC pre-amp as there's no phono-stage? Do I need a separate phono-stage?

Im using an AT440MLa cartridge (moving magnet) on the Dual 504 tt, so any advice to which separate phono-stage to use without blowing mega bucks please?

Thanks;

pete

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yes, you need a separate phono stage. The Cambridge Audio 551P is reasonably priced (£70) and well regarded.

alphatoner

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2007
Tring, Herts
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got one of these brand new, yours for a £12 posted if all you want is something cheap and cheerful. No idea what it sounds like though. Bought it as a just in case, but never got round to using it.

macvisual

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 6, 2008
Scotland
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
"I've got one of these brand new, yours for a £12 posted if all you want is something cheap and cheerful. No idea what it sounds like though. Bought it as a just in case, but never got round to using it".

Ok Ian, I'll go for it please, thanks. I'll pm you soon.

pete

JezR

Penguin Whisperer
Wammer Plus
Nov 3, 2009
Brighton, UK
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Pete, Good you got the TVC going.

I'm sure just pluging a phono stage in will not be enough, you need a line stage in between for the gain to be right I think.

It would just be like putting a phono stage directly into a power amp, you need a active gain stage in between as the TVC is passive.

greengoblin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 15, 2009
manchester
AKA
Leon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi Pete, Good you got the TVC going.I'm sure just pluging a phono stage in will not be enough, you need a line stage in between for the gain to be right I think.

It would just be like putting a phono stage directly into a power amp, you need a active gain stage in between as the TVC is passive.
I don't believe that's true. A stand alone phonostage would provide enough gain for moving magnet, giving a healthy output not dissimilar to a CD player. Just plug that into your tvc and off you go

JezR

Penguin Whisperer
Wammer Plus
Nov 3, 2009
Brighton, UK
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tried a graham slee Era Gold V, it made a sound but distorted badly. Depends on the phono stage I suppose.

Maybe someone else who runs this configuration could advise better than me.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't believe that's true. A stand alone phonostage would provide enough gain for moving magnet, giving a healthy output not dissimilar to a CD player. Just plug that into your tvc and off you go
Yes you do, and that is all you need .... M
Yup!! Eggzackerly. :^

I'm sure just pluging a phono stage in will not be enough, you need a line stage in between for the gain to be right I think.It would just be like putting a phono stage directly into a power amp, you need a active gain stage in between as the TVC is passive.
Ummm a phono stage is an active gain stage!! Some even have variable gain/level controls, as does mine which can be used directly into a poweramp, with no pre.

JezR

Penguin Whisperer
Wammer Plus
Nov 3, 2009
Brighton, UK
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I stand corrected, a mate of mine uses a phono stage into a Border patrol amp just using a Blue Alps pot.

I must have been doing something wrong when I tried myself. I'll look before I leep next time.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been using a modified Yaqin MS-12B phono amp into a Promitheus TVC with good results, for the price. The MS-22B is the stripped down version, and would probably be better if left standard. I bypassed the line stage of the MS-12B among other things.

Novinut

Wammer
New Wammer
Sep 3, 2013
Copied from I forget where.

"A phono amp amplifies weaker signals produced by phono cartridges (ranging from 0.2 millivolts for moving coil types to 5 mv with moving magnet types) to a level equivalent to that of so called "high level" sources such as tuners, tape decks, and CD players. Also, phono amps equalize the signal to reverse the effect of the RIAA compensation curve.

The preamp is the next stage taking the 500 mv - 2 volt high level signal to 2 - 4 volts sufficient to drive the power amplifier. Preamps also serve as the control center having the source switching capability, volume and balance controls, tape monitor loops, and in some cases, tone controls."

The final stage is the power amp. While the signal gain multiple is similar to that of the preamp stage (actually the phono amp performs the greatest signal gain), the power amp deals with the largest amounts of current required to drive a loudspeaker. That is why power amps are usually the largest stages."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kinchitshaw