Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the majority of people on this site have stonkingly good music systems.

I feel for the under 35s as they struggle to get on the housing ladder. My eldest had to save 36k up and then needed help from me, currently 13k and likely to be nearer 20k. That to get a 2 bed flat in need of renovation.

The people without large pensions, I do feel for them, but so many of my contemporaries failed to plan for not working, in my case I put 10% of my salary for 35 years and the businesses matched it. I have friends who have pension pots less than 40k, 2k a year and the state pension is not a lot to live off.

Reactions: hifinutt

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the majority of people on this site have stonkingly good music systems.

I feel for the under 35s as they struggle to get on the housing ladder. My eldest had to save 36k up and then needed help from me, currently 13k and likely to be nearer 20k. That to get a 2 bed flat in need of renovation.

The people without large pensions, I do feel for them, but so many of my contemporaries failed to plan for not working, in my case I put 10% of my salary for 35 years and the businesses matched it. I have friends who have pension pots less than 40k, 2k a year and the state pension is not a lot to live off.
Yes and if you changed jobs then you lost out, as pension was often based on leaving salary. My pensions are pretty poor, despite paying in since 25 years old, doubt I will have enough to live off, council tax alone is nearly £2k.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm near the end of my working life. Most of it has been spent hankering after stuff, saving for it, then buying it. I'd like to think I'm now done with all that. I'm looking forward to just enjoying myself, but not having to spend shedloads in future to do so. I can imagine spiralling energy costs, food bills and council tax plus the inexorable decline into old age spoiling all that, but hell, I've tried.

Reactions: pmcuk

thearc

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2009
Kent, United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Yep, self employed, have been furiously squirrelling savings into pensions and investments for the past decade as I'd blithely sailed through my 30s and half my 40s without thinking about the future (plus I couldn't really afford a future until I was into my 40s). But given the spiralling cost of everything it all feels a bit pointless. The value of what I've put away is being eroded and the returns won't match the reduction. Hard times ahead for a lot of us I think.

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Used prices are very high at the moment.

The only difference is, people are not buying. So we may see a used price drop at some point, but with the RRP prices going higher and higher, this will support the preowned market, at least for a while.

Reactions: hifinutt and wHIZZY

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Used prices are very high at the moment.

The only difference is, people are not buying. So we may see a used price drop at some point, but with the RRP prices going higher and higher, this will support the preowned market, at least for a while.
This

ozzric

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 23, 2014
Norwich, Norfolk
AKA
Cliff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It seems some of the manufacturers are also looking at the cost of running HiFi equipment, turning away from Class A. I found this article on the web recently:

"Audionote UK has given us an exclusive look at the new streaming platform - the SUTORIMA due for general release later this year. We are told that Sutorima translates as ‘Streamer’ in Japanese.

This intriguing all-in-one box design follows on the coat tails of the Cobra amplifier but goes further with the inclusion of a streaming module based on a Raspberry Pi mini computer, with a new dedicated plug-in DAC module created by chief designer Andy Grove.

If you already have a good DAC, the SUTORIMA has both coaxial and USB outputs.

However- The internal DAC and Class-D (Yes you read that right) amplifier output stages sound absolutely correct as a one box solution. Just add speakers! An initial listen reveals the SUTORIMA to be much more organic sounding than the Cobra, and a full review is being prepared.

It will be compatible with APT-X, Spotify, Tidal, Amazon, Deezer and Roon.

Peter Qvortrup has released the details with the following statement :

“The new German Infineon MA12070 amplifier chip is used in the output stage of the Sutorima. This chip, which can output 2x80W under 4 volts has a Class D design that allows for 92 percent efficiency. This is what the world needs now in the face or rising energy costs and climate change, a real move away from wasteful class A inefficient designs.”

SUTORIMA2 copy.jpg SUTORIMA.jpg

Last edited:

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not what I’m seeing on the WAM, things are not selling at all quickly and prices are dropping certainly for items over £1,000, even some cheaper speakers which look very good value are hanging around.
There's currently too much choice in that price bracket. Add to that the astronomical costs now involved with sending anything overseas in any direction.
Lastly, we're a shrinking niche. Most of us are well sorted for kit while the queues for our hand-me-downs is rapidly shrinking.
Money is still moving about in some areas.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
yes the fact that interest rates are edging up and the bills are rising massively really does mean one is counting the pennies to a greater degree

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It seems some of the manufacturers are also looking at the cost of running HiFi equipment, turning away from Class A. I found this article on the web recently:

"Audionote UK has given us an exclusive look at the new streaming platform - the SUTORIMA due for general release later this year. We are told that Sutorima translates as ‘Streamer’ in Japanese.

This intriguing all-in-one box design follows on the coat tails of the Cobra amplifier but goes further with the inclusion of a streaming module based on a Raspberry Pi mini computer, with a new dedicated plug-in DAC module created by chief designer Andy Grove.

If you already have a good DAC, the SUTORIMA has both coaxial and USB outputs.

However- The internal DAC and Class-D (Yes you read that right) amplifier output stages sound absolutely correct as a one box solution. Just add speakers! An initial listen reveals the SUTORIMA to be much more organic sounding than the Cobra, and a full review is being prepared.

It will be compatible with APT-X, Spotify, Tidal, Amazon, Deezer and Roon.

Peter Qvortrup has released the details with the following statement :

“The new German Infineon MA12070 amplifier chip is used in the output stage of the Sutorima. This chip, which can output 2x80W under 4 volts has a Class D design that allows for 92 percent efficiency. This is what the world needs now in the face or rising energy costs and climate change, a real move away from wasteful class A inefficient designs.”

SUTORIMA2 copy.jpg SUTORIMA.jpg

Trust Audionote to make a modern device like a streamer look like a relic from the worst design period of all eternity, the 70's.

zirconium

Wammer
Mar 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have recently made some upgrades but, being on a fixed income with the continuing price increases, I am going to focus next more on improvements via software rather than hardware i.e. I will be learning how to use Audiolense for speaker/room correction rather than upgrading my speakers.

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Trust Audionote to make a modern device like a streamer look like a relic from the worst design period of all eternity, the 70's.
At least a 1970s amplifier would have a volume pot instead of those bloody buttons for a volume control. That thing looks like a hybrid of the worst of the 1970s and the worst of the 1980s. o_O

White Zombie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2008
Kilmarnock
The companies putting under £50 worth of components under the chassis will be alright. They have a fanbase who maintain they are good...and will still pay over a 1k for their product. Personally I have reassessed my attitude to hifi & will keep it real. If I sniff the story is greater than the product the company has lost me.
Such as? Only asking as I have no idea what the actual value of what's inside the components I have.

garn63

Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
N. Wales.
AKA
Mark.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Such as? Only asking as I have no idea what the actual value of what's inside the components I have.
Sorry mate...I wont mud sling. Everything is made to a price but some are having a laugh. Ask Google the right questions & see what you come up with ? Would you be happy say, if the capacitors used in your amp were the cheapest available..& yet you enjoyed the sound ? :unsure:

Last edited:

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
personally, I won’t be affected by the crisis when it comes to hifi. I’ve just bought new speakers and the rest of my stuff is relatively new. So I’m good for a while. if, in a few years time I decide to upgrade again, then I can see that being very expensive, and I probably won’t get much more (quality) for double what I’ve already spent. Luckily I am very happy with what I have. Barring a total failure, I think I’m set.