hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s not so much the CD player v streamer, it’s more to with remastering, many of my 90s cds were poorly done, some of the more recent remasterings are an improvement. On Qobuz there is often a choice of 5 or more different remasters, some are vastly different such as The Bridge by Sonny Rollins, Tidal only has one version which is not the best one IMO. I hardly ever play my cds now. I have 2 copies Kind of Blue neither are that good.
Jethro Tull most albums have been remixed/remastered by Steven Wilson, vast improvement over the early cds.
That's interesting. What streamer and cd player do you use? I take your point about remastering and like to keep an open mind. Although I have still yet to hear anything streamed that I can sit in front of for long.
What I have done is upgraded the internals and externals of my Restek cd & amplifier, added Restek dac , consequently gives detail, dynamics etc, even to zappa bootlegs, which sound enjoyable.
I'm not convinced there is a streamer out there but maybe I am not taking the trouble to dem properly. Most of my disappointment comes from what I hear at shows.

ozzric

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 23, 2014
Norwich, Norfolk
AKA
Cliff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep, apart from the date and phono sockets as speaker terminals I'm sure Peter wouldn't shaft his whole business with that quote!

I left out the best bit from the end of the article:

Audionote UK will now be looking to redesign many of their traditional amplifier models. The good news for existing customers is that they are looking for a way to retrofit class D design simply by substituting the power valves for a class D chip which will actually simply slot into the original valve base holder. Prices have yet to be confirmed as this is still in development.

Clearly a spoof, and yes it was an April 1st prank, but If I had left that last paragraph in it would have given the game away sooner. Its taken a few days for the WAM debunk it :)

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I left out the best bit from the end of the article:

Audionote UK will now be looking to redesign many of their traditional amplifier models. The good news for existing customers is that they are looking for a way to retrofit class D design simply by substituting the power valves for a class D chip which will actually simply slot into the original valve base holder. Prices have yet to be confirmed as this is still in development.

Clearly a spoof, and yes it was an April 1st prank, but If I had left that last paragraph in it would have given the game away sooner. Its taken a few days for the WAM debunk it :)
Thank goodness for that.............enough shocks for April, what with that and the price of vinyl........😵

• Haha
Reactions: ozzric

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's interesting. What streamer and cd player do you use? I take your point about remastering and like to keep an open mind. Although I have still yet to hear anything streamed that I can sit in front of for long.
What I have done is upgraded the internals and externals of my Restek cd & amplifier, added Restek dac , consequently gives detail, dynamics etc, even to zappa bootlegs, which sound enjoyable.
I'm not convinced there is a streamer out there but maybe I am not taking the trouble to dem properly. Most of my disappointment comes from what I hear at shows.
I have a Bluesound Node2, modified and a Rega Saturn CDP.

Reactions: hiesteem