diplomat2.6

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 11, 2012
Northants
AKA
Peter
Hello all

I just thought I'd post about a very positive experience from the B&W repair workshop.

I've had an ASW 750 (the big 1000w subwoofer, which I use to give a subtle boost to very low frequencies) for ten years or so - and it stopped working. I emailed them and within minutes they outlined their minimum charge was £110 including VAT, apologising for the inconvenience that this would cause, and that the turnaround was typically two weeks. I posted it Special Delivery last Saturday, they emailed to say it arrived on Monday and that it was ready yesterday. They sent an invoice for £90 and it will be back for the weekend.

This is a massive contrast to other experiences I've had with smaller companies (you can search my other posts, if you feel so inclined), because it is a good way of dealing with customers, and helping them realise that their equipment is a good investment because it can be quickly repaired.

What's more, the amp is a hefty unit weighing several Kg and clearly very well constructed. Whilst they might not be everyone's cup of tea, I'm really pleased with the service so I thought I'd pass it on. Buying used is a gamble, but not if the service is so strong

AndyCC72

Wammer
Mar 4, 2021
SE London/Kent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s good to here of that level of service from a manufacturer.

Very different from the experience I had with Dynaudio. One of my speakers was knocked over at a party and has a rather large dent in it now, which has gone through the lacquer and down to the veneer. After getting numerous french polishers etc saying they couldn’t help I thought I’d contact Dynaudio to see what they could do. They ignored my first 3 emails I had to go via the social media route to get a response. I finally got a response 2 weeks after my initial correspondence. I then had to wait another 16 days to get a follow up to response after 2 chaser emails were completely ignored. Really disappointed with their level of service.

• Confused
Reactions: 2010*zuma

diplomat2.6

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 11, 2012
Northants
AKA
Peter
It’s good to here of that level of service from a manufacturer.

Very different from the experience I had with Dynaudio. One of my speakers was knocked over at a party and has a rather large dent in it now, which has gone through the lacquer and down to the veneer. After getting numerous french polishers etc saying they couldn’t help I thought I’d contact Dynaudio to see what they could do. They ignored my first 3 emails I had to go via the social media route to get a response. I finally got a response 2 weeks after my initial correspondence. I then had to wait another 16 days to get a follow up to response after 2 chaser emails were completely ignored. Really disappointed with their level of service.
That isn't great, is it? If it's a shiny glassy finish, perhaps consider a smart repairer for cars. They deal with lacquer finishes all the time, and could possibly make a suggestion.

Reactions: JANDL100

AndyCC72

Wammer
Mar 4, 2021
SE London/Kent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That isn't great, is it? If it's a shiny glassy finish, perhaps consider a smart repairer for cars. They deal with lacquer finishes all the time, and could possibly make a suggestion.
it's high gloss lacquer. A few pics below. I'll look into this 'smart repair' option. thank you. s40 3.jpg s40 1.jpg

Mods - if this is considered thread hijack, please delete.

XH558

Wammer
Mar 30, 2021
South Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a similar experience with Bowers & Wilkins. My PV1 subwoofer developed a common fault. I think the output capacitors needed replacement. I didn’t have a box, so they posted one to me. They returned it to me in five days for a cost of £110. Fantastic service which you don’t always get from a large company.

2010*zuma

Super Wammer
Wammer
Nov 12, 2011
Caerphilly castle
AKA
Young Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Had a great experience with Gryphon, had a repair done by themselves in Denmark certainly took 3 or 4 months but it was during the July through to December 2021 Covid situation.
Also had a very pleasant experience with the good ol’ boys from Salisbury with a one month turnaround, fix and a smile.

We like manufacturer repairs not hearing can’t, no, will not or absolutely nothing.

Last edited: