Cricket thread

• The WAM 22 TICKETS and details can be found HERE
The Wam Show 2022 Confirmed, click to read more.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm of a mind that thinks that it wont make that much difference whoever is captain, we can't bat for toffee.
It’s mainly the top order, if Root bats at 4 then we need to find some decent top 3 batmans. Even last year Root averaged 61. Bowling we need to replace Anderson and Broad, Robinson looks good if he stays fit. Archer also but often injured. Spin we need someone who can turn it not just on Indian or fifth day wickets.
Stokes was the obvious choice as a leader, don’t know yet about tactically.

DIB

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2009
Manchester
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would refer the right honourable gentleman to my last post :D

When we had NZ at 39/6 on the first morning I said to my wife "I wonder what the odds are with Paddy Power for England to lose this test match by more than 200 runs?". I was only half joking at the time but on reflection I should have invested a couple of quid.

Seriously though, what is up with our batsmen, why are we so crap?

DIB

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2009
Manchester
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well a great fight back by the English bowlers this morning, but our bowling in England is never the problem, it's the batsmen who let the team down time and time again. 277 in 2 days and 2 sessions is not impossible, but dare I say it for this team highly unlikely. I trust I'm wrong, I usually am 🤞

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Two wrong again that was a very decent win from a team lacking confidence . This could prove to be something of a turning point .

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Much was suggested and said that England would lose the second test easily and that the Lords match was just a freak result. Well so much for that theory . Instead we see a test that bucks the trend and lasts five days and we see some really exciting and determined play from both sides. England on the last day managed to get NZ out but were left with a record run chase . Not the greatest start and when Root was out for a low score it seemed that the nay sayers had England bang to rights. Then low behold a fight back and some of the quickest scoring seen in a test match Barstow was amazing and despite not being able to run to score the captain played his part and just slugged us to victory . Now I know lots will bemoan that this is not test match cricket and this will not work every time and they are probably right but this was fun and gave a full house real entertainment . Well done the ECB for making entrance on the last day free and getting in lots of people who have never attended a test and for them to be enthralled by the play that ensued. NZ were in the end a little naive and silly for keeping on with a plan that just did not work but thank you to both teams for making a real spectacle for those crowded in to watch .

DIB

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2009
Manchester
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Spot on Bencat. A brilliant match from start to finish, a credit to both teams. Possibly the difference between the teams was that New Zealand lost Kyle Jamieson early on through injury and he is a top class bowler and his height, extra bounce, and nagging accuracy certainly troubled England in the first test. However not wishing to take anything away from England, their attitude and positive approach to go for the win was great to see. 12 months ago we would have tried to drop anchor and try and hold out for a draw. I just wish we had a top class spinner in the team. Leach tries hard but is not an international bowler in my opinion.

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Stokes is showing his players that he has belief and trust in them. Giving Leach 30-odd overs in the first innings of a test will have done wonders for his confidence...and that can make all the difference.

DIB

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2009
Manchester
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another fabulous test match, and remarkably another one that is going to the wire on the 5th day. I don't know what's happened to England's batsmen but it's great to watch. Amazing what a positive mindset can do. The transformation of Bairstow in particular is something to behold, long may it continue. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. I know 116 runs to get with 7 wickets left should make England favourites, but I think there's a twist or two to come yet.