Wammer
Jul 13, 2022
Stoke on Trent
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Back Story:

I've had budget HiFi gear since leaving school. Mostly Cambridge Audio stuff from a shop owned by Mr Richer, and budget speakers that weren't paired well with what I had. They played music, not brilliantly, but they did the job for me, for many years.

I turned the big five-oh this year, and I promised myself some 'decent' (for me) equipment. I'd saved up a bit of cash, and had a budget of £4k-ish for a new solid state amp (know nothing about tube equipment), CD transport / player & speakers.

So, fairly quickly, in came a Music Fidelity M5si & Rotel CD11 Tribute, followed by a SMSL DAC & Wiim MIni hooked up to my existing Monitor Audio Bronze 3 speakers.

I was impressed with what the new kit did for the sound. I was quite impressed with what was coming out of the Bronze 3's. They were making sounds I'd never heard before from music I know well. All good, then.

But I still had budget left for new speakers.

So, after much research, I was torn between a pair of Sonus Faber Sonnetto ii's or the Criton's.

Enter the Critons:

So, after much Youtube watching I thought the Sonnetto's might be a tad warm for my taste, I decided to give the Critons a go. Obviously no audition beforehand, so was a bit of a gamble.

The guys at CSS were extremely helpful, replying to my emails (it would have been 4 in the morning over there) almost immediately. They're does appear to be a German supplier of the kits, but they appear expensive compared to the manufacturers in the US - the guys in the States were happy to ship to me, even with a European supplier available, VAT is payable on import from either destination, anyway. I plumbed for the upgraded crossover - in for a penny....etc.

A week later a vey heavy box arrived:

1.JPEG

Extremely well packed. Everything appears intact. I was impressed with the flatpack cabinets. They are machined really well & slotted together beautifully. All corners are nice & sharp.

2.JPEG

Glued & clamped, 1 day later ( I was excited)

7.JPEG

Some further research, I had discovered, local to me, a veneering company, run by a chap who used to veneer for Bentley cars. Price & timeframe agreed (3 week turnaround) I dropped them around to his workshop.

4 months later they were ready. Much to my frustration. However, I didn't want him to rush them out the door - so I had to be patient.

They came back looking like this:

21.jpg

26.jpg

Time to start soldering crossovers! Basically, very easy with this kit - its the equivalent of painting by numbers. This was my first build, so took my time with everything, checked & double checked - but was very do-able. Build time from with the cabinets completed was a day & a half.

30.JPEG

Crossover fills the bottom of the cabinet
31.JPEG

Rear port, terminals fitted.

32.JPEG

Drivers fitted and screwed in very carefully. Not the time for a screwdriver to be slipping & piecing a cone!.

Finished

33.JPEG

35.JPEG

Thats just great, Dave. But how do they sound?

I dont have much to compare them to, having had few other pairs beforehand.

I'm about 10 hours of listening in, at this point, & I'm in love with them

The much talked about bass is there & its as good as the Youtube reviewers suggest. They are clear, but not fatiguing. Male & female voices are just lovely. I now understand what is implied when reviewers talk about speakers 'getting out of the way' of the sound. Imaging is great.

The kit I bought with the upgraded crossovers & cabinet flatpack including shipping & VAT cost £1,400. Obviously the veneering cost extra, but could be finished much cheaper. I think you would be hard pressed to better them for the money.

Let me know if you have any questions - I am more than happy to help if I can.

justinhd

Wammer
Aug 25, 2016
London
AKA
Justin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Back Story:

I've had budget HiFi gear since leaving school. Mostly Cambridge Audio stuff from a shop owned by Mr Richer, and budget speakers that weren't paired well with what I had. They played music, not brilliantly, but they did the job for me, for many years.

I turned the big five-oh this year, and I promised myself some 'decent' (for me) equipment. I'd saved up a bit of cash, and had a budget of £4k-ish for a new solid state amp (know nothing about tube equipment), CD transport / player & speakers.

So, fairly quickly, in came a Music Fidelity M5si & Rotel CD11 Tribute, followed by a SMSL DAC & Wiim MIni hooked up to my existing Monitor Audio Bronze 3 speakers.

I was impressed with what the new kit did for the sound. I was quite impressed with what was coming out of the Bronze 3's. They were making sounds I'd never heard before from music I know well. All good, then.

But I still had budget left for new speakers.

So, after much research, I was torn between a pair of Sonus Faber Sonnetto ii's or the Criton's.

Enter the Critons:

So, after much Youtube watching I thought the Sonnetto's might be a tad warm for my taste, I decided to give the Critons a go. Obviously no audition beforehand, so was a bit of a gamble.

The guys at CSS were extremely helpful, replying to my emails (it would have been 4 in the morning over there) almost immediately. They're does appear to be a German supplier of the kits, but they appear expensive compared to the manufacturers in the US - the guys in the States were happy to ship to me, even with a European supplier available, VAT is payable on import from either destination, anyway. I plumbed for the upgraded crossover - in for a penny....etc.

A week later a vey heavy box arrived:

1.JPEG

Extremely well packed. Everything appears intact. I was impressed with the flatpack cabinets. They are machined really well & slotted together beautifully. All corners are nice & sharp.

2.JPEG

Glued & clamped, 1 day later ( I was excited)

7.JPEG

Some further research, I had discovered, local to me, a veneering company, run by a chap who used to veneer for Bentley cars. Price & timeframe agreed (3 week turnaround) I dropped them around to his workshop.

4 months later they were ready. Much to my frustration. However, I didn't want him to rush them out the door - so I had to be patient.

They came back looking like this:

21.jpg

26.jpg

Time to start soldering crossovers! Basically, very easy with this kit - its the equivalent of painting by numbers. This was my first build, so took my time with everything, checked & double checked - but was very do-able. Build time from with the cabinets completed was a day & a half.

30.JPEG

Crossover fills the bottom of the cabinet
31.JPEG

Rear port, terminals fitted.

32.JPEG

Drivers fitted and screwed in very carefully. Not the time for a screwdriver to be slipping & piecing a cone!.

Finished

33.JPEG

35.JPEG

Thats just great, Dave. But how do they sound?

I dont have much to compare them to, having had few other pairs beforehand.

I'm about 10 hours of listening in, at this point, & I'm in love with them

The much talked about bass is there & its as good as the Youtube reviewers suggest. They are clear, but not fatiguing. Male & female voices are just lovely. I now understand what is implied when reviewers talk about speakers 'getting out of the way' of the sound. Imaging is great.

The kit I bought with the upgraded crossovers & cabinet flatpack including shipping & VAT cost £1,400. Obviously the veneering cost extra, but could be finished much cheaper. I think you would be hard pressed to better them for the money.

Let me know if you have any questions - I am more than happy to help if I can.
A great build and glad that you are so happy with them. Thanks also for the post. It helps others thinking of taking the DIY route.

Reactions: Trumpton Riots

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was a little worried it might be too much. :oops:
Not to my eys. Subtle is fine as well, but with standmounts, a really 'serious' grain just looks stunning. Most speakers are on prominent display in a room, so there's nothing wrong with treating them like a piece of superb art or furniture.

Reactions: Trumpton Riots

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bet the veneering was at least 50% of the kit cost …..looks amazing though

Reactions: rabski

Trumpton Riots

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2022
Stoke on Trent
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bet the veneering was at least 50% of the kit cost …..looks amazing though
You're not far off - but a little less.

Lots of man hours involved, 2 coats of primer & 3 top coat + finishing buff.

As Rabski said - they are on show all the time & needed to look good & be acceptable to Mrs B.

Plus, I'm a bit of a nightmare myself. If I'd had done it, and messed up even the smallest area - thats the bit I would see each time I wlaked pass them :cry:

Reactions: rabski

Trumpton Riots

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2022
Stoke on Trent
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I think he likes them.

Wouldn't disagree with any of this, pretty spot on TBH.

You'll be able to judge for yourself in October (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Staff online