curved oled tv

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
I prefer my approach - spend the bare minimum and never watch the bloody thing anyway :^

Jack Palance

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2011
Cardiff
Every 5 years the manufacturers want us to buy a new TV. After 3D flopped they lost money big time so rushed out 4K TV's in time for Xmas. A mate working in pcworld warned me about this 9 months ago. The problem is hardly any movies are made in 4K because there's hardly any 4K pro cameras out there. The ones that are available cost a bomb - although no doubt the shops use 4K dem discs. (Strangely I hear the Samsung Note 3 has a 4K camera but I doubt you'll see film pros making Coronation street with one).

As for the curved screen I would imagine its more bollocks to get us licking our lips. Thinking about it, how many channels even broadcast HD right now so what's the chance of seeing much in 4K?

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
Every 5 years the manufacturers want us to buy a new TV. After 3D flopped they lost money big time so rushed out 4K TV's in time for Xmas. A mate working in pcworld warned me about this 9 months ago. The problem is hardly any movies are made in 4K because there's hardly any 4K pro cameras out there. The ones that are available cost a bomb - although no doubt the shops use 4K dem discs. (Strangely I hear the Samsung Note 3 has a 4K camera but I doubt you'll see film pros making Coronation street with one). As for the curved screen I would imagine its more bollocks to get us licking our lips. Thinking about it, how many channels even broadcast HD right now so what's the chance of seeing much in 4K?
:goodone:

martinm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2005
St Albans
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Seeing OLED is first time in 7 years I've thought I'd swap my old Pioneer for that. In fact my 11 year old one doesn't embarrass itself next to most LEDs.

Mind I am sick of the media box on them and the bezels look very old fashioned now!

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree that since best 4:3 or rare 16:9 CRT gave way to 16:9 thinner visual displays that people/the market have gone bonkers.

Good is good, preferably good-value.

eastsoutheast

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Nov 13, 2011
Wimblington Cambridgeshire
AKA
Brian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interestingly, in my brief reading, it seems that what we perceive to be motion blur is nowadays more down to "eye-tracking", how the eye and brain work together, than the speed at which pixels can switch or the persistence of pixels. I don't know enough about screen technology, but I wonder if that is the case, why many people still perceive the motion blur to be less on a plasma display than on an LCD display?
I believe its down to the pixel refresh rate. My son has a dedicated PC gaming LCD screen with a 2MS refresh rate and suffers no blurring. I don't know enough technically but believe Plasmas refresh quicker hence the lack of motion blur.

Curved screens can be no more than a gimmick designed to create another reason to buy a new TV. I can see the benefit on a super large screen (thinking imax) or a personal viewing device like a phone or iPad but not a TV.

alienprophet

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2013
Kent
AKA
Bob
I think all tvs need recalibrating correctly at home and are always set up to look "impressive" at first glance in a store.

As for picture and based purely on tvs i have seen working i still find a decent plasma gives the most natural picture.

styles997

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 17, 2008
Devon
AKA
Simon
I like a tv that offers great user manual setups, hate hate hate the presets on all sets. As for motion blur, it was always a big issue for me and i find personally causes headache and fatigue. I ended up with a Phillips 8000 series set and the picture is top notch! It has motion plus thingy which completely smooths out all tracking problems, flicker and blur. Admitedly it does it too well if turned up to max as everything is too smooth, but on the lowest setting it's fantastic! Great TV just let down by a sluggish menu and OS.

gazar

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 24, 2007
Aberdeen. Scotland
AKA
Gaz
I have been looking at the Samsung UE55UH8500. It gets very good reviews. The bigger curved screen seems to have a broader sweet spot. Lack of 4k or UHD content is a bit of a problem but the upscaling is reported to be very good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles