curved oled tv

paulf-2007

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2008
souf east for work
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
was conned into walking round Bluewater this morning saw the Samsung ( I think ) curved tv. Close up ( 2 feet ) it doesn't look as good as my panny plasma and at a sensible distance its so sharp its not natural. Real life just doesn't look like the pictures on these TV's, the future doesn't look bright, well not as bright as these TV's anyway. Another gripe is movement on led still looks blurry on the edges. Long live my panny is all I can say. I do have to put up with this on our lounge tv but then that's just for mundane viewing.

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
was conned into walking round Bluewater this morning saw the Samsung ( I think ) curved tv. Close up ( 2 feet ) it doesn't look as good as my panny plasma and at a sensible distance its so sharp its not natural. Real life just doesn't look like the pictures on these TV's, the future doesn't look bright, well not as bright as these TV's anyway. Another gripe is movement on led still looks blurry on the edges. Long live my panny is all I can say. I do have to put up with this on our lounge tv but then that's just for mundane viewing.
Just been into John Lewis looking for a new TV and looked at the new 4K screens and have to agree that they look unnatural, either that or my eyesight is crap as they are just too detailed. They look as though everything has been enhanced to beyond normal.

Sir_Franc

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 10, 2005
East Sussex
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Don't take what you see in the shops as a reference. Tv's are always set up far too bright, colourful & contrast too near the max to attract the attention of the customers. Sort of who can shout the loudest. Set these up propely and I reckon the quality would be far better.

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Who wants to see individual hairs on a Zebra from 60 metres away.......that's not what anyone would normally see, unless you are an alien :shock:

paulf-2007

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2008
souf east for work
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
the quality is too good Rick is what we are saying I think. I guess joe public wants them to look better than real life, perhaps real life is drab. I don't think I could sit and watch that tv on a long term basis. A bit like avant garde, initial euphoria turns into fatigue.

Don't take what you see in the shops as a reference. Tv's are always set up far too bright, colourful & contrast too near the max to attract the attention of the customers. Sort of who can shout the loudest. Set these up propely and I reckon the quality would be far better.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
LED and OLED are not the same thing. The OLED shouldn't blur at the edges with movement. You must have seen the new 4K curved LED machine.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-35303_1-57616606/samsungs-ces-2014-tvs-curved-and-4k-leds-but-no-new-oled-or-plasma/

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
Was looking at the modern TV's over xmas in our local store and have to agree,everything looked cartoon like to me,pity as I quite fancy a smart tv,but think I will make do with our 11 year old panny plasma until it dies as it just looks more natural to me.

D

Dayvan cowboy

Read a report yesterday that suggested these curved tv,s have a very small sweet spot , so unless you live on your own with a big old armchair positioned just right , seem a bit pointless

Pierre The Bear

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 19, 2009
LEEDS
AKA
John
Was looking at the modern TV's over xmas in our local store and have to agree,everything looked cartoon like to me,pity as I quite fancy a smart tv,but think I will make do with our 11 year old panny plasma until it dies as it just looks more natural to me.
Your right about in store demo TV's they are just badly set up.

Out of the box my smart tv was too bright and just unnatural looking but with half an hours tinkering it was far better.

qu-be-2

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 16, 2008
Salford, UK
AKA
Jaedon
You can achieve a superior picture on almost any television set by intensive tweaking of the colour, contrast, sharpness and colour temperature settings. These sets will have been installed with everything on maximum or very near to, as Sir_Franc said, to attract attention from would be buyers. Also, LED refers only to the backlight technology within the set, as opposed to the older CCFL technology. All of these sets are LCD which inherently isn't as good with motion as plasma. OLED on the other hand is a completely new technology using an organic compound to emit light in response to an electric current. All of these technologies have their good and bad points, but for me, LCD is still the best compromise :) .

paulf-2007

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2008
souf east for work
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
I find it bizarre that there has been no research done on how the eye reacts to TV motion. They are making these high resolution TVs, but there needs to be some work done on what resolution, frame rate, blur etc work best. But no, let's just produce some stuff with big numbers...

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There has been some, although quite a lot of the findings might result in proprietary technology and may never be published in the public domain. There was a reasonably long thread on AVS forums with some references to academic papers, and the website Blur Busters (although mainly related to reducing blur for gaming) also has some references. I can share the links if you like.

Here is a link to a paper on modelling it in the Transactions of Image Processing http://videoprocessing.ucsd.edu/~stanleychan/publication/TIP2011_LCD.pdf . When I was doing my PhD, one of my fellow students in the department was looking at how the eye/brain relationship perceives moving objects on screen in a particular scenario, and how this might impact on technology - can't say much more than that due to the nature of the sponsorship for the research.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interestingly, in my brief reading, it seems that what we perceive to be motion blur is nowadays more down to "eye-tracking", how the eye and brain work together, than the speed at which pixels can switch or the persistence of pixels. I don't know enough about screen technology, but I wonder if that is the case, why many people still perceive the motion blur to be less on a plasma display than on an LCD display?

Sir_Franc

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 10, 2005
East Sussex
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Calibration settings for most models can be found on the web. Worth typing your tv model & "calibration settings", on Google. It improved my Panny plasma and Sony LCD tv's.

paulf-2007

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2008
souf east for work
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:^ Will do, was waiting for my mate to come over and set my panny up with his proper kit but his wife just had a baby so he is a busy boy these days
Calibration settings for most models can be found on the web. Worth typing your tv model & "calibration settings", on Google. It improved my Panny plasma and Sony LCD tv's.

Mr_Sukebe

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2009
London, , United Kin
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I also saw on in JL recently. Like yourself, felt that the pictures on first looking at it looked terrible. Massively oversaturated and unnatural. I had the assistant tone down the settings using "cinema" mode. Have to say, that once he'd done that, looked stunnig to me. Really good black levels that made it feel far more 3 dimensional.

68rednose

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2013
Mainland Europe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Who wants to see individual hairs on a Zebra from 60 metres away.......that's not what anyone would normally see, unless you are an alien :shock:
:^ Now we're talking out of this world quality... ;-)

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
They will give you a very rough idea, but no two TVs of the same model output the same, the sources that feed them are different and more even more importantly, ambient light levels will vary hugely between different households.

If you want to get the best out of your TV investment, budget in £150-£200 for a trained ISF calibrator to come and do it for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles