• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Darren and James's Amp swap blog

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Scene 1. Exterior. Travelodge Car park - Littlehampton.

A tall dark handsome man stands next to his trusty Mondeo, waiting for the young scamp in his Peugot 106 Rallye to arrive....

Oh I can't be arsed. Sorry. it seamed like a good idea when I started writing it, but I really haven't got the energy to do it justice...

I'll cut to the chase...we swapped amps a few hours ago. I now have Darrens NAD S300 plumbed into my system and after a few hours listening I will probably cry when I have to give it back..

I'll write a bit of a review later. Suffice to say... wanna wanna wanna. Now I know what my speakers can do. I thought they were good. Now I know they are awesome.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The S300 came out before year 2000. If it is still excellent now, imagine how truly magnificent its successor is...
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

060622115937-430-m3_3-4r-copy.jpg

time to buy
wink.png

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
Hello, James, I'm back home and listening to your lovely amp.

It's not quite the beast that the NAD is but a very well built and attractive thing nonetheless.

I like what I'm hearing with the Densen. It is brighter, but not harsh, which is good for me.

I'll let it warm up for a while and give it a hard listen later on.

PS - you haven't damaged the volume knob on the NAD - I did - so don't worry
smile.png

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am surprised you thought the densen sounded bright compared to the NAD. I hadn't noticed any difference in this regard.

It's amazing how the relation ship between the amp and the speaker can drastically change the perceived characteristics of both.

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
HiFiWigWam wrote:

I am surprised you thought the densen sounded bright compared to the NAD. I hadn't noticed any difference in this regard.It's amazing how the relation ship between the amp and the speaker can drastically change the perceived characteristics of both.
Yes, it certainly is brighter to me - not in a bad way i.e. nasty treble - but more open midrange. People say that Dyns are nice, neutral monitors, so this could be the reason.

I don't know much about the Triangles other than being sensitive and French?

How is life with a remote?!

Does the amp seem much more powerful?

Is it too big for wife appeal?

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wife appeal is not a problem. The fact it doesn't fit in the bottom of the rack means the CD player is relegated to the basement. But that's no problem either.

It does realy partner the triangles well. They are very BIG sounding speakers and the power of the NAD is audible.
party4.gif.af93715a971cd102256f35cade2c9c1e.gif

Do you think the Bass is different? I am not sure what I am getting here. With most recordings the NAD adds a nice texture to the bass. But when it gets deep the NAD can boom a little.

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
HiFiWigWam wrote:

Wife appeal is not a problem. The fact it doesn't fit in the bottom of the rack means the CD player is relegated to the basement. But that's no problem either. It does realy partner the triangles well. They are very BIG sounding speakers and the power of the NAD is audible.
party4.gif.af93715a971cd102256f35cade2c9c1e.gif

Do you think the Bass is different? I am not sure what I am getting here. With most recordings the NAD adds a nice texture to the bass. But when it gets deep the NAD can boom a little.
Yes, James, different is a word I'd use to describe the bass too
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

I don't think the Densen has any more or any less bass than the NAD; it has tighter, more punchy bass though.

I look forward to giving it a proper listen later.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
SSM wrote:

The S300 came out before year 2000. If it is still excellent now, imagine how truly magnificent its successor is...
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
060622115937-430-m3_3-4r-copy.jpg

time to buy
wink.png
Not as good actually Solid, by quite a long chalk. It looksspiffing though and sounds nice enough.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFiWigWam wrote:

Scene 1. Exterior. Travelodge Car park - Littlehampton.A tall dark handsome man stands next to his trusty Mondeo, waiting for the young scamp in his Peugot 106 Rallye to arrive....

Oh I can't be arsed. Sorry. it seamed like a good idea when I started writing it, but I really haven't got the energy to do it justice...

I'll cut to the chase...we swapped amps a few hours ago. I now have Darrens NAD S300 plumbed into my system and after a few hours listening I will probably cry when I have to give it back..

I'll write a bit of a review later. Suffice to say... wanna wanna wanna. Now I know what my speakers can do. I thought they were good. Now I know they are awesome.
I have the pre and power version of that amp James, the S100/S200. Nice to hear someone say positive things about the Silver Series - most people tend to look down on my system when they see the word 'NAD' but I've rarely heard better tbh.

jagdesign

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
London
Hmmm, will definitely be interested in your thoughts on the Densen Darren, I love everything about mine though I reckon it could do with being a tad more powerful. As we all know, the dyn's need a fair bit of grunt to sound their best.

I usually have my B-100 turned up to about 10:30ish, but I've read that it's usually not a great idea to go past 11 as a lot of amps start to clip at this level,dunno if this is true or not though? I just don't wanna damage my baby.

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
Just in case anybody was interested, and for info, James has lent me the "gold knob" series of the Beat 100, which he tells me is the earlier model.

It is a very fun amp, and although less powerful than the beast that is the NAD, it doesn't sound weedy. The NAD is great though in that you can keep turning it up without noticeable clipping to my ears.
smile.png

I'm listening to the new Arctic Monkeys album at the moment at a decent volume. This will tell me if the amp is something that I could live with, as sound could potentially be harsh and unlistenable with such a recording.

No remote is bloody annoying!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kinchitshaw