Paul CS

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2014
NE London
AKA
Paul
[SIZE=9pt]Hello everyone [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Please find for sale my David Berning Pre One preamp and ZH 230 power amp.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]I have owned both from new. They came to me direct from the David Berning Company[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Condition is as mint/excellent. The only things you’ll see some marks on the base of the PreOne which is from Stillpoints hence the “excellent”.  [/SIZE]I have all original packing, manuals etc

[SIZE=9pt]Lot’s of pictures here from my Flikr site. Below is a small selection.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Berning by Paul, on Flickr[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Plus a video here so you can see them working. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Bernings by Paul, on Flickr[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]I’d like to achieve £7250 for both but of course happy to negotiate. I’ll also consider selling them individually at £3900 each.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Over the years I’ve had top Naim amps, Jeff Rowland, Vitus, Moon, Mark Levinson and then I discovered David Berning. My first one was the ZH 270. Amazing. Then I got the the PreOne and ZH230 which took me to a new universe. I thought that’s me done with amps because despite trying other amps costing much more, I could not find anything better. These reviews say it better than me….[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/442[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]http://davidberning.com/Files/reviews/Berning-ZH230-TAS-76862_eprint.pdf[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/david-berning-zotl-one-preamp-and-zh-230-power-amp-hi-fi-80/[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]More details...[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Valves in the PreOne: I have some very special tubes I can include (if you are interested) that have cost me hundreds of pounds. These include Cifte 12AU7 (platinum grade cryro treated) in the Pre-One. I’ve tried lot’s of valve combination including RCA, Mullard, Philips, PSVane and the Ciftie’s are by far the best. Absolutely transforms the Pre One.[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Valves in the ZH230 Power amp: I have Telefunken ECC801S (yes “S”!) and Mullard Cryo / ECC82/CV4003-CRYO from Watford Valves in the ZH230. This gives me medium to low feedback setting. That combination of valves gives a beautifully engaging, transparent, super agile and musically addictive performance. [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]All valves were bought by me and were balanced and matched. If you know David Berning amps, you know valves last a lifetime in them, so they sound as fresh as new.[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

Why HiFiWigwam?[SIZE=9pt] I have sold a few bits here and I know there is a following for David Berning amps. I have considered selling on Audio Market but I would much prefer a UK buyer. Ideally someone that can come over, have a good listen, carry out a detailed inspection and together, we careful pack the amps before parting with your money. It’s a lot of money to spend! By the way, after [/SIZE]careful[SIZE=9pt] consideration, you’ll also see my amps on another forum with an appreciation for David Berning ( ....Fish).[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Depending on where you live, we can talk about me delivering it to you.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]So, finally[/SIZE], why am I selling? There can only be one reason! I’m buying the bigger Berning QZ mono power amps! An unexpected dream that came true :) I need the money to fund the big brothers.

[SIZE=9pt]I’d be delighted to answer any question. Please send me a PM and then we can exchange emails and telephone numbers.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Thanks for looking.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Paul[/SIZE]

batteredhaggis

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 29, 2013
East Sussex
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I met Paul a few years ago and was glad I did. He is utterly straightforward and a delightful guy to deal with. 

He keeps one of the most beautifully considered systems I've ever heard and I can only imagine how good it must now sound with the Berning monos.

These are very nicely made, if not the most impressive boxes compared with a lot of high end hifi. Refreshingly lightweight (boxes) - until you hear them. If you have the mindset to spend this kind of money on quirky components without the usual pretension that accompanies purchases at this level, then you won't be disappointed.

One of the true wake up moments in all my hifi experience.

A 'GLWTS' is definitely in order.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: kneesup

Frizzy brizzy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Owned a set, wow, in particular the phono stage is worth the cost of pre alone. The headphone stage is linked directly to valves and sounds extraordinairily alive sounding. Casing is lightweight but beautifully made, and ability to lift without a friends help s a godsend. Looks cool in flesh too. I envy your step up to the monos .

• Upvote
Reactions: Vincent52

kneesup

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2013
Wiltshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I met Paul a few years ago and was glad I did. He is utterly straightforward and a delightful guy to deal with. 

He keeps one of the most beautifully considered systems I've ever heard and I can only imagine how good it must now sound with the Berning monos.

These are very nicely made, if not the most impressive boxes compared with a lot of high end hifi. Refreshingly lightweight (boxes) - until you hear them. If you have the mindset to spend this kind of money on quirky components without the usual pretension that accompanies purchases at this level, then you won't be disappointed.

One of the true wake up moments in all my hifi experience.

A 'GLWTS' is definitely in order.

Just the sort of recommendation you'd expect from Jamie, who doesn't do so lightly. Inspires great confidence. I'd love a punt on these but I can't drop that kind of cash just now. Beautiful. 

Paul CS

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2014
NE London
AKA
Paul
Thanks for your comments guys. Yes I am a very lucky boy!

Still for sale. 

Don't feel shy to make an offer.

Cheers

Paul

• Upvote
Reactions: IanS

Paul CS

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2014
NE London
AKA
Paul
Just a little update. Lots of interest. Just waiting  on a couple of people who want both but gathering the cash. First one wins (in the nicest way).

Paul

Paul CS

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2014
NE London
AKA
Paul
Guys, watch out for a scammer using my pics and my description and offering "his" amps for €2500.

I have reported him.

Thanks

Paul

Electrostatic1

New Wammer
May 28, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Did this gear sell in the end? Am looking for a Pre One.  Any info on where i can source one in the UK, or at a pinch in the US would be welcome.

Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles