• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

DC Female Receptacle

lexi

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 5, 2008
Glasgow, ,
I am replacing the phono plug on my 16v phono stage.

The old one has 2 solder pins. The new one has 2 pins and a spade so is switched supply I presume.

Which pins do I use on the new plug?

baltika_no_9

Entropy Magnet
Wammer
Sep 28, 2005
Clanfield, Hampshire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The title says DC Female Receptacle but that looks to me like it is a male as it has a pin (there are two variants of the pin size). Anyway for normal use it looks to me that you'll be using pins 1 and 3. A multimeter should confirm that's correct.

Cheers

Edit: You say you're replacing the phono plug but the part you've identified looks like a DC power connector rather than a phono (RCA) one.

lexi

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 5, 2008
Glasgow, ,
The socket shown goes behind the panel of phono stage much the same as yours( Project Valve Phono box) The 16 v transformer from 240v supply goes into that socket with the small jack (female) I am assuming that I just use meter to check that pins 2 and 3 are continuous and pin 1 is separate?

baltika_no_9

Entropy Magnet
Wammer
Sep 28, 2005
Clanfield, Hampshire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The socket shown goes behind the panel of phono stage much the same as yours( Project Valve Phono box) The 16 v transformer from 240v supply goes into that socket with the small jack (female) I am assuming that I just use meter to check that pins 2 and 3 are continuous and pin 1 is separate?
No, pins 2 and 3 will be connected until something is plugged into it as that's the design of the socket. Stick your new plug on the end of your 16V power supply as it would be if it were installed in the phono stage and check which two pins have a voltage difference of 16V and noting the polarity. It will probably be pins 1 and 3. You can then remove the old one and install the new one making sure that you retain the polarity.

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought i knew about males and females until you look at the connector industry. Bassicaly females have a hole and males have a bit which stickout. So you can get things like a female socket with a male pin ! And any another combinations. Looking at your socket, you just need to use the centre pin and the connector which mates with the sheath of the male plug. There should be one pin left unconnected which is the switched contact of the socket and is normally used with internal battery packs etc.

Looks like 1 and 3 are the pins to use with 2 unconnected.

Alan

lexi

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 5, 2008
Glasgow, ,
All done. tested for continuity, then voltage. Music and test record all good and what a sweet valve phono on the end of a Kel 84.

Many Thanks Gents.

Willie Garvin

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 19, 2009
Near Huddersfield sadly!!
AKA
Mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
woman,man,toilet.jpg

Could this be classed as a AC/DC Female Receptacle!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx