Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
dCS Bartók review | What Hi-Fi? (whathifi.com)

same DAC , totally different findings!

Verdict

While the Bartók is very much an entry-level product in dCS terms, it packs a full dose of the company’s proprietary technologies into its well-built aluminium casework. It’s well specified and nice to use and, most importantly, one of the best sounding digital sources we’ve heard at this level. Recommended? You bet.

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Verdict

While the Bartók is very much an entry-level product in dCS terms, it packs a full dose of the company’s proprietary technologies into its well-built aluminium casework. It’s well specified and nice to use and, most importantly, one of the best sounding digital sources we’ve heard at this level. Recommended? You bet.
Any idea how it compares to the  esoteric N-05XD sir . I've lately become a bit of a esoteric fan boy :)

I've hated my esoteric K-01 for almost 5 years. Tried selling it numerous times, but always failed. But a combination of room treatment and change in amplification have resulted in a stunning sound. I've tried the newer dac champions, even one highly recommended by ASR. But I still love the esoteric in the end :)

Miller-8

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Verdict

Can we trust magazine reviews? Especially of high end kit.

Miller-8

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's almost as if opinions are subjective, isn't it!
Are they really to that extent. He said the Bartok was out-resolved by a Gustard X26 Pro which costs £1200 and sounds like a Chord Qutest with better soundstage.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: lindsayt

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm finding this "smoothing off the transients" idea a little hard to understand. How could a DAC be designed to do that, even deliberately?
Perhaps it could be a byproduct of the upsampling technology.

But I would keep in mind that, being a description of a perceived effect, it is possible that it is not literal.

Blzebub

Thundering bigot
Wammer
Dec 22, 2015
Stamford, Lincs
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Perhaps it could be a byproduct of the upsampling technology.

But I would keep in mind that, being a description of a perceived effect, it is possible that it is not literal.
What sort of byproduct?

I'd be surprised if it's literal, TBH.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What sort of byproduct?

I'd be surprised if it's literal, TBH.
I need to watch the video and it is not possible at the moment.

Some types of distortion could be responsible for a perceived and even a literal “smoothing of transients”, but even with a comprehensive set of measurements it may not be readily apparent.

Miller-8

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm finding this "smoothing off the transients" idea a little hard to understand. How could a DAC be designed to do that, even deliberately?
Many DACs do that to some extent. Why? I don't know. But he criticised the Chord Qutest for it, too:

• Upvote
Reactions: Nativebon

Miller-8

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you read the comments in his review someone asks what might make the sound "soft" and he replied:

"There's a few things that could explain it. Mediocre jitter performance, the high levels of ultrasonic noise etc. Its hard to say for certain as there isn't really any concrete research into what links subjective aspects such as softness to various objective aspects..."

• Upvote
Reactions: tuga

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can we trust magazine reviews? Especially of high end kit.
The short answer is no.

The long answer is maybe, but definitely not WHF?. GoldenSound is reasonably knowledgeable and thorough and worth watching. But his preference may not match yours. That is why I find subjective reviews of little worth and only read the technical assessment.

Miller-8

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The short answer is no.

The long answer is maybe, but definitely not WHF?. GoldenSound is reasonably knowledgeable and thorough and worth watching. But his preference may not match yours. That is why I find subjective reviews of little worth and only read the technical assessment.
His review is very thorogh and covers all bases really. He compares the Bartok to several other devices which he has access to. Technical assessments only tell you so much.

• Upvote

whitehart

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2011
East Sussex
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
AKA
Mac
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As someone who has recently bought a dCS Bartok, non headphone stage unit, I can only speak as I find and using my own ears, it, without doubt, has raised my set up to the most breathtaking levels of SQ I've heard and not a hint of grain or brightness.

Like any piece of kit, it has to be heard for yourself, preferably in your own system, before dismissing it after reading/watching reviews.

Mac

DexterPi

Wammer
Mar 22, 2019
Northamptonshire
AKA
Duncan clare
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Haven't watched the video, but I take it was fully run in and not a new out the box, as I have heard the bartock many times and even in my own system and loved it.

Having said that, I got the rossini in the end as that is simply stunning 

Reactions: whitehart

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As someone who has recently bought a dCS Bartok
I got the rossini in the end as that is simply stunning
The fact that a piece of equipment sounds good to us is not indicative of its absolute technical or objective performance.

Ultimately the former is what matters most, and why I suggest that people listen if they are curious.

But, in my view, one must not confuse the two and keep that in mind when making recommendations or in the way one defends one’s damsel.

That is why whenever someone, naively, asks for equipment suggestions the fist 10 or 20 replies will all recommend an equal number of different models, all excellent and great sounding in the optic of the poster but not necessarily to the OP whose taste cannot match that of people who suggest a dozen different speakers, cartridges or DACs.

There are pieces of equipment which perform better in absolute terms (comparatively) than others. That does not mean that such equipment will sound good to most people, and this in turn may or may not reduce the importance of objective performance as a metric of listening satisfaction. On top of that, a stereo playback is a system consisting of different parts which have to work “well” together and each room will imprint its sonic signature on the final outcome, which as noted depends on several factors that will then have to match a particular listener’s preference. Oversimplification does not help, nor does misunderstanding critical, rational assessment as an attack on a particular favourite brand or our own preference.

In audio, technical performance is absolute but preference is relative.

An Audi R8 may be more effective and lap faster around a circuit but a TVR Tuscan might provide a more exciting driving experience and some people will rate that higher.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The fact that a piece of equipment sounds good to us is not indicative of its absolute technical or objective performance.

Ultimately the former is what matters most, and why I suggest that people listen if they are curious.

But, in my view, one must not confuse the two and keep that in mind when making recommendations or in the way one defends one’s damsel.

That is why whenever someone, naively, asks for equipment suggestions the fist 10 or 20 replies will all recommend an equal number of different models, all excellent and great sounding in the optic of the poster but not necessarily to the OP whose taste cannot match that of people who suggest a dozen different speakers, cartridges or DACs.

There are pieces of equipment which perform better in absolute terms (comparatively) than others. That does not mean that such equipment will sound good to most people, and this in turn may or may not reduce the importance of objective performance as a metric of listening satisfaction. On top of that, a stereo playback is a system consisting of different parts which have to work “well” together and each room will imprint its sonic signature on the final outcome, which as noted depends on several factors that will then have to match a particular listener’s preference. Oversimplification does not help, nor does misunderstanding critical, rational assessment as an attack on a particular favourite brand or our own preference.

In audio, technical performance is absolute but preference is relative.

An Audi R8 may be more effective and lap faster around a circuit but a TVR Tuscan might provide a more exciting driving experience and some people will rate that higher.
:goodone:

• Thanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles