Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I haven't heard the 9200 but own the 5200, which I think are great headphones, and from what I've read the 9200 are better in every way so I would say they were pretty good.

Audinista

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 18, 2009
United Kingdom
AKA
Alexander
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I haven't heard the 9200 but own the 5200, which I think are great headphones, and from what I've read the 9200 are better in every way so I would say they were pretty good.
I wouldn't draw any conclusions here tbh.  From what I've read, the 7200 sound very different compared to the 9200, so the 5200 may differ considerably as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Spen ago

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2012
Warwickshire
AKA
Spencer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have them. I had been looking for a top closed for a very long time, tested Audeze LCDXC and many others, but all had a compromise of one sort of other.
Finally, had a few hours listening to the Dan Clark Stealth on a TOTL desktop rig and found the sound quality I was after. Only issue was £4K price tag!
Then came a day of demoing the 7200 and 9200 Denons. On a modest Naim Atom set up, but very impressed. Difference in resolution was clear, 9200 had the same sort of clarity and frequency range I found the the DCS. Superb bass, but not a forced u-shaped sound.
6months later they still impress, and benefit hugely from a powerful desktop amp, they will power nicely off a phone or tablet, but to really appreciate what they can do you need to treat them to a high quality source and amplification.
Having tried some very pricey headphones, the Denon have ended my search, now looking at tube amps 😬

Reactions: JANDL100

Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have them. I had been looking for a top closed for a very long time, tested Audeze LCDXC and many others, but all had a compromise of one sort of other.
Finally, had a few hours listening to the Dan Clark Stealth on a TOTL desktop rig and found the sound quality I was after. Only issue was £4K price tag!
Then came a day of demoing the 7200 and 9200 Denons. On a modest Naim Atom set up, but very impressed. Difference in resolution was clear, 9200 had the same sort of clarity and frequency range I found the the DCS. Superb bass, but not a forced u-shaped sound.
6months later they still impress, and benefit hugely from a powerful desktop amp, they will power nicely off a phone or tablet, but to really appreciate what they can do you need to treat them to a high quality source and amplification.
Having tried some very pricey headphones, the Denon have ended my search, now looking at tube amps 😬
How are they for comfort and do you have a small or bigger head - mine is a bit big and comfort is a major thing for me - thanks for any help!

Spen ago

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2012
Warwickshire
AKA
Spencer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How are they for comfort and do you have a small or bigger head - mine is a bit big and comfort is a major thing for me - thanks for any help!
I find them comfy, quite light, and good adjustment. My head I would say is medium, fine for me. Much better than Audeze LCDXC that I tried. Try and get a demo like I did, spent an afternoon comparing to others for sound and comfort. Still loving them

Reactions: Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I find them comfy, quite light, and good adjustment. My head I would say is medium, fine for me. Much better than Audeze LCDXC that I tried. Try and get a demo like I did, spent an afternoon comparing to others for sound and comfort. Still loving them
Thanks a lot for your reply. There aren't many hifi shops within 50 miles of me so demoing isn't easy so I may be using amazon's returns policy.. I'll wait a few days until delivery services are back to normal then order a pair to try along with a few others..!

Reactions: JANDL100

Spen ago

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2012
Warwickshire
AKA
Spencer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One thing to add, is that having owned them for a while and used a number of sources/amplifiers, they reveal the differences of what they are fed.
The best sound I have had so far has been with my main system (based around a Hegel H390), with the fixed pre out feeding a Denon PMA 850 used as headphone amp. Rich, full sound, but the main difference is the size of the soundstage, a powerful, high quality amp puts everything further away from your head(!) if that makes sense, creates space around the instruments and component parts of the music.
I demoed these on the headphone edition of the Atom, and whilst it was good, it wasn’t a patch on what I’ve heard now with the Denon PMA-850. Sure other amps can do the sound, it won’t be exclusive to this one!

Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm very interested in hands (ears) -on experiences of this sort.
Please keep us posted with your thoughts. (y)
I'm afraid I won't be feeding back any experience as I was confusing the 5200 with the 9200. One is closer to my budget than the other....

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm afraid I won't be feeding back any experience as I was confusing the 5200 with the 9200. One is closer to my budget than the other....
The 5200 is still a great headphone, some of the best bass I've heard at that price range and is totally fatigue free, I can listen all night to them.

Reactions: Freddyflybuttons

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles