Desoldering Station purchase and recommendation.

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have struggled on just using plunger operated suckers and wick but a couple of days ago I decided to give in and buy a relatively cheap Duratool D00672 Desoldering Station. There are plenty of reviews around for these but all I can say is I wish I had bought one years ago.

The only issue is the fan noise as identified by most other users due to the manufacturer using inline resistors to drop the voltage to the pump and fan. The only problem with that is the voltage only adequately drops when the pump is drawing current, otherwise the 12V rated fan is running on 18V, hence the noise.

But YouTube to the rescue and I have installed a 5A buck voltage reducing circuit and this works a treat with the fan now running at 12V it is barely audible compared to the jet engine noise when it was running off 18V. There are other solutions to this but the buck voltage reducer is more efficient and it is only a couple of ££ anyway. I just need to secure it in the case and then we are good to go.

So, I can highly recommend the Duratool D00672 Desoldering Station. CPC Farnell are about the cheapest sellers but there are plenty on eBay as well.

6E7DCDB1-8465-413C-9AE8-3ABDE3A13A40.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: mac72 and newlash09

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles