Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2009
Bottesford Melton
AKA
Dave Slater
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It was me. I confused TOS and SPDIF I agree I was wrong. I apologised up thread and suggested TOS alternatives. I know in the design of the Digione Allo specifically rejected TOS, I think but I'm not sure, because  of clocking issues with TOS.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It was me. I confused TOS and SPDIF I agree I was wrong. I apologised up thread and suggested TOS alternatives. I know in the design of the Digione Allo specifically rejected TOS, I think but I'm not sure, because  of clocking issues with TOS.
Dave i did not mean you there is a comment that John Darko says , or was that you just mixing it up and he did not say that in which case sorry i should of left things alone because I did read your retraction and it happens to us all .

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having both an Allo Digione with Pi3 and Pi4 I would say it does not matter. They sound so alike I would find it very hard to hear or identify which is which. 

The Pi4 has the advantage of a stand alone USB controller chip while the Pi3 shares this with the network chip. Makes a big difference if you use usb out (which I do not) much quieter . But given the separation it probably lowers internal noise as well.

Also whoever said the Allo Signature has a TOSLINK output is just plain wrong it only has two SPDIF outs on RCA and BNC but of course he would know this as he is testing the unit ?
I use my Pi 4 with usb out, into a Oppo Sonica dac  (es 9038 pro chip) and it sounds superb IMO.

Reactions: bencat

slavedata

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2009
Bottesford Melton
AKA
Dave Slater
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting comment here from a much admired designer of Dac and digital audio equipment about batteries for powering devices:

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]In Sept 2018, John Westlake posted opinions about battery power on his Facebook page:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]“It’s an often repeated fallacy that battery supplies are low noise - this is simply not true - battery rely on a chemical process. This chemical noise is dependent on the type of Cells used - the lowest being lead acid cells. I learnt the hard way about battery noise when designing the battery PSU for the Pink Triangle PIP II and Dacapo...[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Lithium cells are VERY noisy - they have a shot-noise type distribution, worst still, most Lithium cell type battery packs use switching PSU to convert their typical cell voltage of ~ 3.6V to something more usable...[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I see battery supply benefit- not so much in their claimed "low" noise performance (there is something more salient going on here) - but lower system noise due to mains isolation.”[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Reactions: Gizza

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's correct, they found there was more jitter when using Toslink.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles