• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Digital Source Question.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Regarding CD transports, I’m using a Teac VRDS 7 into my CXNV2 which uses 2 Wolfsen Dacs and sounds lovely. The VRDS on its own sounds more laid back. 

A transport being bit perfect should be all you need but it’s not the be all and end all. 

One of my favourites is the Meridian 500 CDT just something about it that pulls things all together.. when I find one cheap enough, I’ll probably get one again.
Ah, but there, you are talking about different DACs (and analogue stages), so I am not surprised at all. The point here is whether a different transport feeding into the CXNV2 would sound different to the VRDS feeding it.

Many years ago I had a Musical Fidelity A3.2CD and bought an Audio Note DAC Zero and CDT Zero transport. I was absolutely convinced that the combination sounded signifcantly different to the DAC Zero fed by the digital out from the 3.2. So convinced, in fact, that I had a wager with a pal that I could with complete certainty tell the difference blind.

I lost. Hopelessly. I'd still somehow like to believe it, but common sense tells me that whilst DACs can sure as hell sound different, depending on the chip, implementation and audio section, there is no reason why transports can or could.

Bodgit

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wav files might sound better than flac as the streamer is doing less work with the flac file.  I can hear a slight difference between streaming through the SBT going digital into the Wadia vs playing the CD on the Wadia...only the transport/digital streaming is different, but the difference in SQ is marginal. Not sure if i could tell the difference in a blind test its that small.

In the digital domain is all to do with the timing of the 1s and 0s.

Mr Underhill

Reviewer
Reviewer
Apr 9, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have an Oppo that sounds great  :clout:
I do too, especially if controlled by Kazoo via Bubbleupnp - the Oppo app ain't too hot.

That said is it as good as my Linn Klimax Renew via my EAR868? No.

Here I find the differences akin to fine wine, that is as you are exposed to a range of options your tastes are educated & refined. Whether those differences are important to you is another question.

As it happens as much as I enjoy the Linn/EAR I am currently listening to the Oppo.

Reactions: newlash09

VinylSlug

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Northumberland, UK
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been wondering about a dedicated CDT lately. I have an Onkyo c7030 that I use as a transport and I'm impressed with how detailed it sounds. As comparison I dug out an old Mission DAD5 CD Player that I bought in the 90s - this player received mixed reviews at the time as a CD Player, but very favourable reviews when used as a Transport. What surprised me was how much better the Onkyo sounded. Same DAC, same cable but the Onkyo sounded punchier somehow, and more engaging. The Mission wasn't necessary less detailed and with A/B comparison there was practically nothing between them, but I found I drifted off when listening to the DAD5 over time, whereas with the Onkyo I was kept interested and totally engaged in the music. As a consequence of this very basic experiment I concluded that a Transport does make a difference. Would spending over £1000 on a dedicated transport be a significant improvement though? That's what I'm not sure of. My uncertainty is possibly down to the fact that I don't understand why there's a difference. As many have said, '1s and 0s.' Having said that, the Onkyo also sounds better (more real? more engaging.) than lossless data streamed from my server. 

ian917

Status Unknown
Wammer
Aug 4, 2018
North Warwickshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
"in theory there is no difference between theory and practice, while in practice there is" - Benjamin Brewster (1882)

Not sure you'll get significant improvement but I do like well made dedicated transports.

Tune

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2006
Maidenhead, , United
AKA
Michael
I really wouldn't worry about a digital source. My best "demo" stuff is recorded from vinyl to double speed DSD which is then converted to analogue on a cheapish recorder. it's then converted to digital (PCM) again before being converted back to analogue to feed the speakers.

If someone ever plays me a better sounding set up I will be gob smacked.

In the 21st Century you put your money into the speakers that work with the room, then an amplifier to power them properly IME.

• Upvote
Reactions: newlash09 and Lee M

mr neds

Wammer
Wammer
May 6, 2008
SE London, , Uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mister Tune- I have no idea what you're talking about- analogue to digital to analogue to digital to analogue- what's that in today's money??

• Haha
M

Millennium

Just means chill. 
I agree it's all Chilling, the studios you can deffo hear their basic XLR connections generally (with the poss exception of Radio 1 BBC Live Lounge recordings, et all) 
I would suggest if you are playing a digital source make sure your DAC line level output is 2.1V or so assuming your amplifiers are ok with this. And your Ears.

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I agree it's all Chilling, the studios you can deffo hear their basic XLR connections generally (with the poss exception of Radio 1 BBC Live Lounge recordings, et all) 
I would suggest if you are playing a digital source make sure your DAC line level output is 2.1V or so assuming your amplifiers are ok with this. And your Ears.
What do you mean about the xlr & 2.1v? Can you elaborate please?

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
if you are playing a digital source make sure your DAC line level output is 2.1V or so assuming your amplifiers are ok with this.
Why?

I'd say that in most cases going into a conventional integrated or pre-amp that we'd be better off if DACs had lower output levels, to avoid excessive attenuation needing to be applied with the volume pot. There is some merit to the argument for using an attenuator at the amp input specifically to reduce the DAC output levels to reduce this problem.

Tune

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2006
Maidenhead, , United
AKA
Michael
 the studios you can deffo hear their basic XLR connections generally (with the poss exception of Radio 1 BBC Live Lounge recordings, et all) 
Could you let me know which studios (and associated artists if possible) are using these awful connectors so that I can avoid buying anything recorded using such degrading practices? Would be really helpful.

• Haha
M

Millennium

I respectfully bow out of this topic. In my very limited experience DACs that can output 2v or so (or at least list this in the spec) are better in the <100 or <200 price range.

Sorry if I confused the subject here.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I respectfully bow out of this topic. In my very limited experience DACs that can output 2v or so (or at least list this in the spec) are better in the <100 or <200 price range.
I'll be honest and say I don't think I've ever heard a DAC that didn't have an output at around 2V, since this is pretty standard. If comparing to a DAC with a significantly lower output it would be very important to adjust the volume between the two in order to be as consistent as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx