Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Up for sale is my trusty Consonance Basie valve pre amp.
Although ostensibly a kit amp this one was effectively 'factory-built' as the original builder sent it to a trade individual who completed the build for him (forgotten the details).
It came to me via Montesquieu in the first place and was then sold to Speedracer and then it ended up back here.
It was sent immediately to Jessica_k for a service and a revalve. (There is the original Mullard GZ34 rectifier valve in there still which I bought from Valvebloke.)

Its been happily doing duty for 6 months or so in my mono system but its time to move it on.

I'm asking £350.

There have been some useful upgrades from the original kit, such as ALPs knobs and I spotted a Black Gate cap in there too. All the usual inputs and outputs (all RCA).
It has a lot of gain, so be mindful of that when partnering.

Picture to follow..

Jack NSM

Last edited:

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This pre amp can come up with me on the Wam Taxi this weekend.

From my starting point in West Sussex I take in Manchester, the old West Riding area of Yorkshire and across to Selby to the east and back down the M1, and across to the A34 at Oxford and then south to the M3 and M27 (and home!).

Jack NSM

BarefootGuy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 10, 2021
Hi,

I'm wondering if this pre-amp would work well with one of my Quad power amps? I have a 303, 405-2, and a 306. Am just concerned about the high gain you mentioned.

Can I just clarify that the amp was serviced 6 months ago?

I am also wondering if this is for collection only or if you are willing to post.

Kind regards...

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jessica_k serviced this recently. It was revalved where necessary and tested at a recent bake off at my flat.
Its been a wonderful servant to me and performs reliably.

You may be aware that I travel up and down the country with Wammers' kit - so the question I have for you is 'where do you live?'

Jack NSM

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My hifi mate is visiting me next Monday and Tuesday and I can ask him to bring his Quad 405.
We will try it with the Consonance in my second system.
Oh, and the original owner of the Basie was Bottleneck, of this Parish.

Jack

BarefootGuy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 10, 2021
My hifi mate is visiting me next Monday and Tuesday and I can ask him to bring his Quad 405.
We will try it with the Consonance in my second system.
Oh, and the original owner of the Basie was Bottleneck, of this Parish.

Jack
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the info. This would be my first dip into valves, having moved from the usual big name electronics to refurbished Quad vintage gear in recent times. I've always been intreged by valves and have heard a lot about their smooth sound, but have never heard any myself. I thought your pre-amp would be a cost effective way of having a go myself to hear what its all about.

I live in Stevenage, Hertfordshire. Any chance you may be passing here in the near future?

If you could test it with a 405, that would be great. My concern is the input sensitivity of these amps is usually pretty high. I think the 405 is 0.5v.

Last edited:

Lokes

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Aardvark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

I'm wondering if this pre-amp would work well with one of my Quad power amps? I have a 303, 405-2, and a 306. Am just concerned about the high gain you mentioned.

Can I just clarify that the amp was serviced 6 months ago?

I am also wondering if this is for collection only or if you are willing to post.

Kind regards...
It'll sound great with the 405 but you will have problems with the sensitivity of the 405, I think it's about 0.5v for full output.

If you can use a soldering iron you can alter the input sensitivity of the 405,
Plenty on the net about doing this,
It would be well worth the effort,
the 405 can shine when partnered with a
nice preamp

Reactions: BarefootGuy

BarefootGuy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 10, 2021
It'll sound great with the 405 but you will have problems with the sensitivity of the 405, I think it's about 0.5v for full output.

If you can use a soldering iron you can alter the input sensitivity of the 405,
Plenty on the net about doing this,
It would be well worth the effort,
the 405 can shine when partnered with a
nice preamp
Hi,

Thanks for that. Yes, that is my concern, that the volume will be all out loud or nothing. I'm a complete soldering novice and I wouldn't dare mess with the insides of my beloved amps myself. I may see if I can get a friend of mine (Audio engineering background) to do it for me. Will need to look into that before committing to this item, although I am tempted.

Lokes

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Aardvark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

Thanks for that. Yes, that is my concern, that the volume will be all out loud or nothing. I'm a complete soldering novice and I wouldn't dare mess with the insides of my beloved amps myself. I may see if I can get a friend of mine (Audio engineering background) to do it for me. Will need to look into that before committing to this item, although I am tempted.

Hi,

Here is a link explaining reduction of the Input sensitivity.

http://www.desmith.net/NMdS/Shack/Bernd Ludwig 405 Modifications V13.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles