• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Do I really need an " Audio Grade Network Switch "?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlash

Inactive
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
guys this hypothesis is really easy to test.

Take a Bonn8/EE8 and zyxel gs-108b v3 and with the SAME POWER SUPPLY do some A/B testing. The only difference is the clock board. Simples.
Sorry, but this is completely incorrect. The EE8 and Bonn8 have milled aluminium cases with no slots in the sides. Not simples.

Oh, and you forgot to say same cables as well as same PSU; the EE8 comes with a non-standard (non-CAT) cable. I presume this is what you meant but for avoidance of doubt and all that.

Have you heard the Zyxel vs either of these? Do they sound better to you? I have heard the EE8 and it does indeed sound better than the the Zyxel to my ears.

That’s a great starting point, then as above we’re just discussing cause and effect. Politely, natch.

Last edited:
Reactions: tuga

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It looks like my network doesn't like me inserting a router into the chain, at least not my Cisco 2960. With that installed Audiorvana Studio can't find my LinQ on the network.

If I connect my ethernet cable in directly it finds it immediately.

I have IT networking crap :mad:

I think I should ditch the Cisco and try a "normal" switch?

Or do I even need a switch? I'm using a nice Belden cable from my wireless access point into a very chunky medical grade ethernet galvanic isolation box. Maybe this is enough? PXL_20221010_085535849.jpg

Tony_J

Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
Bunessan
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It looks like my network doesn't like me inserting a router into the chain, at least not my Cisco 2960. With that installed Audiorvana Studio can't find my LinQ on the network.

Or do I even need a switch? I'm using a nice Belden cable from my netgear wireless access point into a very chunky medical grade ethernet galvanic isolation box. Maybe this is enough?
Randomly inserting a router in the chain can have unexpected consequences if both it and your ISP router are serving up DHCP - all sorts of things will stop working. Don't do that. A "normal" switch shouldn't cause any problems - but for me, the jury's out as to whether it is necessary.

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Randomly inserting a router in the chain can have unexpected consequences if both it and your ISP router are serving up DHCP - all sorts of things will stop working. Don't do that. A "normal" switch shouldn't cause any problems - but for me, the jury's out as to whether it is necessary.
ok I will put the cisco back in the drawer!

I might see if I can find a dealer who will lend me a fancy router to compare to my direct connection approach via the medical box.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think you are not using the right terms . A router is what connects to your phone line and in most cases delivers both ethernet and wireless to your network . Cisco 2960 is a network switch and is not a router just a box that allows you to add additional connections . A network switch like this needs to be connected directly to your router and then other items are connected to it and it manages the connections to each of them . If it is a managed switch then for the input connection you are using it may not be set up correctly . If it is an unmanged switch then it will automatically set itself up and should work . Apologies if you already knew all of this but your calling the Cisco a router seemed to suggest that you did not .

Reactions: TheFlash and tuga

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After adding a Cisco switch between my router and Node streamer, I did lose the Node on my network. I had to delete it on my ipad and then add it on an old iPad which worked, then after that my new ipad did reconnect. So sometimes you may have problems when adding these devices in your network. Since then no problem. Adding the Zyxel switch did not cause any such issues, just plug and play.

TheFlash

Inactive
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Or do I even need a switch? I'm using a nice Belden cable from my wireless access point into a very chunky medical grade ethernet galvanic isolation box. Maybe this is enough? PXL_20221010_085535849.jpg
A “normal” (unmanaged) switch is the way to go.

With respect to esteemed colleagues, no jury is or needs to be out. In many systems, the impact of a switch installed just before the streamer (and not where they were designed to work, plugged into the router, as we are exploiting a “side effect” of the design). This needs to be tried at home and it is cheap to do so.

TheFlash

Inactive
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ok I will put the cisco back in the drawer!

I might see if I can find a dealer who will lend me a fancy router to compare to my direct connection approach via the medical box.
As others have pointed out, you want/mean switch not router. An unmanaged one will be easier to implement (plug and play) and do the same job. There is no need to go “fancy”. You may choose to do so but there’s no point in going fancy if a basic switch makes no difference at all due to the particular nature of your setup. That would be unusual but risking £20ish to try it is a sensible first step.

TheFlash

Inactive
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In your opinion Nigel.
In your opinion it's my opinion. :)

And in your opinion it doesn’t need to be tried?

On what basis would you argue that?

Every system/network is different but most (wired ones) benefit. If @Psilonaught 's network is as I believe it may be, a switch (vanilla or not) may make little or no difference, but we need some more details to confirm that likelihood. Either way, it's a likelihood. The actual experiment would cost £20-ish and if it doesn't do anything he could sell it on easily for £10. £10 net to actually try it rather than theorising. Your argument against that is...?

Last edited:

Tony_J

Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
Bunessan
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In your opinion it's my opinion. :)

And in your opinion it doesn’t need to be tried?

On what basis would you argue that?

Every system/network is different but most (wired ones) benefit. If @Psilonaught 's network is as I believe it may be, a switch (vanilla or not) may make little or no difference, but we need some more details to confirm that likelihood. Either way, it's a likelihood. The actual experiment would cost £20-ish and if it doesn't do anything he could sell it on easily for £10. £10 net to actually try it rather than theorising. Your argument against that is...?
Nigel. It is terribly simple.

I don't feel the need to try it, at home or elsewhere for that matter. That is a fact, not an opinion. I don't have that need, and I also don't have any need to justify that to you.

When you said "This needs to be tried at home" you were expressing an opinion, and expressing it as if it was a universal need, which it clearly is not (see above). That is all.

TheFlash

Inactive
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nigel. It is terribly simple.
Yes it is.
I don't feel the need to try it, at home or elsewhere for that matter. That is a fact, not an opinion.
it is, inarguably.
I don't have that need
Clearly
and I also don't have any need to justify that to you.
You don't at all.
When you said "This needs to be tried at home" you were expressing an opinion, and expressing it as if it was a universal need, which it clearly is not (see above). That is all.
It is rock solid advice to those considering spending sums on a "fancy" switch to try a stock switch at home before they do so. That's all.

Must be about time to lock the thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
night_tripper