• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Do tubes have burn in times.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Only experience i have is that i fitted some new valves in my phono stage last weekend. TBH they sounded great out of the box and have changed very little since.

Why is the big DK not sounding how you'd like?

Remember any new amplifier will need a few hours to get singing.

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dutch journalistof the DK noted in his review that the NOS PH 88 NOS GP tubeshe was advised to usewould take 800 hrs to burn in.
whistling.gif.b56e45ab421c066833020c8ede98c081.gif

G

Due to to production issues i don't getthe DKtill the middle of Feb. Just interested in peoples experiences on this subject. Got to say the MF valve buffer i had sounded pretty good straight off the bat

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
Leeds UK, ,
duh! everything in hifi has a burn in time!

even the support platforms that PB uses have a specified 'molecular stress settlement' time!

I'm not sure about magic pebbles though

mrwippy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 6, 2006
Plymouth, UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Depends on the tube, small signal tubes take longer than power output tubes. I would also say that tubes like the 6X4/EZ90/U78/U707 take years to relly sound their best and have a life expectancy of many decades. So forthose withMinimax Pre's and Phono-Pre's you ain't heard them at there best yet:shock: I also feel that this is what Cryogenically treated tubes bring to the mix, the sound of a mature tube, but without the ageing downside

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
pre amplifier valves last for ages and can take ages to burn in

the up dated valves I bought sounded good out the box and better after 50 hours

now sounding very good

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Tubes definitely have a burn in in time from new. Takes a while for the cathode to stabilise. Usually this takes about 100 hrs or so...

Cheers,

Pete

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
nixon_fiend wrote:

duh! everything in hifi has a burn in time!even the support platforms that PB uses have a specified 'molecular stress settlement' time!

I'm not sure about magic pebbles though
For how long should I run in the granite blocks that my speakers stand on? Should I burn-in my new silver-plated power plugs by using them on the fridge for a couple of weeks before putting them in the system? How about my TT mat?

Hell, this is all so complicated.I've just realised the room was newly carpetedbefore I put the system in. Now I've got to take it all out so I can properly run-in the floor covering.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
rabski wrote:

For how long should I run in the granite blocks that my speakers stand on?
Granite is tricky - as you can imagine, the molecules move very slowly. Best performance is reached about 500 years after the plinths are cut.

I use a couple of headstones from the local Micmac Indian burial ground. Great sound, but my CDs have started flying round the room on their own....

G

meninblack wrote:

rabski wrote:
Granite is tricky - as you can imagine, the molecules move very slowly. Best performance is reached about 500 years after the plinths are cut.

I use a couple of headstones from the local Micmac Indian burial ground. Great sound, but my CDs have started flying round the room on their own....
:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao: I think Mibby's been on the Smarties Dave

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Duvet wrote:

meninblack wrote:
rabski wrote:

:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao: I think Mibby's been on the Smarties Dave
I have better tablets than smarties and on the NHS
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawuschel