Dodgy Linn

istari knight

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2005
South downs
AKA
James
Hi, just a quick question regarding something my turntables doing.....

I hadn't noticed it until tonight , when playing at 33 rpm the platterrises up & down as if its warped took the outer platter off and turned it back on and the inner platter does it as well & if i switch to 45rpm it gets worse.....

Is there something wrong with the bearing / oil ? any help would be appreciated !

PS its a Linn Basik

Thanks , James.

istari knight

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2005
South downs
AKA
James
rudolph hucker wrote:

Don't worry - I'm not bothered that you don't like Linn , everyone is entitled to there own opinion , its people like you that keep these forums interesting - imagine a forum where everybody owns & loves lp12's that would be boring in the extreme !

So instead of keeping quiet why not offer some advice , you obviously know a bit about turntables owning a bloody good one yourself - anything i should check ? or should i throw it away ?
wink.png

James
smile.png

9designs

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2006
UK
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the Basik had a plastic inner platter, check to see if this has warped with time, use a perhaps a steel rule as a straight edge.

Remove the belt, and spin the inner platter by hand , should run true....

Can you fell any free play on the bearing when you turn the inner platter.

Trade it for an LP12,
biggrin.png

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
istari knight wrote:

rudolph hucker wrote:
Don't worry - I'm not bothered that you don't like Linn , everyone is entitled to there own opinion , its people like you that keep these forums interesting - imagine a forum where everybody owns & loves lp12's that would be boring in the extreme !

So instead of keeping quiet why not offer some advice , you obviously know a bit about turntables owning a bloody good one yourself - anything i should check ? or should i throw it away ?
wink.png

James
smile.png
With so many parts it could be one of many things but a new drive belt an oil change

re set up should sort out 99% of the problems expect to pay about £75

my money would be on the motor mounts or the spindel on top of the motor that drives the belt lose grub screw being top of the list

supercapman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Bath, , United Kingd
AKA
Chris
I briefly owned a Linn Axis until I noticed that the plinth had warped :shock:as it was only made from MDF, this may be the case with yours, again use a straight edge to check.

istari knight

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2005
South downs
AKA
James
It works fine & isnt very noticable but nevertheless i think i'll sell it asap !

Shame as Johhnny at audioarigami fixed the arm & it just has had a new belt / oil
sad.png

Im not sure if i can be bothered with another turntable :Not Sure:

James.

PS. thanks for all the help !

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't give up on vinyl just because you bought a Linn...everyones entitled to one mistake!

But seriously....consider a design that has very little maintainance needed. If you choose wisely, you can also have one that sounds better than CD, only needs a couple of drops of oil every five years and otherwise it's just plug and play....and play....and play (scratched record, sorry) Talking of plugs,

Stone? Boulder?

going 2nd hand for around 4 - 600 on eBay!
biggrin.png

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yup..provided the motor is up to the job, should be fine. Except that I don't know of one that actually sounds good.

Best bet are belt drive solid chassis decks. They come in all guises, but the least coloured with the deepest bass in the whole world is

76.gif.3cbb85032d80aef89d0d9e373387958a.gif
:yeah:
76.gif.3cbb85032d80aef89d0d9e373387958a.gif

smile.png

M

murray johnson

least coloured??? that pudding! are you having a laugh?

M

murray johnson

I know its good. I'm only teasing. I've used them in the past, both the std and the Rock Ref. They aren't my favourite sounding decks but they are better than many.

Can you actually buy one at the moment though?

audioorigami

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Glasgow
AKA
j7
istari knight wrote:

Hi, just a quick question regarding something my turntables doing.....I hadn't noticed it until tonight , when playing at 33 rpm the platterrises up & down as if its warped took the outer platter off and turned it back on and the inner platter does it as well & if i switch to 45rpm it gets worse.....

Is there something wrong with the bearing / oil ? any help would be appreciated !

PS its a Linn Basik

Thanks , James.
chill baby:djermaica:

a lot of platters do this at close look...we can sort it once we know whats out

the old plater up and down trick...well lets think about it

its not the oil:fluch:

the soft alloy in the inner plater and the hardended steel bearing are easy bent slightly (mostly in transit) ----and also the alloy its self can be turned a little off perfect

the outer plater can have a similar out of balance...esp if its been dropped

i would mark the inner and outer surfaces with a bit of chalk and move the outer round a little while holdin the inner and test how much thro out u get again...you might find the problem gets worse or better...if better mark the two platters and keep them at this position

some peeps put a paper gasket in the recess in the inner plater to stop rigning this may help

the real solution is to have the plater reground or tapped into a better more concentric spin...it may not be nessesary depends how much out we are talkin about

any questions please just ask

and best wishes:nuts:

j7

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IMO the 2 cheaper Linn t-tables although having certain qualities/attractions do not last as long as better more expensive LP12. There are IMO other modern new great budget t-tables which sound-last better than the old 2 cheaper Linn t-tables.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles