Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Like many who have been around for a few years I have a number of DVD’s collected starting from the 90’s onwards. I was quite an avid collector for three or four years until I jumped back into HiFi and video on demand became a thing. More recently I have been gifted blu-Ray discs at Christmas and Birthdays. A while back I put most of my older DVD’s into cases but even they use space. So I decided to archive my discs to storage and put everything into the loft. I did a search on AliExpress where I have an account and found something suitable, the Zidoo Z10 Pro. A UHD capable Android box with a 3.5 inch HDD caddy. I ordered it on the 7th from China, it arrived today. I could have had it a little sooner for £30 or so more purchased locally but I didn’t find that source until I had hit the buy button!

Unboxing was pleasant enough, it came double boxed and came with everything required to get up and running with a few notable exceptions. Batteries introduce complication to shipping so no AAA’s for the remote and no CR1220 for the Z10 Pro. Packaging was classy and there is a dual language (Chinese and English) manual to get things started. I am still waiting for the CR1220 and a 5TB 2.5 inch HDD. The 2.5-3.5 adaptor is here and I have already begun ripping a few DVD disks to see what format will best suit circumstances.

On power up there is a burst of fan noise but it soon subsides to an acceptable level. I updated it to the latest build and configured it as a Samba share to make it appear on my network. The aim will be to rip then drag and drop the resulting ISO. I paid for WinX DVD Platinum and hopefully that should get me through the bulk of my collection, after which I shall start to archive my Blu-Rays. The end result should be reclaimed space and much better accessibility to my old collection.

Historically I did do the older Android streaming boxes but never got on with them and was rarely happy with the results. As I have Netflix, NowTV, Prime and Disney+ subscriptions the urge to stream has gone. And this box isn’t recommended for that anyway, not because it can’t but because you have to do the donkey work with loading and configuring software. Why bother when you can buy a box ready to go for very little. No, the aim here is to have a simple plug and play way to access my old DVD’s and hopefully this will do the job. I’ll keep you all updated.

Reactions: Bazzer

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A small update on this. I’ve ripped a few DVD’s and put them on a portable drive for test purposes. The media player found 8 out of 10 automatically, providing wall art. I haven’t tried to manually update unidentified ISO’s yet. I have a good deal more ripped and ready to drop onto the 5TB HDD that arrived yesterday. I will get that formatted today (it needs to be done before it goes into the player) and do a trial run with significantly more rips, some of which are TV series. The RTC battery is fitted. I was able to get it done without breaking the seal on the base so no worries there. The difference? From off it boots up and updates from default to your local time in about a second. With the battery it remembers the settings at power off and updates times in about a second… I can’t see any other differences yet. Amazon are delivering a SATA to USB cable today to enable formatting and file transfer with my main storage drive. I’ll update again soon.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
90+ DVD’s, 700gb+ ripped so far. I’ve figured out how to correct DVD’s not properly tagged by Zidoo’s Home Theatre program. All are now correctly identified except one Indonesian language film called Killers. Every English and European language film with that word in the title comes up but not the Indonesian title. I might try a search using Indonesian rather than English at some point but it isn’t really a big deal. Four very recent DVD’s won’t rip due to copyright protection (or rather they do but take many hours as the ripping program tries to correct the issues). And some rips force subtitles which again I suspect is a copy protection thing. But we actually watched a lost gem called The Gift last night. One of those films with an ensemble who are all stars in their own right these days, a decent story arc with a nice twist at the end. So far, very happy with the results.

Reactions: TheFlash and Bazzer

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Indonesian film is identified! First twist was to find the Indonesian word for “Killers”. It threw up three titles none of which were correct. Then after some reading I discovered the film was actually an Indonesian/Japanese co-production made by the Mo Brothers. Search word “Kirazu”, (Killers in Japanese) and up pops the title. So 100% of ripped disks identified! My only issue now is I’ve found a couple of disks that rip but are scrambled on playback, and one which simply kicks you out of the Home Theatre app as soon as you try to play it. 

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is now progressing swimmingly! Having gotten the hang of getting more obscure DVD’s correctly recognised (the original Chinese film called Hitman is now called Contract Killer to avoid confusion with the game inspired films) I now have a 100% identified rate and two titles so far scrambled and unplayable. The other 222 ripped so far seem OK! I am on the last leg and envisage that my main titles will be fully ripped in a couple of days. I know I have a few TV box sets under the stairs (under ten years worth of detritus) but I can do those at my leisure. The main thing is we are now watching the films that interest us and, another surprising fact is that many are quite different to the TV edits we are used to. I will have used less than half the 5tb I have in the box so plenty of space to fill gaps in my collection. 

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This project is now complete. An entire DVD collection in a box 240x240x70mm and all the originals now in the loft. All titles identified, collections identified and grouped, differing resolutions (SD, HD and UHD) all identified after first play and file types indicated. In my case all ISO’s with two MKV files. I’ve even managed to impress my Wife! 😂

• Upvote
Reactions: TheFlash and tuga

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another update! As a Roon user I got a message from Roon that a couple of boxes had received Roon Ready accreditation. Amongst them was the Zidoo Z10 pro so I set about testing it. I got silence playing an MQA encoded track via HDMI but abandoned the process as it was rapidly approaching Emerdale time so I had to don my gimp mask and remain still and silent for the duration. 😂 This morning I made a few adjustments and got glorious sound out of my DAC connected via USB to the Z10 Pro. It also outputs optical and coaxial SPDiF so works exceptionally well as a bridge for Roon. It also displays on my TV via HDMI and has (limited) control through the remote. The silence on my earlier attempt was due to my TV only going up to 48k and I was sending it the first MQA unfold at 88k. So all fixable. SQ is pretty good too so even happier than I was before!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.