Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
20221023_102052.jpg 20221023_102106.jpg

Fabulous compact combo for audiophiles. These were Sharp's statement pieces, based more on what they could technically achieve than a return on sales. It showcases a unique take on digital to get closer to the music - 1 bit. The audio signal is sampled at 2,822.4 kHz - 64 times faster than the 44.1 kHz of CDs, and becomes a 1-bit digital representation. The original analog waveform is converted to the density of digital pulses, which are resistant to distortion and noise but behave much like analog signals.

They are rare units full stop, even rarer in this country, and still rarer still in proper 240v models. Hefty little blighters, built to a similar quality as an Audiosector Patek amp I had. Lots of thick aluminium sheets and copper.

Just had this on today with some Brazilian music and it sounded superb, even on my difficult to drive O'Heocha speakers. There's a review here, but frankly sticking this set up on the end of 1 Ohm electrostatics was a stupid idea. It breathes life into recordings, and frankly left my souped up Stello and Marantz CD combo languishing in the weeds this morning, hauling out details I hadn't even heard before. This is no bland digital amp! My friend says it sounds better than a Devialet to his mind.

These remain in wonderfully presented condition with the odd mark from handling over the years, I'll clean the fascias (been in storage for a year). The CD has had some work on the servo by the respected Mike Powell so it reads discs as it should. The other thing of note is that the CD display isn't as bright as the amps, which evidently also uses a larger system of LED's

If you want a compact (and heavy!) little system that's pure audiophile and from a design perspective quite striking, this is it. Only for sale as I need an ipad for work. Please appreciate this is 20 year old kit and rare so I offer no warranty, but be assured this is a reluctant sale as I love what these do. Getting one unit is rare, but getting both is nigh on unheard of. You'd have the amp on top of course this is just for the picture. Both units have beautiful spikes underneath that locate into the preceding chassis.

I have the box for the CD/SACD player. The amp alone in 120v from Japan costs about £1k used so I think my pricing is fair. Demo preferred (Bolton Lancs) or could meet up or half way if you live miles off. £1400 for the pair. (This was a $7,500 combo in 2002)

https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_1/sharp-1-bit-system-2-2002.html

Bear in mind these are 2002 prices below! and not even UK ones!

DX-SX1 Stereo SACD Player Specifications:

Digital Outputs: TOSLink Optical, Coaxial S/PDIF, Sharp 1-Bit Proprietary
Analog Outputs: 1 Set RCA Single Ended, Fixed Level, 1 Set RCA Variable Level, 1 0.25" Headphone Jack.

Frequency Response: 2 Hz - 20 kHz (Redbook CD), 2 Hz - 100 kHz (SACD)
THD: .0012% (at 1 kHz, SACD, Redbook CD Not Specified)
Dynamic Range: 105 dB (SACD, Redbook CD Not Specified)

Dimensions: 11.8" W x 15.1" D x 2.63" H

Weight: 12.8 Pounds

MSRP US$2999

SM-SX1 Stereo Integrated Amplifier Specifications:

Digital Inputs: 1 Coaxial S/PDIF, 2 TOSLink Optical, 1 Sharp 1-Bit Proprietary
Analog Inputs: 2x RCA Single Ended
Analog Outputs: 1x RCA Single-Ended Line Level

Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 20 kHz (+1, -1dB), 5 Hz - 100 kHz (+1, -3dB)
THD: .02% (at 1 kHz, 1 Watt Output)

Analog Preamp:
Sensitivity: 500mv rms/50 kOhm Impedance
Dynamic Range: 100 dB

Digital Section:
Sampling Frequency: 2.8224 mHz
Master Clock Frequency: 11.2896 mHz
PCM Input Frequencies: 32/44.1/48 kHz

Power Amplifier
Output: 50wpc / 8 or 4 Ohms, Selector to Choose 8 or 4 Ohm Speaker Impedance

Dimensions: 11.8" W x 15.1" D x 2.63" H

Weight: 15 Pounds

MSRP $4,499 USA

Last edited:

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I owned an SM SX1 amplifier about 15 years ago, and still retain a strong memory of vividly solid imaging. I'm not sure I've heard anything quite like it before or since.

A lovely pair of statement exotica.
Glws.

• Thanks
Reactions: SMEagol

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@bigrod
Come on Julian, this is surely one for your collection. The Chrome fronts would match nicely with the end caps on those Gales.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@bigrod
Come on Julian, this is surely one for your collection. The Chrome fronts would match nicely with the end caps on those Gales.
Absolutely they would John
But I can’t legitimately consider buying anything at the moment now Diane has a date for our wedding. I just wouldn’t get away with it ..
But then again !!!

• Haha
Reactions: Lurch

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Absolutely they would John
But I can’t legitimately consider buying anything at the moment now Diane has a date for our wedding. I just wouldn’t get away with it ..
But then again !!!
You can store them at mine till after the wedding I won't say a word top warming by me even if I say so myself ;D

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A one bit bump. Vastly superior to a two bit bump. Might consider a cartridge plus money my way...

Last edited:

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bump. Saw a toslink 'in' on the amp. Just popped my MacBook on top tonight with Spotify on - as the headphone socket on a Mac also doubles with a 3.5mm optical cable! - not everyone knows that. Sounding excellent. Things you don't hear on many recordings, it's a devil for the detail this thing. £1300.

Last edited:

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bump. Saw a toslink 'in' on the amp. Just popped my MacBook on top tonight with Spotify on - as the headphone socket on a Mac also doubles with a 3.5mm optical cable! - not everyone knows that. Sounding excellent. Things you don't hear on many recordings, it's a devil for the detail this thing. £1300.
Well... done the classic SMEagol thing. Had so much fun with this and it looks cool with my Eclipse speakers I've decided to keep this system, as it's small, sounds ace and fits under my coffee table. Running a full valve rig when electricity is so expensive just doesn't make sense at the moment. I'll mark it as SOLD later, but just a heads up for anyone that was watching the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles