Dynaudio Special 40 with Linn

Lunchbox171

Wammer
Dec 28, 2019
Hi there, 

Just thought I'd share my recent listening experience with a Linn Akurate dsm, akurate 2200 power amp and dynaudio special 40 loudspeakers, incase anyone is interested in this combo. 

I listened to the above this weekend at a local dealer, I had high hopes given the glowing reviews online of the Sp40's. Initially I was very impressed with the look (black vine looks sublime) and the soundstage and bass given their size, however as the session went on I felt less and less impressed as the combo didn't make me want to carry on listening. It sounded very clean and a little tyring. The dealer then swapped out the A2200 and in went my late vintage Klout.... This was very different, I felt the bass hit harder and it was overall a more enjoyable listen, slightly bigger soundstage smoother but not quite as detailed. Just my opinion, some may well prefer the newer A2200 presentation but others may like the warmer bigger sound of the klout. 

Anyway the dealer then replaced the Sp40's with some Neat ultimatium Xls standmounts..... Wow, these were amazing and I have to say sounded better with the A2200 than the Klout. 

The Sp40's are a impressive speaker but in my opinion needs very carefully system matching.... Just my thoughts. 

I went home and listened to the same tracks on my system, linn Majik dsm 1, akurate 4200 and upgraded linn keilidhs, I felt that whilst it was not quite as clean as either systems I had just listened to, it was a much bigger and more enjoyable listen... I know they are floor standers opposed to standmount so should sound bigger..... Also I was listening to Spotify premium at home rather than tidal at the dealer, plus the dealers Akurate dsm was probably in another league to my Majik dsm..... So not necessarily a fair comparison but though someone on the forum might be interested in the listening experiences.... 

Cheers, 

Ed

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi there, 

Just thought I'd share my recent listening experience with a Linn Akurate dsm, akurate 2200 power amp and dynaudio special 40 loudspeakers, incase anyone is interested in this combo. 

I listened to the above this weekend at a local dealer, I had high hopes given the glowing reviews online of the Sp40's. Initially I was very impressed with the look (black vine looks sublime) and the soundstage and bass given their size, however as the session went on I felt less and less impressed as the combo didn't make me want to carry on listening. It sounded very clean and a little tyring. The dealer then swapped out the A2200 and in went my late vintage Klout.... This was very different, I felt the bass hit harder and it was overall a more enjoyable listen, slightly bigger soundstage smoother but not quite as detailed. Just my opinion, some may well prefer the newer A2200 presentation but others may like the warmer bigger sound of the klout. 

Anyway the dealer then replaced the Sp40's with some Neat ultimatium Xls standmounts..... Wow, these were amazing and I have to say sounded better with the A2200 than the Klout. 

The Sp40's are a impressive speaker but in my opinion needs very carefully system matching.... Just my thoughts. 

I went home and listened to the same tracks on my system, linn Majik dsm 1, akurate 4200 and upgraded linn keilidhs, I felt that whilst it was not quite as clean as either systems I had just listened to, it was a much bigger and more enjoyable listen... I know they are floor standers opposed to standmount so should sound bigger..... Also I was listening to Spotify premium at home rather than tidal at the dealer, plus the dealers Akurate dsm was probably in another league to my Majik dsm..... So not necessarily a fair comparison but though someone on the forum might be interested in the listening experiences.... 

Cheers, 

Ed
Thanks for sharing that sir. I've always had a hankering to try a pair of Neat speakers at the end of a Naim system. Should sound stunning on fast paced electronica, rock and pop, that I mostly listen to :)

johns

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 29, 2016
Maidstone kent
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice review, I used to to have linn gear and loved it.

Hi there, 

Cheers, 

Ed

• Thanks
Reactions: Lunchbox171

Lunchbox171

Wammer
Dec 28, 2019
Thanks for sharing that sir. I've always had a hankering to try a pair of Neat speakers at the end of a Naim system. Should sound stunning on fast paced electronica, rock and pop, that I mostly listen to :)
My pleasure. You'll absolutely love them, basically a floorstanders in a standmount body, 2 super tweeters, 1 normal tweeter, 2 bass drivers, one of them being isobaric... Blummin lovely sounding speakers!! Rock on!! 

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice review, thanks. Just read a review from What Hifi on the neat XLS. I have always felt the higher end Neats offer something special and I will try and get to hear them at some stage, being a fan of quality stand mounts.

The fact they are small is attractive, although 37cm in depth with a rear facing port will require a home dem for me. Probably works well with the Isobarik loading system though.

I think your demo highlights the need for amp speaker/synergy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigwig07

Wammer
Wammer
May 28, 2016
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I too have been contemplating a pair of sh Dynaudio S40's this weekend, mainly on their reputation.

I remember hearing them a few years back and was quite impressed, but having reread reviews and hifi forum postings I feel they will probably be too 'hifi' for me - ie detailed and trebley with a tight pungent bass -ie technically excellent  but lacking in soul flow and warmth ? I'm sure others will disagree though

dave6v

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2013
Bristol
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for posting your thoughts @Lunchbox171

I had the S40s on demo a couple of years back. Like you, they impressed me on bass for their size, along with a toe tapping quality and smooth treble.

But I also found them a bit too explicit and forward in the highs / presence region. Plus bass boomed a bit unless well away from any walls. 

Really involving in a slightly forward, punchy, rhythmic sort of way. Great for rock, hip hop or EDM. But lacked a bit of naturalness and emotional engagement on slower, more intimate music. 

• Thanks
Reactions: hiesteem

Lunchbox171

Wammer
Dec 28, 2019
I too have been contemplating a pair of sh Dynaudio S40's this weekend, mainly on their reputation.

I remember hearing them a few years back and was quite impressed, but having reread reviews and hifi forum postings I feel they will probably be too 'hifi' for me - ie detailed and trebley with a tight pungent bass -ie technically excellent  but lacking in soul flow and warmth ? I'm sure others will disagree though
Absolutely agree with your post,  bang on in my opinion!

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

just in case , central audio have a brand new pair at 2195 and i am sure a deal is there as been there a while 

https://www.centralaudio.co.uk/index.php?page=products&id=9799

Paul Allen

New Wammer
Nov 9, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Lunchbox171

The Klout / Keilidh was always a great combo but like most Linn stuff plays best with other Linn. I used the 3x aktiv klouts into Keilidh for a while and then went straight from there to exakt which was ridiculously good! Both systems are tucked away in a heap somewhere as I use a much cheaper rig now.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is a symptomatic problem with hi-fi over the last decade or so. Pretty much every mag review, regardless of component generally reads:

For: High levels of detail

Or.

Against: Doesn't have the detail or clarity of the best.

Some of you will say "that's what the market demands". Do they? I don't want so much detail where it compromises the overall musicality.

Last edited by a moderator:

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for posting your thoughts @Lunchbox171

I had the S40s on demo a couple of years back. Like you, they impressed me on bass for their size, along with a toe tapping quality and smooth treble.

But I also found them a bit too explicit and forward in the highs / presence region. Plus bass boomed a bit unless well away from any walls. 

Really involving in a slightly forward, punchy, rhythmic sort of way. Great for rock, hip hop or EDM. But lacked a bit of naturalness and emotional engagement on slower, more intimate music. 
The problem is you can have a punchy & involving presentation without it being forward or unnatural. It is about being really pedantic to find the ideal synergy between the electronics and speakers.

I found that ideal compromise. But it can take time, especially when you have a mix 'n' match set-up.

Reactions: newlash09

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I feel the modern Dynaudios have taken on a different presentation in their sound to their older ranges.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I feel the modern Dynaudios have taken on a different presentation in their sound to their older ranges.
Seems that way. One of my fav standmounts from yesteryear was the Dynaudio Audience 52. The only real issue is those 52s needed a fair bit of breathing space from the back wall.

That said, perhaps (I'm guessing as I've not heard Linn before) that Dyns and the OPs set-up is just a poor match.

Lunchbox171

Wammer
Dec 28, 2019
Seems that way. One of my fav standmounts from yesteryear was the Dynaudio Audience 52. The only real issue is those 52s needed a fair bit of breathing space from the back wall.

That said, perhaps (I'm guessing as I've not heard Linn before) that Dyns and the OPs set-up is just a poor match.
I certainly wouldn't say a poor match, just not to my taste. It was very clean and accurate and had plenty of ooomph, but just didn't do it for me, many would love it I suspect....!???? Perhaps electronics with a little more coloration would sound very good in my humble opinion (naim? etc) .... 

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I think the latest Dynaudios probably benefit from careful matching. 

I always give the new confidence series a listen at the Bristol show.

Whilst they sound impressive I always feel they might be too much over a longer listening session. Could be they  would  benefit from top quality amplifiers to release their potential. 

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I certainly wouldn't say a poor match, just not to my taste. It was very clean and accurate and had plenty of ooomph, but just didn't do it for me, many would love it I suspect....!???? Perhaps electronics with a little more coloration would sound very good in my humble opinion (naim? etc) .... 
Maybe. As I mentioned earlier I'm not familiar with Linn amplification.

Having heard Naim amps many times, the presentation isn't coloured - probably one of the liveliest (brightest) amps I've come across, certainly with entry-level.

One very good combo I did hear was a Naim XS powering Dynaudio Contour s1.4. 

I've always associated coloured sound with smooth or warm amps, akin to older Arcams, NADs and such like.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I think the latest Dynaudios probably benefit from careful matching. 

I always give the new confidence series a listen at the Bristol show.

Whilst they sound impressive I always feel they might be too much over a longer listening session. Could be they  would  benefit from top quality amplifiers to release their potential. 
IMHO all Dyns generally need a amp that's ballsy, as most are either 4 or 6 ohms. Again, this is where my knowledge of Linn stuff falls flat. Power is one thing but control can be something different.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IMHO all Dyns generally need a amp that's ballsy, as most are either 4 or 6 ohms. Again, this is where my knowledge of Linn stuff falls flat. Power is one thing but control can be something different.
Yes I would say so. Top quality amps for the Confidence series as well. I don't think they are forgiving as they used to be and would be looking at Audionet or Restek mono's  for the open window that the Confidence are capable of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles