Ethernet Cable Shoot Out – Shunyata, AudioQuest, Supra, Viablue, Ugreen

T

The Chronicals

Thanks for the info @The Chronicals. I really like the RME DAC, so will be just streamers for now. Looking to spend around 2.5k max. I mainly use coax output but this will depend on what streamer I go for. Some only provide the option of USB output into DAC of choice. Ifi products look very promising and shall look into them if and when needed.
Ah that . mighty find budget for just a transport! Lumin should definitely be on your list to trial. It has a BNC Coaxial digital out.

Trial the IFI's definitely, you may be surprised at what was 'there' that you didn't know about. I needed to get rid of a digital harshness and no matter what component I tried it was still there, all it took was the Isilencer and Ipurifier.

Look forward to hearing your streamer shootout :)

Reactions: Nativebon

BakerE

New Wammer
Dec 9, 2019
Very interesting findings. I’ve played about with a handful of Ethernet cables: Melco, AudioQuest Vodka, Supra CAT8 and Chord Shawline. Of all of them I was most pleased with the Supra CAT8: very musical, slightly warm sounding, organic and by far the best value for money. That is until I tried a LinkUp certified CAT8 Ethernet cable....

I’d read on another forum that certified CAT8 cables are the real deal. I purchased the following LinkUp cable from Amazon and it’s outstanding for the money. Compared to the Supra CAT8 it has a much fuller, more balanced sound, very organic, musical and the soundstage is much deeper and all encompassing. The Supra is quite flat in comparison. The LinkUp also has better dynamics, very good bass and more “slam”. Don’t get me wrong, the Supra CAT8 is very good. The Linkup (which is even cheaper) is in another league...

[LINKUP] Cat8 Ethernet Patch Cable S/FTP 22AWG Screened Solid Cable | 2000Mhz (2Ghz) up to 40Gbps | Future 5th-Gen Ethernet LAN Network 40G Structure Wires - 1M https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VVFB8VX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_peglEbMVTCV67 

G

Gaz38

I openly admit  to being a total IT thicky so I apologise if my thinking is way off base but these Ethernet cable don't make much sense to me

The way I see it the music you listen to at home starts its journey on a server many many miles away from your audio system, this means the signal is travelling a great distance through various cables of varying quality before arriving at your home hub, it then travels a metre through your fancy Ethernet cable which somehow improves the sound quality before it arrives at your streamer. Or have I got that wrong somewhere?

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I openly admit  to being a total IT thicky so I apologise if my thinking is way off base but these Ethernet cable don't make much sense to me

The way I see it the music you listen to at home starts its journey on a server many many miles away from your audio system, this means the signal is travelling a great distance through various cables of varying quality before arriving at your home hub, it then travels a metre through your fancy Ethernet cable which somehow improves the sound quality before it arrives at your streamer. Or have I got that wrong somewhere?
I use the same logic to save myself a fortune on mains cables too  :D

Reactions: Strider

beermaniac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 21, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
I only go by what my ears tell me and they sound different.

I use a 3m Supra cable as it sounded the best from several i tried - however like all things diminishing returns sets in pretty soon and i personally wouldn’t pay more than £50 for an ethernet cable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just put i Cat6 cable in my house, should I now rip it all out and replace with Cat 8?  :doh:

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In all seriousness, I discussed the type of network cable to install with my aerial guy, he said Cat6a was too stiff and not enough performance benefit to warrant the ball ache when installing - Cat6 is way fast enough for domestic use and can be bent with a decent radius.

Cat7 or above would be nigh on impossible to install in a house.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In all seriousness, I discussed the type of network cable to install with my aerial guy, he said Cat6a was too stiff and not enough performance benefit to warrant the ball ache when installing - Cat6 is way fast enough for domestic use and can be bent with a decent radius.

It's a fair point. For the kind of cable lengths that you are likely to need in a domestic install, you will be good for Gigabit over Cat6 so no real advantage in going for higher spec. Only really worth doing Cat6a if you want >55 metres or to run a 10Gigs network.

• Upvote
Reactions: Bodgit

wHIZZY

Measured Subjectivist
Wammer
Apr 12, 2016
Sunny Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I've just put i Cat6 cable in my house, should I now rip it all out and replace with Cat 8?  :doh:
Yes, without delay, you don't want to listen to those arial guys, what do they know about high quality sound they only care about picture quality. 🙂

• Haha
Reactions: Strider

lindsayt

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 19, 2009
Huddersfield, , Unit

Fibre cabling would be the way to go to really bling out your home network infrastructure.

It would future proof it nicely too.

Having devices that could take SFP or SFP+ or QSFP NIC's would be nice too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online