Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
šŸ˜‚Ā this site is bordering unusable atm!Ā 

My prediction is 2:1 to England. I think it will be very tight though.

I don't think it will go to extra time or penalties. Well I hope not anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah screw it, I'm ready to (metaphorically) get my beer belly out, pour beer over my head and sing Fat Les Vindaloo at the top of my lungs šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Dare to dream. Come on boys.
Well holy moly! Fat Les is required - time for beers on the head and crazy wild singing!!

I'm slightly hoarse sounding atm.... Bit to much screaming at the telly... I am supposed to be presenting a webinar early tomorrow am. Not much voice going on at the minute! Lol! I might need to reschedule.

Bazzer

šŸŗ
Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
West Cheshire
AKA
Barry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Over the line and into the final , wasn't happy with that tactical change I'm sure we would have scored a couple more if we had been on the offensive with Grealish still on , plus the Danes only had ten men .

Reactions: garn63

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sterling wasnt touched - no penalty.

Once again he cheats his way to victory and brings the game of football into disrepute, but this time in a crucial International. Talking of 'international', the video footage from all angles, will be circulating globally and shaming himself, his team and his manager.

I take no pride in calling this in an earlier post.

Secondly, the ITV commentary team were far too patriotic to the detriment of their profession.

A sad night for football.

Jack

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Once again he cheats his way to victory and brings the game of football into disrepute, but this time in a crucial International. Talking of 'international', the video footage from all angles, will be circulating globally and shaming himself, his team and his manager.

Secondly, the ITV commentary team were far too patriotic to the detriment of their profession.

Jack
Go crawl back under your rock you negative so and so. For God sake.

• Upvote
Reactions: myles

myles

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Go crawl back under your rock you negative so and so. For God sake.
I wouldn't bother; the majority of Man U 'followers' don't want anything to do with England. Neville intimated it tonight. Jack hadn't got a clue.

garn63

ā™¤
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
N. Wales.
AKA
Mark.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Over the line and into the final , wasn't happy with that tactical change I'm sure we would have scored a couple more if we had been on the offensive with Grealish still on , plus the Danes only had ten men .
Am inclined to agree. We dominated for half an hour before extra time. The Danes were getting tired. It worries me that Southgate opted for the safety first method. I am of the belief we could have been comfortable winners. Football by it's very nature though divides opinion & Manager & players have to be praised for turning a very nervous national team into one that gives the supporters hope of success. Think we have the best squad available for more than 50 yrs ?

I do worry about us taking aĀ pragmatic approach against Italy as they have more nous & super game management. It's a final though & anything can happen. Grealish to score the winner in the final.Ā  :)

Reactions: greybeard

garn63

ā™¤
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
N. Wales.
AKA
Mark.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Jack
Fernandes ?Ā  Ā Won 2 pens against the Villa this season & they swung the game Utd's way ? 6 points Jack... & neither were as big a shout as SterlingsĀ Ā  xD Ā  Ā  Ā Cmon you have to smile.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The better team won. It didn't look a penalty to me but the tribalism of football is such that many fans cannot recognise the individuals in their own team that consistently and repeatedly cheat, while venomously commenting on those in another team that they consider have; I would be surprised if Raheem wasn't considered by most as England's player of the tournament, so far.

The final will be tough but we have a chance - it starts 0-0.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Note to Amormusic, garn63, Oldius and Myles - thankyou for your intelligent, well-argued and thoughtful comments.

You are welcome to the ship of football and all who sail in her. The game died a moral death last night in my eyes and I am renouncing my interest in the national team, the Premiership and support for my own club, Manchester United.

There were Manchester United players in the England team and they were tainted by Sterling's blatant simulation, as was the manager (by definition, as he takes responsibility for his players' actions).

Its correct to point out that some Man U players adopt similar tactics in club games and I dont condone that, though it has to be said that neither of them were guilty on the night in question, nor in the tournament as a whole that I can recall.

This was the last straw as some of you who take the trouble to read my posts and take note of them will know that I have been a critic of the way the English game is going and its inferiority to its American counterpart, especially in the policing of the game.

This is my last contribution to your football threads.

When I was a lad, having finished my homework, I would gleefully cycle down to the King George V playing fields in Farnborough, Hants, with my orange Frido in a bag on the handlebars and meet up with John Lifford, a schoolmate. We used to take it in turns to be the shooter and the goalkeeper. I played right wing for Pathfinders, Farnborough Grammar, and the Coach & Horses in Castle Street Farnham. I have supported Manchester United since Munich and chose a college in Manchester to study Law at 19 so I could watch my team at Old Trafford.

That'sthe history, and history it is.

Jack NSM

Reactions: MVJ

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Well what a nerve racking game that was, but they found a way to get pastĀ their jinxed history at this stage, and we are now in a final of a major competition for the first time in 55 years. Yes it was a soft penalty decision, although credit to Sterling for being positive and driving to the bye line and making the defenders have to make a tackle. You do not have to be scythed down, for it to be a foul. But if it had been against us I would have been angry. The penalty was also poor, but thye keeper made a hash of tryingĀ to actually catch it, and in failing to do so pushed it back into Harrys path, so the footballing Gods were smiling on us last night, but overall I thought we were just about the better team, and deserved the victory. But lets be honest, most England supportersĀ would have taken an undeserved victory, just to see England in a major final, after 55 years. Now lets go on and win it!

Phil Bishop

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 19, 2015
A deserved win I thought although it's a shame the England goals were scrappy unlike the superb Danish strike.

I'm not a great football fan but it seems to me England are riding a wave of ability, attitude, belief and, critically, luck.

I don't see why they should not go on to win it now.

Did anyone hear one of the pundits say something along the linesĀ Gareth Southgate is someone we can all respect and believe in because he tells the truth and shows proper leadership unlike that shown in the country over the last couple of years? Give that man a medal for speaking out!

Reactions: greybeard and MVJ

MVJ

A fully paid up Wammer šŸ˜Ž
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
Guiseley, Leeds,
AKA
Steve,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did'nt watch the game as I'm not a fan really I watched Stockport County till I hit my teens then discoveredĀ music/bands/girls and went off in another direction. I don't follow any football mainly due to play acting cheating and blatant unsportsman like behavior not least the aggressive harassmentĀ of officials by players.
Ā 
Ā It'sĀ tiresome inĀ the extremeĀ inc the fervent denial of these things by fans and the who cares attitude of don't care howĀ you win just do it.

I will add England have been denied wins in the past with some shocking decisions in the past so good luck to them in theĀ Final I hope they winšŸ‘šŸ¤žšŸ»

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to spend a part of my youth down the North Bank, but like quite a few others, my interest dwindled when players started to be paid sums of money that are nothing other than obscene. That was bad enough, but they not only began to believe they were somehow 'worth' that much, but also to act as though vast income somehow makes a person inherently better than others.

I watched last night, because it was an important match. As many others have pointed out, we were lucky as well as reasonably competent, but luck is part of any sport.

As for the comment "I don't see why they should not go on to win it now", I'm afraid I do. And the reason is Italy.

Reactions: garn63 and MVJ

garn63

ā™¤
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
N. Wales.
AKA
Mark.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did'nt watch the game as I'm not a fan really I watched Stockport County till I hit my teens then discoveredĀ music/bands/girls and went in another direction. I don't follow any football mainly due to play acting cheating and blatant unsportsman like behavior not least the aggressive harassmentĀ of officials by players.
Ā 
Ā It'sĀ tiresome inĀ the extremeĀ inc the fervent denial of these things by fans and the who cares attitude of don't care howĀ you win just do it.

I will add England have been denied wins in the past with some shocking decisions in the past so good luck to them in theĀ Final I hope they winšŸ‘šŸ¤žšŸ»
You've got a point but dont you think that the "win at all costs" is indicative of the way the whole of society is at the moment ? Imo wherever people are doing anything at all you will have those with a conscience & those with a Poker mentality ?Ā  A fine example of this is the banker failing & yet operating in exactly the same manner whether he fails/succeeds & everyone in the N.H.S. being under paid & over worked. This is the norm in our society & not exclusive to football ? There are simply more people "playing the game" than addressing a sense of fair play. The tide swings though & I guess it's just the wayĀ for now.Ā 

Jack am sad the footy has worn you out. It just "is" & out of all our hands.

• Upvote
Reactions: bencat and MVJ

Phil Bishop

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 19, 2015
As for the comment "I don't see why they should not go on to win it now", I'm afraid I do. And the reason is Italy.
Italy came very close to be knocked out by Spain in the semi-final. They basically played for penalties in extra time. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, it'sĀ that oft quoted phrase "game management". But ItalyĀ are beatable and at Wembley in front of a fervent home crowd it's going to be pretty equally poised I reckon.

I was not actually that bothered about the outcome of the England-Denmark match. I generally loathe football culture and the big business nature of the game. I don't like a lot about British culture and from what I have seen of Danish culture and socio-economics I prefer it.

I also fear that England winning the tournament might encourage even more mad nationalism of the kind we saw with Brexit - a misplaced sense of superiority.

All that said, I hope England win it and I think they have every chance. My daughter is based in Pisa - it's going to be a tricky one for herĀ  :)

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Iā€™m not a footie fan or follower aside from the big tournaments, but I enjoyed the playing on show last night; less so the diving etc.Ā 
I agree with Bazzer that the second 15 minutes of extra time England could surely have clinched a thirdĀ goal and made the dubious penalty less of an embarrassment. Ā But Iā€™m not second guessing GS!

The brief laser pen footage shown on telly was appalling, though it didnā€™t appear to affect the excellent Danish keeper. Ā 
England might well benefit from the home advantage against Italy, and the excellent management and overall attitude which seems light years better than the bad old days. Ā Anythingā€™s possible now, as Iā€™m sure the psychology will be as important as technique. Ā 

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
C'mon England!

Really enjoyed the game once I crawled from the back of the sofa. England were the better team. People on here can say that Southgate was negative. If Germany had subbed a sub to see a game out to reach a major final, everyone would say "mmm... clever tactics by Low". Southgate does it and it's negative. Think what Southgate has done is taken us from all-so-rans, team of mispasses, not cohesive blah blah to a team that can now play tournament football.

Was it a penalty? Of course not. But don't want any negative comments regarding Sterling possibly diving. Hold on? hasn'tĀ Italy, Spain, Argentina and Brazil done this sort of thing for decades? Blow on them and they roll over like they've been shot. And Maradona's Hand Of God was legit? England have been on the end of some poor officiating. Perhaps EnglandĀ have finally wised up to it. You fight fire with fire.Ā Ā Ā