EVENT OPAL

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently bought a pair of the Event Opal Active studio monitors which is my first foray into top notch Actives having having had some I think were ESi active speakers (German I think) which impressed me for their size.

I remember reading lots of glowing reviews from both the pro guys & some wammers too over the last few years & thinking I'd like to hear or even try some one day. Well here I am two weeks into my ownership and I still can't get my jaw off the floor and just stunned by their performance.

I thought I'd put this in the owners forum & hope there are other owners out there to share experiences with and maybe get some tips too. These speakers have lots of built in adjustment most of which makes my brain hurt (see picture) that I could do with a simple guide too from owners or ex owners to maybe get the very best out of them in the future.

Having said that Seano who sold them gave me some basic set up positions and a few tips as did greengoblin Thanks guys👍 Any way they sound amazing for the size & fill my modest music room with great stereophonic sound and superb bass.

Right I'll leave it there and do a full review soon.

Steve.

Last edited:

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Where did you hear them Colin?

I believe they made an appearance at Scalford years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Tony I can vouch for them sounding excellent 👍

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes it was at Scalford.
Can you remember what stood out about them Colin?
I'm finding the left/right & front to back imaging quite astonishing.

Last edited:

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The way they filled the large  room they were in to start with, but then the drive and control over the bass, along with a wonderful clarity. To be honest, it was a few years ago, and I have no recollection of their soundstaging abilities.

Reactions: Tony_J and MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm finding once I start listening it goes on and on time just flies by. I can't think of anything that is'nt sounding right but poor recordings are not great the Opals seem to pick them apart & lay the faults out in front of you if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: lowendall

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm finding once I start listening it goes on and on & time just flies by. I can't think of anything that is'nt sounding right but poor recordings are not great the Opals seem to pick them apart & lay the faults out in front of you if that makes sense.
Well that is what they are designed for, studio monitoring.

It was hearing these speakers that started me down the road to the active speakers I have built, and use now. I remember the first time I played mine, I was amazed at the speed, control and tight tuneful bass. Mine also give an expansive soundstage.

I do not think I will ever go back to passive speakers.

• Upvote
Reactions: newlash09 and MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well that is what they are designed for, studio monitoring.

It was hearing these speakers that started me down the road to the active speakers I have built, and use now. I remember the first time I played mine, I was amazed at the speed, control and tight tuneful bass. Mine also give an expansive soundstage.

I do not think I will ever go back to passive speakers.
Me neither 👍 So you built your own actives wow! Thats cool.

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well they are active but the crossover and amplification is not in the cabinets. I have a Behringer DCX 2496 for crossover and DSP duties and a KJF audio 6 channel Hypex nCore modular amp for the power duties.

Reactions: MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Must sort out a review on these I've been distracted by some new to me Ear Speakers.  I'll do it tomorrow👍

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had my Opals for a few weeks now but been a bit distracted😎

Anyway here is my review of the Opals in my system/room for what it's worth, First how they are set up in my music room I'm lucky in that they are set up 2.7m apart and the same to my listening position so the perfect triangle suggested by other previous owners and firing just over each shoulder the imaging is spot on. I placed the stands on a granite base with isolating feet underneath to bring them up to perfect ear level, I also fitted sticky felt furniture pads under the stands to enable me to adjust them in & out without lifting them as they slide easily on the granite so I now have them located pretty much bang on.

At this point I should have connected the mic and the little magic box of tricks and wires to my laptop to set them up. But! due to me not having a clue about stuff like this and no explanation to help me (I assume they think as they are pro kit you will know) These are the controls on the speakers (see picture) I proceeded to use my ears to tune them to my room with the space knob at 1/2.

The most obvious thing is the bass which really gets your attention with it's depth speed and tightness I just was'nt expecting it from such small speakers. Strange they are the smallest speakers I have ever had in my room but the best bass I've heard revealing some bass notes I thought were just to one note but actually have two or three in particular bass guitar or double bass. One of my favourite things in my music that I must have is good imaging and the Opals deliver this to perfection put on a good recording with great imaging and they deliver it with ease not in your face just laid out in front of you to enjoy and melt into just brilliant.

The top end has been a bit more challenging & needed to be reduced one step on the HF knob but once done the whole of the music from top to bottom is integrated and such a pleasure to listen too overall I have to say that my music has never sounded so good and yet sometimes so bad. Anything you play thats not well recorded is exposed (mostly cds) I think the combination of my Esoteric CD player with my Esoteric Pre amp playing thru the Opals is showing the limitations of the silver disc if it's not recorded well. Vinyl on the other hand with a few exceptions is much better with the combo of Benz Wood cart & Minimax Phono producing exactly the right notes.

So to conclude I think the Opals will be around for a long time as they just seem to fit the room to perfection and deliver everything I want from my music.I find myself looking for stuff thats not been played for while and get suprised by how good it is (not always though) I'm very happy with my change and it is for the better I have no doubts at all.

ps,

The poor Tannoy Cheviots are now in the back bedroom under sheets so at least I can't see them sulking at me now👍

Last edited:

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am getting addicted to my system at the moment it's like hearing all my music for the first time again😍 Just loving what the Opals are doing...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles