Linn Owners

External preamp with Klimax DSM

lldd

New Wammer
Jun 5, 2022
Seattle, WA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does anyone have experience using an external preamp with a Klimax DSM? Was the overall experience an improvement or did it take away from the sound of the DSM?

Last edited:

dol

Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Should be the same as Preamp with KDS, many people feels it improved the sound, esp on lower volume levels. However, I have ran my KDSM, KDSM/2 and now running KDSM/3O without preamp and enjoy it.

quinn_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2022
San Francisco
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Should be the same as Preamp with KDS, many people feels it improved the sound, esp on lower volume levels. However, I have ran my KDSM, KDSM/2 and now running KDSM/3O without preamp and enjoy it.
I am using the NG Organik DSM/3 w/o any pre-amp, works and sounds great (to me). Before that I used the Naim NAC 552+NAP 500 with the Klimax DSM/2, can't compare them side by side now, but I gain a fewer box count.

Last edited:

wildwildWes

SciLinntologist
Wammer
Jul 24, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@rjinaz86323 would you post a full review of the MDSM4 and give your sound quality perceptions against your previous system? I can't be the only one who would want to read it...

rjinaz86323

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2021
Chino Valley, AZ
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok here goes. Not sure if it is relevant for most here as previous system was not Linn. What I replaced was a McIntosh Mx130 pre, McIntosh MC7150 amp, Parasound XRM phono amp, and a Bluesound NODE N130. I have a newly built LP12, Cirkus, Trampolin, Akito, Adikt. When I had Steve Carroll of LMC (Scottsdale) set it up, he demoed it to me using a Linn DSM ( I believe a Selekt). I was blown away with the sound. It got me thinking (dangerous & expensive, I know). The McIntosh is a very warm smooth sound, while the Linn seems much cleaner and a little more detailed. I have a lower-end set of SF Chameleon Towers for speakers in a small but very lively room. Steve is coming up this week to tweak it all, and I am sure will make it even better. I find the sound to be just as satisfying on my speakers, in my room, as I did in their demo room in Scottsdale. I do not regret my decision in the least. I went from 150 watts to 100 watts class D, which is still more than enough for my speakers (efficiency 90 db). The Majik DSM/4 streamer is a joy to use (bought a new iPad to control it). I downloaded both Linn Kazoo and the Linn App to try. While I am still learning my way around Qobuz and Tidal, I am favoring the older Kazoo software. This morning I was streaming (qobuz) some Clapton & BB King, 'Riding with the King'. There sound stage was fantastic, I think possibly owing to the fact that some of the architecture from Katalyst made it's way into the Majik. I also listened to some vinyl (Nora Jones), and again the clarity and soundstage was outstanding. I am not sure if this has to be due to the fact that again Linn used some of the design of the Urika II in the Majik or if I am just now getting comfortable with the LP12. At any rate I am over the moon with my upgrade. I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles