Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lovely.Enjoy them. Very easy to live with & make for an enjoyable listen. They will improve over time. 👍
I was wondering about this, we'll see. Very frustrating, I have a very bad knee at the moment and need a painkiller be assisted rest. I have Chardonnay in for this evening's listen !

Reactions: DUVET and deggie

garn63

Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
N. Wales.
AKA
Mark.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was wondering about this, we'll see. Very frustrating, I have a very bad knee at the moment and need a painkiller be assisted rest. I have Chardonnay in for this evening's listen !
Used to own a pair Ian. I liked them but do chop & change my little spkrs with the house standard ones. It's all about enjoyment. Keep a signal running through them & they will sound nice in 3 weeks :)...and loosen over time. Infinite baffle tend to take a good while to sound their best don't they ? When you are back to your dancing self they will be part of the furniture. Have fun !

• Thanks
Reactions: Ian

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
they look great ian,.....i know how the harbies sound , not really listened to the falcons , so nice to know how they match up...........leave them in stealth mode..............😀 .

• Upvote

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
they look great ian,.....i know how the harbies sound , not really listened to the falcons , so nice to know how they match up...........leave them in stealth mode..............😀 .
I'll be fortunate enough to keep both if I sell the Leak 20 or TL12+ pair, which is a plan over time. I'm on my own next week and can leave them on all day.

Reactions: deggie

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From the off, these are, unsurprisingly, stunning speakers. Jerry at Falcon advises the midrange and bass will improve over time, I'm struggling to see how it can but I believe him of course.

They are broadly similar the the Harbeth P3ESR but that Falcon 'there-ness' and presence is a certainly noticeable.

After having been fortunate enough to indulge in this hobby for so many years, I find there's nothing more fascinating than these shoebox sized heritage speakers.

The main impression I'm left with is if you're in the market for a pair something from this gene pool, these are without doubt the cheapest whilst being sonically equal all the way. There's no compromise in sound here.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The assembly looks a much simpler process than I imagined. For a £300 saving it’s a no brainier. 
Nice job though, look forward to hearing your thoughts on how they sound. Is much running in recommended?

• Upvote

Bigwig07

Wammer
Wammer
May 28, 2016
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From the off, these are, unsurprisingly, stunning speakers. Jerry at Falcon advises the midrange and bass will improve over time, I'm struggling to see how it can but I believe him of course.

They are broadly similar the the Harbeth P3ESR but that Falcon 'there-ness' and presence is a certainly noticeable.

After having been fortunate enough to indulge in this hobby for so many years, I find there's nothing more fascinating than these shoebox sized heritage speakers.

The main impression I'm left with is if you're in the market for a pair something from this gene pool, these are without doubt the cheapest whilst being sonically equal all the way. There's no compromise in sound here.
Did you use the Gold badge crossover ?

• Upvote

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The assembly looks a much simpler process than I imagined. For a £300 saving it’s a no brainier. 
Nice job though, look forward to hearing your thoughts on how they sound. Is much running in recommended?
It really is a simple process and the instructions are very clear. I think assembling them yourself helps with appreciating the quality of it all. Enjoyable too.

Jerry reckons running improves things, so yes.

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Interesting ian ,..considering how spendy the harbies are these days, ....no doubt you could live with a pair .....😀

• Upvote

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting ian ,..considering how spendy the harbies are these days, ....no doubt you could live with a pair .....😀
I've been playing at which I would keep, and yes, could easily live with these. If I sell the harbs I'll do it in summer when they've had to go up again 😅.

Reactions: DomT and deggie

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I speak as I find and if I happen to help a bespoke heritage UK small business, then good 🙂.

And no, I asked for a cheeky 10 percent off when buying and he responded with a sorry but it's all going up soon ! 

Ill ask for a retrospective discount 🤣.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With my OCD this would drive me nuts - the dome connection wires should be horizontal lol   View attachment 108915
Oh, yes, that photo was taken before I realised the operator assembly error ! Corrected shortly afterwards (the wires wouldn't reach the crossover).

You spotted my only mistake, was this revenge for me saying you should be thrown off the wam for not having listened to Quad gear. Curses !!!

😉

Edit - Sorry, this wasn't you good self, it was plastic penguin. I'm getting user names and avatars mixed up !

• Upvote
Reactions: uzzy

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
An inspiration to speaker builders on the WAM! Well done!

I'm trying to psych myself up for a build. The one that looks good to me is this one:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SEAS-CURV.htm

Speaker builders have shown a lot of interest in the new SEAS Curv mid-woofers with "woven, self-reinforced polypropylene material with excellent internal damping" for the cones. Plus a very nice tweeter. 

Reactions: Nopiano and Ian

Bigwig07

Wammer
Wammer
May 28, 2016
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The design seems to have less (no?) sound deadening materials compared with the Ls3/5a.I see in the review from the Ear that the Q7 has a brighter less forgiving sound too.

Still very interesting speakers though. 

Have you given up on the Stirlings ?

• Upvote

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
An inspiration to speaker builders on the WAM! Well done!

I'm trying to psych myself up for a build. The one that looks good to me is this one:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SEAS-CURV.htm

Speaker builders have shown a lot of interest in the new SEAS Curv mid-woofers with "woven, self-reinforced polypropylene material with excellent internal damping" for the cones. Plus a very nice tweeter. 
These look really interesting. I've only had a quick look on my phone but they seem to be proper 'DIY' as opposed to self assembly, the latter not involving any woodwork or soldering skills. Hence I was able to easily complete the task !