Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The design seems to have less (no?) sound deadening materials compared with the Ls3/5a.I see in the review from the Ear that the Q7 has a brighter less forgiving sound too.

Still very interesting speakers though. 

Have you given up on the Stirlings ?
I have it mind to dig out some poor recordings later today to test how forgiving they are.

Yes, given up on the Stirlings. They were included in the overall LS3/5a-ish plan as the V2 cost less than all the others and hence the used price might have been do-able.

Knowing the sound of the Falcons also helped the decision.

Must get the badges on today and evaluate any sonic improvement 😉

Reactions: Bigwig07 and DomT

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Walnut finish looks great, do keep us posted on how they sound after 'run in.'🤓
Will do, I'll be popping the Quad 303 in next week (currently Croft 7). If ever two hi Fi components were secretly shagging each other, it's this pair 😉

• Haha
Reactions: DomT

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You spotted my only mistake, was this revenge for me saying you should be thrown off the wam for not having listened to Quad gear. Curses !!!
Not guilty - I have a 405 in the garage (used for foldback in the band I played in) and tried it in the hifi (hence why it was relegated to band duty).  Got my brother to get a 33 303 for his first upgrade from a Leak Stereo 30.

Used to sell the stuff and have probably heard more Quad products than many .. good value for money back in the day if well matched to speakers etc.

So asking me to be kicked out for not having listened to Quad was false evidence you naughty boy (I just hope they don't kick you out for perjury) 🤣

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not guilty - I have a 405 in the garage (used for foldback in the band I played in) and tried it in the hifi (hence why it was relegated to band duty).  Got my brother to get a 33 303 for his first upgrade from a Leak Stereo 30.

Used to sell the stuff and have probably heard more Quad products than many .. good value for money back in the day if well matched to speakers etc.

So asking me to be kicked out for not having listened to Quad was false evidence you naughty boy (I just hope they don't kick you out for perjury) 🤣
Ha, yes, my sincere apologies. I mentioned above, it was plastic penguin, I was getting penguin names and avatars mixed up ! 

Forgive me brother !

As for plastic penguin though...........😮

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I see in the review from the Ear that the Q7 has a brighter less forgiving sound too.
I read that too, and I think words on the internet and in reviews (though that Ear on was favourible but balanced) can play on the mind. They do mine. They're a little less forgiving than the harbs to my mind, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: DomT

Bigwig07

Wammer
Wammer
May 28, 2016
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I read that too, and I think words on the internet and in reviews (though that Ear on was favourible but balanced) can play on the mind. They do mine. They're a little less forgiving than the harbs to my mind, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
Your ears are the most important. Glad you are enjoying it.

Reactions: Ian

F8ygP8

New Wammer
Jan 17, 2022

Q7 owner here, I originally had the base model and later upgraded to the gold badge.

One of the reasons was to make them a bit more smooth 'on top'.

The new cross-over helped with the brightness, but it also made the bass and midrange sound even better, tighter, more defined.

A few extra points, fitting the gold badge cross-over requires soldering. Also, in true DIY fashion Jerry@falcon offers different resistors to the base cross-over in order to roll off the treble a bit more aggressively, again soldering required.

PDXSNAP

New Wammer
Mar 3, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any idea if the cabinets can be bought as a kit (without drivers and crossover) to allow a Falcon LS35a owner to convert to Q7’s?

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Q7 owner here, I originally had the base model and later upgraded to the gold badge.

One of the reasons was to make them a bit more smooth 'on top'.

The new cross-over helped with the brightness, but it also made the bass and midrange sound even better, tighter, more defined.

A few extra points, fitting the gold badge cross-over requires soldering. Also, in true DIY fashion Jerry@falcon offers different resistors to the base cross-over in order to roll off the treble a bit more aggressively, again soldering required.
Hi, I think we corresponded re: a potential trade 😉. I decided to go for the regular mostly on cost but also I've never soldered !

PDXSNAP

New Wammer
Mar 3, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Give Jerry at Falcon a call. He might think it heresy however ☺️
I would but being in USA just makes it a little tougher to negotiate (time difference and all). I will try contact page on site.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well these have been in the system a week now and I thought I'd post some final thoughts.

With the Croft 25R pre I've had them with the 7, a Quad 303 and a Leak 20.

In terms of my frame of reference, they have that beautiful there-ness that I think I've mentioned before. Sometimes they seem so close to the Harbeths (P3ESR) that there's so little in it, but sometimes that LS3/5a character shines out.

They come into their own with the Leak. I put this in yesterday and it all felt hobby ending. I do acknowledge of course that we can have great enthusiasm for new gear and the honeymoon period settles, we'll see

At their best, it feels like you have electrostatics in the room, which is an incredible design achievement.

Don't forget the RRP of the Q7, which is less than half of Falcons own and other LS3/5a. Factor this in and they really do shine. These are not a poor relation in terms of sonic performance and comparison

I can see the Harbs going at some point, which I never thought I'd hear myself saying.

Last edited:

The Bish

The Bish
Wammer
Jul 3, 2020
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Nathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do they work in the corners of the room Ian, or do you find they sound better with some space around them? I think I recall another owner saying the q7 was similar to JR149 in that they get a good bass reinforcement in corners where LS3/5a needs space.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do they work in the corners of the room Ian, or do you find they sound better with some space around them? I think I recall another owner saying the q7 was similar to JR149 in that they get a good bass reinforcement in corners where LS3/5a needs space.
I've had them three-ish cm from the wall and a couple of feet out (metric and imperial but there you go). There's not a massive amount of difference really. Maybe they image better pulled out and are a little cleaner sounding. I bought Hi Fi racks stands for the Harbs. some time ago so I can slide them across the carpet easily to pull them out and back.

Can't try them in corners as such, other furniture there.

Whereabouts are you ? You're welcome to pop round. I'm Nottm.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Bish

The Bish

The Bish
Wammer
Jul 3, 2020
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Nathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had them three-ish cm from the wall and a couple of feet out (metric and imperial but there you go). There's not a massive amount of difference really. Maybe they image better pulled out and are a little cleaner sounding. I bought Hi Fi racks stands for the Harbs. some time ago so I can slide them across the carpet easily to pull them out and back.

Can't try them in corners as such, other furniture there.

Whereabouts are you ? You're welcome to pop round. I'm Nottm.
I’m in Brum Ian, thanks for the invitation, will give you a shout as I’d like to hear the Q7s vs the Harbeths. Cheers!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles