Fantasy Hootenanny

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
For me this year's Hootenanny was an improvement on the previous 3 years, but that's not saying much compared to how good it was 8 or 10 years ago. For me it was the reduced number of very old stars singing to boogie-woogie that meant it was better.

So, what would your ideal Hootenanny look like? I've put together a framework below for you to build your suggestions against - copy and paste this into your reply and fill in the details. Just a bit of fun, but would be interesting to see how it would shape up. Everyone you list must still be alive.

Three performers who have come to prominence in the last 3 years or so:

-

-

-

One recently emerging performer who is a bit leftfield:

-

Peformer that never made it to Jool's programme but should've done:

-

The novelty act:

-

One "superstar" who turns out to be able to perform as if they were at the peak of their career:

-

Someone who has wowed you before on Hootenanny and you'd like to see them back on again:

-

Vocalists to perform their music with Jools, but Jools using his and the band's prodigious talent to play the vocalist's songs well, with no boogie-woogie-ification:

- Male:

- Female:

Finale:

-

Other rules about the format of the show:

-

-

-

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
And here's my attempt:

Three performers who have come to prominence in the last 3 years or so:

- I Am Kloot

- Asa

- Gotye

One recently emerging performer who is a bit leftfield:

- Tunng

Peformer that never made it to Jool's programme but should've done:

- The Jon Strong Band

The novelty act:

- The Great British Ukulele Orchestra playing Smells Like Teen Spirit

One "superstar" who turns out to be able to perform as if they were at the peak of their career:

- Kate Bush

Someone who has wowed you before on Hootenanny and you'd like to see them back on again:

- Kylie Minogue singing I Should Be So Luck in ballad style

Vocalists to perform their music with Jools, but Jools using his and the band's prodigious talent to play the vocalist's songs well, with no boogie-woogie-ification:

- Male: Tom Baxter

- Female: Rachelle Ferrell

Finale:

- Something acoustic, down-tempo and poignant

Other rules about the format of the show:

- No old stars who used to be good but now can't sing well (except as interviewees perhaps)

- At midnight, 10 second countdown, some cheering and streamers / party poppers then straight back to the music

- Jool's band to play the music as it should be (with some appropriate re-arrangements / solos etc) without the addition of inappropriate boogie-woogie

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
My fantasy hootenany would involve a sudden' date=' violent and totally overwhelming electrical fire, about 2 minutes in.[/quote'] That sounds like an excellent title for a post-rock album :^

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
My fantasy hootenany would involve a sudden, violent and totally overwhelming electrical fire, about 2 minutes in.
So, finally the only TV show left that supports live bands playing live music is wiped out. Way to go!

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Ah, usual Wam response - lots of criticism but little in the way of ideas to make it better. :roll:

I'm guessing from response so far that there is no enthusiasm for a quality live music prog on the TV anymore.

Jan 11, 2006
Yes a quality live programme would be great.

Just stop him talking to guests and playing.

The OGWT is still the one to aspire to.

Get Mark radcliffe his own show

voiceofthemysterons

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2007
MindSpace.
Ah, usual Wam response - lots of criticism but little in the way of ideas to make it better. :roll: I'm guessing from response so far that there is no enthusiasm for a quality live music prog on the TV anymore.
Er, see other thread.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
Bootsy & Buckethead, obv(sorry Leonard!)
No need to be sorry!

They should get rid of Jools entirely, stop the policy of plugging agencies paying to put bands on with something to sell and just concentrate on good music, not product.

Then they should have Bootsy present it with Buckethead looking menacing/crazed behind him. The line-up could be:

Motorhead (with Bootsy and Buckethead)

Intraverse

Kraftwerk

Dap Kings

Primus

Toumani Diabate

The Bad Plus

Jonas Hellborg band

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would like to see/especially hear Queen 1978 LA Forum 'White Christmas', (available nowhere else bar when they performed it) and 2005 Pogues-Cerys doing FONY, (available nowhere else bar when they performed it) and e.g. Jools's voice not squeaking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles