Finally back into hifi!

Geordie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
Yay! My Onix OA21 amplifier came through today, and my god is it just so much better than using an AV amp - much sweeter and more detailed, and faster punchier bass, its just so much better. In fact I reckon it probably sounds just as good, if not better than the Exposure - it has that same PRATTY sound but it sounds a bit less harsh TBH.

Glad to be back
biggrin.png

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Congratulations PB:^

However, must say you are starting to sound a bit like Icehockeyboy, albeit not suffering from a case of faux upgraditis, but that of a relapsed-and-born-again audiophilism.
wink.png

Okay, May 4, 4:51 pm. Start the timer! Guys, put your bets in on how long Geordie lasts this time.
biggrin.png

SS

Geordie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
LMAO
tongue.png

Yeah we'll see. I admit i am the most indecisive person i know!

One thing though... i've just listened to some Jean Michelle Jarre (sp?) and I actually honest to go heard sounds coming from behind me. How is this possible? I've had plenty of two channel systems and i've never, ever heard them do that before. Admittedly i've got my speakers set up far better than I've ever had them before.

Hmm, at this rate, the Yammy might end up being completely shown the door.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Geordie, do you have a hard wall (no pictures or curtains on it) behind your listening position? If your speakers are firing straight down at ya with such a wall behind your head, that could account for the pseudo surround effect. That said, for such effects to occur, back wall or not, the credit belongs mainly to the amp's performance.

cheerSS

Geordie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
solidstateman wrote:

Geordie, do you have a hard wall (no pictures or curtains on it) behind your listening position? If your speakers are firing straight down at ya with such a wall behind your head, that could account for the pseudo surround effect. That said, for such effects to occur, back wall or not, the credit belongs mainly to the amp's performance.cheerSS
Not really... i've a hard wall behind but that contains a massive window, curtains, blinds, etc...

vinylsearch

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
xanadu, , United Kin
182-Geordie wrote:

One thing though... i've just listened to some Jean Michelle Jarre (sp?) and I actually honest to go heard sounds coming from behind me. How is this possible? I've had plenty of two channel systems and i've never, ever heard them do that before.
:nerd:It aint ain't Hi-Fi but...

If you've got a spare set of speakers and your amp can Run A/B wire the 2nd set back to front ie left is right etc, and OUT of phase, stick em behind you, imbibe large quantities of whatever gets you mellow, and play Oxygen IV :dude:

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Try listening with your head pointing at the speakers, 182

nice to have you back in the fold, mind:)

G

i have a £3000 surround amp and everyone takes the piss. but it sounds better than any stereo amp i've had onion so i don't give a fuck what they say.

it's smooth and warm sounding and i love it. i also have audiolab pre-power amps that sound shite in comparison.

thinking of getting a jadis orchestra someday.

G

rudolph hucker wrote:

i have a £3000 surround amp and everyone takes the piss. but it sounds better than any stereo amp i've had onion so i don't give a fuck what they say.it's smooth and warm sounding and i love it. i also have audiolab pre-power amps that sound shite in comparison.

thinking of getting a jadis orchestra someday.
not suprised about the audilab, there rudi, what's the make of your a.v.amp?

G

i'm glad someone likes it. when it's set up with the microphone it is great sounding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.