Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think Phil might be my brother...

First: BSA Bantam. Actually, first was some unidentifiable moped, but it didn't last long.

Best: T120 Bonneville. Maybe not technically the best, but the most memorable in 'feel'.

Added category. Most insane: Original Kawasaki 750 H2. The two-stroke widowmaker with about 2bhp for most of the rev range and about 500bhp for a 300rpm segment that inevitably came in half way round a damp corner. Winner of the 'how many times did you drop it' award.

Now: None, but considering. Not a sports job these days, but a cruiser or a classic for the summer. Never use my car, so it may go on the list. All I need to do is persuade a certain someone that I won't kill myself.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I had the resources (and was fit enough to ride it), I'd like an A10. I'd also like a mildly chopped/raked frame with an A7 engine but would consider A50 or A65. Best of luck @rabski I don't think it's so much a case of you not killing yourself as some other idiot not killing you.

Reactions: rabski

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think Phil might be my brother...

First: BSA Bantam. Actually, first was some unidentifiable moped, but it didn't last long.

Best: T120 Bonneville. Maybe not technically the best, but the most memorable in 'feel'.

Added category. Most insane: Original Kawasaki 750 H2. The two-stroke widowmaker with about 2bhp for most of the rev range and about 500bhp for a 300rpm segment that inevitably came in half way round a damp corner. Winner of the 'how many times did you drop it' award.

Now: None, but considering. Not a sports job these days, but a cruiser or a classic for the summer. Never use my car, so it may go on the list. All I need to do is persuade a certain someone that I won't kill myself.
You wouldn't need to. It'll be the blind idiot that pulls out on you.

• Upvote
Reactions: rabski

Guzziboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 25, 2018
Leeds
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First, Vespa 125.

Best, Yamaha AS1. Small, but perfectly formed.

Worst, Norton EL4.

Now, I sold my last, a Guzzi V7ll, a bit over two years ago, and have permanently retired from two wheels.

b1u3print

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 23, 2005
Cheshire
AKA
Matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First: Kawasaki KH125 - rebuilt it so many times it was ridiculous, it regularly melted a hole in the top of the piston. I replaced it with several TZR 125 Yamaha’s which were hilarious fun and surprisingly reliable. 

Best: Technically it’s my current bike by quite some margin (heavily modified Aprilia RSV4 Factory), but there are two bikes that deserve special mention; 

Aprilia RS250 - Crazy and beautiful 2 stroke - I had one of the very fist bikes in the country in 1995. My first real taste of performance when it hit the powerband. Could have done with more ground clearance when on track. This was the time in my life that I most enjoyed motorcycling  - Loads of friends that I went biking with, the majority of whom are no longer with us (some because of bikes).

Ducati 1098S - First taste of 1k cc power  :D  and aesthetically stunning. 

Current: As mentioned above - Aprilia RSV4. It’s awesome, particularly on hot slicks, so forgiving and so precise. I run out of ability before the bike does. 

Just wish I had all of the crowd back to share it with, as motorcycling is very much a solo activity for me these days. 

Reactions: Bolosun

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
BSA Bantam 125 (in 1965)

Moto Guzzi SP 1000 (93-99)  Touring with my wife, Italy, France, Spain.

Suzuki SV650S (my second one, track and road).  It will be my last.

Reactions: Bolosun

Guzziboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 25, 2018
Leeds
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Didn't recognise that model so Googled it. No pages found for it. What was it?
Otherwise known as the Norton Electra, a bored out Navigator with electric start and bar end indicators.

It had Roadholder forks and a Norton grey tank, but that's as close as it got to being a Norton. It was made in Plumstead out of spare AMC parts. The Prince of Darkness was responsible for the electrics, so it's hardly surprising that they were hit or miss.

Mine was a 1964 model bought from a collector in the late 80s. I sold it a few years later, having never really enjoyed it.

Reactions: audio_PHIL_e

cwarchc

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2011
Wild west Cumbria
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1st Garelli Tiger Cross. It certainly made me a better mechanic/ Like someone mentioned above, this one also had the knack of burning pistons

Best A highly modified Yamaha SR500. Wish I had it now, unfortunately my brother stuck it into the front of a taxi

Now non, however I'm thinking of getting a Husqvarna Svartpilen or a Mash 650, just got to talk the Mrs into it

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Otherwise known as the Norton Electra, a bored out Navigator with electric start and bar end indicators.

It had Roadholder forks and a Norton grey tank, but that's as close as it got to being a Norton. It was made in Plumstead out of spare AMC parts. The Prince of Darkness was responsible for the electrics, so it's hardly surprising that they were hit or miss.

Mine was a 1964 model bought from a collector in the late 80s. I sold it a few years later, having never really enjoyed it.
Thanks. I didn't buy a Jubilee when I was looking for my first bike. Went to see one and wasn't impressed, looking back I shouldn't have been impressed by the Bantam either but a single cylinder 2 stroke engine seemed to be easier for a beginner to look after. I found this, it might help anyone else who wants to know what an Electra was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles