floor-stander/large stand-mounter to complement LS3/5a

thewanderer

New Wammer
Nov 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi All,

I have Falcon acoustics LS3/5A gold badge version. I absolutely love it. My listening room is 12x18 feet, at times it does sound like small speaker and I miss the scale and presence. So I am looking for a floor stander or large stand mounter that has similar sonic signature or just a bigger version of LS3/5a's. In my country I don't have access to all british HIFI brands, but can get Spendor, Harbeth, Falcon's, Proac, KEF, ATC etc. Appreciate any advise.

TIA
Regards

thewanderer

New Wammer
Nov 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi bud, What is your budget?

I’d be ATC all the way.
Thanks. Which one in ATC come close? I was considering SCM20 or SCM40, but hesitant because of getting right amp would be a challenge. Of-course if budget permits best would be to go active ATC's I presume.

£3k to 5K range.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks. Which one in ATC come close? I was considering SCM20 or SCM40, but hesitant because of getting right amp would be a challenge. Of-course if budget permits best would be to go active ATC's I presume.

£3k to 5K range.
Before anyone should advise you on speakers, it’s important to know what amplification your using currently..?

thewanderer

New Wammer
Nov 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Before anyone should advise you on speakers, it’s important to know what amplification your using currently..?
Thanks for your replay.

I have Mcintosh tube integrated MA252, which i am quite happy pairing it with Falcon LS3/5a.

Willsenton R300 SET amp and DIY monoblocks that can pump 450W@4ohm

thewanderer

New Wammer
Nov 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Subwoofer?
Thanks. I don't use and no plans to use a sub. I am little sensitive to pressure on the ear with extreme low end. Not sure if sealed enclosure would help, but certainly has some problems with front ported speakers going 30Hz.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for your replay.

I have Mcintosh tube integrated MA252, which i am quite happy pairing it with Falcon LS3/5a.

Willsenton R300 SET amp and DIY monoblocks that can pump 450W@4ohm
Ok, if you like the sound of the Falcons it’s unlikely you would like the ATC’s. As good as they are, they are extremely different in presentation.
It would be easy to recommend my Harbeth HL5+ but it would be the right choice for your room and giving a similar presentation to your falcons but on a larger scale but it’s important to have stands that complement them sonically.
Alternatively, if you want a more mainstream sound, Proac D20 or the new Falcon IMF 200 transmission line floorstanders.
As always, do try to listen to speakers at home before you buy or at least, have the option to return.

thewanderer

New Wammer
Nov 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok, if you like the sound of the Falcons it’s unlikely you would like the ATC’s. As good as they are, they are extremely different in presentation.
It would be easy to recommend my Harbeth HL5+ but it would be the right choice for your room and giving a similar presentation to your falcons but on a larger scale but it’s important to have stands that complement them sonically.
Alternatively, if you want a more mainstream sound, Proac D20 or the new Falcon IMF 200 transmission line floorstanders.
As always, do try to listen to speakers at home before you buy or at least, have the option to return.

Thanks for the recommendation. Harbeth is way too expensive in my country.

Favouring proac D20R/D30RS at the moment.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bigger falcons ? The IMF 100 look interesting, though I've never heard them. As do the RAM range.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlepops

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Ram range is discontinued although there maybe a few still around.
Ok, still on the Falcon website though. And used of course. But bottom line, it's always the trickiest call recommending speakers, they are such a personal taste and arguably make the biggest sonic change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockchild

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
but can get Spendor, Harbeth, Falcon's, Proac, KEF, ATC etc. Appreciate any advise.
Except for the Falcon's I had all of those on home demo with the Spendor D7 as the experimental control speaker. I had a largish room at the time.

ProAc D30rs was slightly warm to my ears eg., the clarinet that opens Rhapsody in Blue, sounds like an oboe. Voice and strings sound liquid and superb from the ribbon tweeter.

All of the Kef speakers in your budget have the same house sound and are differentiated by scale. I own some LS50s and like them, but like you, I wanted scale and presence so I upgraded. The Reference 1 was a brilliant, neutral, all-around speaker, but the bass excited too many room modes and had to go back.

The Harbeth SHL5+ was lovely for acoustic instruments, but lacked the kind of bass response for which I was looking/listening.

The ATC SCM40 was possibly my favorite, but lost out on looks and weight. It wasn't feasible for our living situation. The actives, which I heard at the dealer, were next level.

Finally, I kept the D7 and wanted a chance to try the Spendor 1/2, but could not find one. Here's a fun little comparison review on the two. As always, take with a grain of truth. https://darko.audio/2020/01/spendor-the-classic-1-2-versus-the-d7-2/

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whilst ATC and Proac all have fine speakers, the OP has stated that the requirement is for a larger, yet similar sound, to the Falcons. ATC are very, very different from BBC type speakers. Proacs tend to be a bit forward and again unlike the BBC type sound (in general). I'd be looking at Spendor Classic 2/3, if Graham speakers aren't available locally. By all means consider the other options but be aware that they will be nothing like what is in current use.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
To be honest, that’s quite the contrary from my pov. He may find that the size of the sound of ATC mids would override the enjoyment of ls3.5., which I find to be a one trick pony really. ATC actives are not forward etc and shouldn’t be discouraged. The proac I’ve heard, I wouldn’t say forward either, and I have a pet hate with over pronounced speakers. I was dead set on a pair of hl5+ before I bought the ATC but didn’t like the top end!

Reactions: thewanderer

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks. I don't use and no plans to use a sub.
Might want to consider a demo with an active sub. You don't need "Flash/Bang" sound pressures to supplement the LS3/5A lows. I've used them with a sub for 40 years and have been very happy with that combination. No other speaker has ever been able to permanently replace my LS3/5As.

Reactions: thewanderer

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
have you heard of the trick (described, I believe, by Ken Kessler), in which he placed a second pair of LS3/5As on top of the first pair but "upside down" so that the tweeter was at the bottom and the woofer was at the top? Apparently, the result sounded "huge".

Reactions: hifinutt

thewanderer

New Wammer
Nov 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
have you heard of the trick (described, I believe, by Ken Kessler), in which he placed a second pair of LS3/5As on top of the first pair but "upside down" so that the tweeter was at the bottom and the woofer was at the top? Apparently, the result sounded "huge".
Thanks for the suggesttion. Have not tried. Given the prices of LS3/5A that would be a costly experiment :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles