Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My other half often says,' what's that strange ringing sound?' I always say, 't'is ok, it's the caps in my amp vibrating.'

• Haha
Reactions: MF 1000

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I hope it's not as painful as a kidney stone...
Most of this thread is about as painful as passing a kidney stone.

But that's what reasearch is about. Some poor bugger has experienced it and documented it. Thus sparing some of you lot from having to do so to know what it's like.

Reactions: Tony_J

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My other half often says,' what's that strange ringing sound?' I always say, 't'is ok, it's the caps in my amp vibrating.'
I don't have an "other half" but I do get strange ringing noises from instrument amplifiers (in particular: Selmer Treble'n'Bass 50, Marshall Bluesbreaker combo re-issue), I think it's the insides of the valves getting a bit loose. Not had it on Marshall amp heads or on the Vox AC30.

Reactions: TIU

ozzric

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 23, 2014
Norwich, Norfolk
AKA
Cliff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good God, the tubes in my amp click and ting when its warming up, the mains traffo can be heard humming in the corner from the sofa, the chassis pings when it gets warm and tapping on the chassis produces a noise from the speakers like Jimi Hendrix's fender strings up against his amp.

Not too worried about spurious noises due to my caps vibrating!

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All that time I spent thinking it was the transformer, sticking grommets underneath it, buying DC blockers, mains conditioners and battery power supplies,
then finally biting the bullet and moving house to get away from the factories, and you're telling me it was the bloody caps??

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Serious question here, no sarky answers please chaps, if I was going to treat my caps, will I get a better result from doing the big PSU caps or the small "signal" caps? I'm thinking my 'O' ring idea here.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Serious question here, no sarky answers please chaps, if I was going to treat my caps, will I get a better result from doing the big PSU caps or the small "signal" caps? I'm thinking my 'O' ring idea here.
You may have more success sliding an O-ring over a cap that's standing on the chassis than a smaller signal cap because the latter is likely to have a wire sticking out of each end which is then soldered onto somewhere.

audiobuff

Wammer
Apr 15, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try them all! But I would guess the PSU caps....

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the principal in a more mechanical ‘cold’ environment such as a loudspeaker cab. I’ve been messing with constrained layers of various materials in speakers for years with interesting results.

I’ve damped cd mechs, lids, sides and chassis in the past but would never bother again. It is a fire risk on any electronic component, that’s why manufacturers don’t do it. Any aftermarket mods like this would surely invalidate your insurance in the event of a fire.

I mean my neighbour had an amp set on fire, turned out to be congealed nicotine and dust particles in his class a sugden.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try them all! But I would guess the PSU caps....
You guess? GUESS??

We need a detailed explanation of exactly how much tape, what shape it needs to be cut to and exactly where it needs to be stuck on each and every component you’ve tried.

How on earth can you ensure repeatability and consistency of sonic improvement for everyone otherwise?!

zeta4

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2009
Oxford, , United Kin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you insist on trying it then dont waste £60. You can get similar or even identical foil backed butyl stick on panels for a lot less. I got 5 sheets
30cm x 40cm x 1 mm thick for about £20 off eBay for my car. Alternatively try Dynamat Extreme or even 3M. They all work on the constrained layer damping technique in which the attached damping panel material is worked in shear by the offending panel vibrations. Its in shear because these panels have an outer foil constraining backing. The damping material used is chosen to have high conversion to heat when operated in shear. Sorry to tell you but there is no magic in this its been around for a long while.

As to vibration causing sonic effects in electronic audio equipment Ive only come across two measureable effects. One is with some clock oscillator
crystals and the other is with transformer laminations if they are not packed tightly enough or potted. Ive not seen anything with the capacitors Ive tried although I did see some strange tape applied by Sony to some Elna Silmic caps in a SACD player once but this didnt seem to have any measureable effect .

audiobuff

Wammer
Apr 15, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you insist on trying it then dont waste £60. You can get similar or even identical foil backed butyl stick on panels for a lot less. I got 5 sheets
30cm x 40cm x 1 mm thick for about £20 off eBay. Alternatively try Dynamat Extreme or even 3M. They all work on the constrained layer damping technique in which the attached damping panel material is worked in shear by the offending panel vibrations. Its in shear because these panels have an outer foil constraining backing. The damping material used is chosen to have high conversion to heat when operated in shear. Sorry to tell you but there is no magic in this its been around for a long while.

As to vibration causing sonic effects in electronic audio equipment Ive only come across two measureable effects. One is with some clock oscillator
crystals and the other is with transformer laminations if they are not packed tightly enough or potted. Ive not seen anything with the capacitors Ive tried although I did see some strange tape applied by Sony to some Elna Silmic caps in a SACD player once but this didnt seem to have any measureable effect .
My contention is those products you mention are NOT equivalent...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.