• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Food. Anything you want to know just ask.

mikehit

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 29, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Mike
Venison in a robust red wine sauce is a nice combination. The one thing I will say is that if you are frying or grilling, don't overcook it - venison is very lean and can taste a bit 'livery' when overdone.

For a bit of a difference I have done them 'Thai style' - fry medium-rare and leave to cool for a few minutes then slice very finely. While it is cooling mix together 2 tablespoons of fish sauce with one and a half tablespoons of lime juice plus as much sliced fresh bird's eye chillies (or chili powder) as you can stand. Finely slice two shallots then toss these with the dressing and the sliced meat. Serve with salad.

TheMinimalCriminal

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2010
Villereal, France
AKA
Jon
Make sure you serve the venison on a fairly hot plate; the temperature at which the fat starts to solidify again is quite high for venison and will start to happen if served on a cold plate.

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, given it's you:1. Wipe your jizz off the raw meat. Have a bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

2. Go and have a hobnob and a little lady lie-down to recover. Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

3. Use your meat hammer to tenderise the meat. Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

4. NO!!! Put your cock away, I meant an actual meat hammer, FFS! Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

5. You don't have a meat hammer? No problem: you're Northern, so use your forehead to headbutt the meat until it's tender and stops looking at your bird and spilling your pint. Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

6. That learned it some respect. Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

7. Get a southern person to make you some FIRE! Burny! No touchy! It's also not a god, no need to worship. Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

8. Gently burn the meat a bit until your Pavlovian drooling becomes unbearable. Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

9. Given you're northern, the traditional vegetables served with Venison is more meat, some meat pies, and a big greasy bag of chips fried in dripping - nip up the chippy. Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

10. Belch, smoke a fag, have a bottle of broon, belch, give the lass one in the tradesman's.

Et voila! Bon appetit!
:rofl:

barry2tone

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 20, 2008
Dunheidin
AKA
Michael
Saucepan with rocket science applied. Gorgeous gadget?

19501_2

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
Anyone got a good recipe for pea and ham soup using dried marrow fat peas and ham hock- cooked it ages ago with a gammon joint but can't remember where i got the recipe from :p plus not used ham hock before.

Hayward

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
Anyone got a good recipe for pea and ham soup using dried marrow fat peas and ham hock- cooked it ages ago with a gammon joint but can't remember where i got the recipe from :p plus not used ham hock before.
I would like to see this too :^

robin

Bastard
Wammer Plus
Dec 6, 2006
City of Bradford,
AKA
robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, given it's you:1. Wipe your jizz off the raw meat. Have a bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

2. Go and have a hobnob and a little lady lie-down to recover. Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

3. Use your meat hammer to tenderise the meat. Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

4. NO!!! Put your cock away, I meant an actual meat hammer, FFS! Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

5. You don't have a meat hammer? No problem: you're Northern, so use your forehead to headbutt the meat until it's tender and stops looking at your bird and spilling your pint. Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

6. That learned it some respect. Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

7. Get a southern person to make you some FIRE! Burny! No touchy! It's also not a god, no need to worship. Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

8. Gently burn the meat a bit until your Pavlovian drooling becomes unbearable. Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

9. Given you're northern, the traditional vegetables served with Venison is more meat, some meat pies, and a big greasy bag of chips fried in dripping - nip up the chippy. Have another bottle of broon, aye, that's the way canny lad.

10. Belch, smoke a fag, have a bottle of broon, belch, give the lass one in the tradesman's.

Et voila! Bon appetit!
you still have it Paul, not seen it for a bit,but its still there :^

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
I would like to see this too :^
Turns out we had a cook book (Leiths Cookery Bible) with a recipe in it. Simple; soften 1 onion and 1 stick celery in a little oil then add 250g split peas, 2pts water, 250g ham hock, bay leaf, 4 sprigs thyme, few peppercorns and simmer for 1.5 hr or until meat falling from bone- remove hock and blend soup, remove fat from hock chop meat into cubes and add to soup.

However....I am completely incapable of following recipes so.... I used about 6 sticks celery 'cause they would have gone to waste otherwise, similarly 3 carrots and an extra onion. I am also unable to not use garlic so added 3 cloves. The ham hock we bought was 700g (seemed better amount actually) and I also added 1 tsp dried mint, 1 tsp green jalapeño powder, 1tsp fennel seeds and 1tsp dried lime powder (yum :p ). Used dried thyme as i didnt have fresh. Ended up simmering for 3 hours for logistical reasons :p and figured 700 vs 250g hock would need longer anyway. Not sure if it would have been better had I not tinkered but it is very tasty :D

Thinking next time might leave out carrots and add in some leek, maybe a green pepper and possibly parsley. Was also wondering whether this would work well in the slow cooker?

mj446

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2012
Fife
AKA
Martin
Hi, a wee bit help needed, SWMBO is just back from a Tenerife trip with her sisters and a had Tapas meal(shock surprise) anyhoo, they had mussels that were deshelled, chopped and mixed with garlic/herbs/cream/breadcrumbs and baked? then served back in the shells, at least that was her impression, any help as she want to try these at home. Thanks in advance.

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
What's the best beef cut to use for stir fry?

....and where on the cow is medallion steak from :p ? Saw it in Tesco's and was reasonably priced so tried it. Worked well for stir fry.

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What's the best beef cut to use for stir fry?....and where on the cow is medallion steak from :p ? Saw it in Tesco's and was reasonably priced so tried it. Worked well for stir fry.
Any of the leaner cuts will do fine. I coat mine in seasoned Cornflower and get a crispy outside with juicy inside :^

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
IMHO rib eye, just not cheap

....and where on the cow is medallion steak from
AKA filet mignon small fillet (small fillet), non weight bearing muscle so very tender, i.e. smaller end of a whole beef tenderloin

this as far as I know, YMMV

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
IMHO rib eye, just not cheapAKA filet mignon small fillet (small fillet), non weight bearing muscle so very tender, i.e. smaller end of a whole beef tenderloin

this as far as I know, YMMV
Filet mignon was what google turned up as most likely but this was £4 for two decent sized steaks...

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Filet mignon was what google turned up as most likely but this was £4 for two decent sized steaks...
Neil,whilst undoubtedly tender - many chefs would say fillet lacks flavour, which I why I prefer other cuts but each to his own eh?

. . . why not PM our resident chef, Pierre The Bear, and ask his opinion ?

timmytiger

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2013
Essex costa
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i use sirloin, watch out for any gristle under the fat, cross cut so each sliver has a little bit of the fat on the end.

Takes about 10 seconds to cook in a good hot stir fry.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
LOL, does that one wear gold hoof-rings that spell out C O W ...

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
Neil,whilst undoubtedly tender - many chefs would say fillet lacks flavour, which I why I prefer other cuts but each to his own eh?

. . . why not PM our resident chef, Pierre The Bear, and ask his opinion ?
Yeah- that's essentially what I was looking for- a more flavourful, cheaper cut that stir fries well.

I meant that searching for medallion steak seemed to suggest it was filet mignon but this was too cheap to be that I thought, so wondered what cut it actually was.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
night_tripper