• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Food. Anything you want to know just ask.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How do you cook a fruit tart (the kind you put the fruit in with no blind baking, like a tarte tatin) without the pastry being very soggy and undercooked underneath?

Vinyl Art

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you can't blind bake you can put a barrier on, say a brush with egg white. However getting heat to the base quickly is the key, so a thick black tin on the base of your oven will do the trick, having pre heated the oven and hence the base. In fact pre heat it over temp to really get the heat into the oven base. Use a Pizza stone if you have one.

TheMinimalCriminal

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2010
Villereal, France
AKA
Jon
How do you cook a fruit tart (the kind you put the fruit in with no blind baking, like a tarte tatin) without the pastry being very soggy and undercooked underneath?
Well with a tarte-tatin, the pastry is cooked as the top layer and then it's flipped over to serve. That solves a lot of the issues of doing a more regular tart where the pastry is cooked on the bottom.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you can't blind bake you can put a barrier on, say a brush with egg white. However getting heat to the base quickly is the key, so a thick black tin on the base of your oven will do the trick, having pre heated the oven and hence the base. In fact pre heat it over temp to really get the heat into the oven base. Use a Pizza stone if you have one.
cheers bob! will try it out.

JBCobra

Legend Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am looking for favorite pork loin recipes. Maybe baked is the best option for these? They are lean compared to pork shoulders....so maybe cook in some herbed liquid?Please Lmk Thanks :)

batteredhaggis

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 29, 2013
East Sussex
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi JB, I made porchetta for a birthday dinner last weekend. Went down very well:

Get hold of a loin of pork with the belly attached. From about 3kg or more depending on mouths to feed. Score the skin deeply maybe 5mm apart. Make sure the skin is dry.

Make a stuffing, you can decide the overall proportions but the basis is a 50/50 mix of pork mince and chicken livers. Hand chop them small but not blitzed. I used 300g of each. Chop a couple of big shallots or an onion. Soften onion then add meats and lightly brown, don't cook fully. Add breadcrumbs, pine nuts, fennel seeds, lemon zest, plenty of fresh sage and flat leaf parsley, thyme if you like. Season and make a generous line of stuffing down the middle of the meat. Roll it and tie up with butcher's string. Two pairs of hands helps. Once it's trussed you can poke back in any stuffing that's fallen out. Rub a little olive oil all over the skin then rub sea salt and pepper into the slits and all over.

Cut large carrots in half lengthwise and lay them alternately along the bottom of your roasting pan. Looks like a V12 engine cover. Porchetta goes on this and won't roll off. Pour a large glass of dry marsala or oloroso sherry and a glass of water around the carrots. Start in a hot oven, say 430F for 20-30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 340F and roast for about two hours, maybe a little more. Check during roasting - the carrots will caramelise quite heavily but if they are about to burn, reduce the temp and or add more liquid. Don't baste, but if you've got good meat, you should get superb crackling. Put the meat somewhere warm to rest but don't cover. Whack the oven up to finish the skin-on, inch-cubed potatoes and halved shallots that you are also roasting with olive oil and thyme.

Take the carrots out, they can be discarded but if they are like ours were, they were a superb veggie bonus, tasted incredible. Almost all the liquid in the pan will be gone. The sticky 'marmite' left will probably be quite black and a bit too bitter for the gravy if scraped out, but pour a glass of white wine or water on while the pan is still warm, give it a good swirl around and pour out into a saucepan. You'll get most of the goodness. It will be quite dark but shouldn't taste burnt. If it does, make apple sauce! Reduce this while you get your veggies ready (cavolo nero). Add a teaspoon of best balsamic vinegar, check seasoning, whisk in a small knob of cold butter. Should be intensely flavoured but it's not a thickened gravy.

Any north Italian red will work well - we had a Valpolicella Ripasso which went better than a full-blown Amarone. Left over stuffing is delicious with beaten egg mixed in and fried as patties.

JBCobra

Legend Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow! Thank you So Much!

Fantastic write-up! :^

I will do this today. I do not have any chicken livers...but how about stuffing the loin with sweet or hot Italian sausage mince???

I have everything else you recommend

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Wow! Thank you So Much!Fantastic write-up! :^

I will do this today. I do not have any chicken livers...but how about stuffing the loin with sweet or hot Italian sausage mince???

I have everything else you recommend
that's a porchetta, very nice but a lot of meat for a normal week!big favourite here is Pork Loin Dijonnaise: http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/pork/loin-of-pork-dijonnaise.html

much simpler but very tasty with GOOD pork, nice an moist - personally I go 50% sage / 50% tarragon with good quality salt and freshly ground pepper

EDIT to add the recipe does say but you need the loin still on the ribs - a sensible estimate is one rib per person from the thick (non fillet) end, get the butcher to take the rind off and score it, cook separately so there is plenty of crackling :)

the meat between the ribs is the cook''s treat :cool:

batteredhaggis

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 29, 2013
East Sussex
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It fed nine with loads of leftovers :D

I reckon the sweet sausage meat would work fine, though I'm not quite sure what's in it. Do try doing it with livers in the future, the flavour really harmonises with everything else. I understand it's traditional to add raisins to the stuffing anyway. I didn't fancy them so left them out, but it is supposed to have a touch of sweetness I guess.

Happy cooking, my wife thinks you are nuts for BBQing in the snow....

JBCobra

Legend Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Haha! Tell your wife she is right :)

Here is what is in sweet Italian sausage or the basic idea at least

• 3 pounds ground pork
  • 3tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1tablespoon salt
  • 1tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1 1/4tablespoons dried parsley
  • 1tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1tablespoon onion powder

• 1tablespoon dried basil
  • 2teaspoons paprika
  • 2teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
  • 3/4teaspoon ground fennel seed
  • 1/4teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1/8teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/8teaspoon dried thyme

batteredhaggis

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 29, 2013
East Sussex
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks good. I wouldn't go too heavy on the paprika or it will overpower the meat. Dried oregano is great but if you have them I'd go for fresh with the other herbs, esp. parsley and basil. Personally I would go for fresh garlic and onion too, but that's just me.

Hope it goes well!

JBCobra

Legend Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cool! Yes, I will utilize all fresh herbs etc...

Will use garlic ad onion too

Thank you again :)

JBCobra

Legend Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
that's a porchetta, very nice but a lot of meat for a normal week!big favourite here is Pork Loin Dijonnaise: http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/pork/loin-of-pork-dijonnaise.html

much simpler but very tasty with GOOD pork, nice an moist - personally I go 50% sage / 50% tarragon with good quality salt and freshly ground pepper

EDIT to add the recipe does say but you need the loin still on the ribs - a sensible estimate is one rib per person from the thick (non fillet) end, get the butcher to take the rind off and score it, cook separately so there is plenty of crackling :)

the meat between the ribs is the cook''s treat :cool:
Thank you Maverick!

Sounds Excellent :^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx