Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did Monaco prove that the Mercedes is more competitive now?

(Or did the nature of the tight circuit and blocking tactics prove nothing..?)

Second, is Lewis completely out of the title race? And/or can an improved Mercedes spoil the chances of one or other of the 2 main contenders by getting amongst them?

Jack

Reactions: MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did Monaco prove that the Mercedes is more competitive now?

(Or did the nature of the tight circuit and blocking tactics prove nothing..?)

Second, is Lewis completely out of the title race? And/or can an improved Mercedes spoil the chances of one or other of the 2 main contenders by getting amongst them?

Jack
Monaco is not a place to try to improve your car & the mercs looked like they could have been in amongst the front runners dring practice like they were in the last race.

As long as the redbull & Ferrari keep sharing the spoils Lewis & george are still with a shout as long as they get competitive in the couple of races I think👍

So in answer to your questions Jack No,Yes,No....
1654429734147.png

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Monaco isn’t representative of anything other than the ability to point and squirt quicker than anyone else. Anybody picturing anything other than driving fast on a confining course will be summarily banned.
But it is still usually won by the fastest cars (if not the most consistently fast drivers).
1. Monaco proves nothing.
2. Both Mercedes drivers are mathematically capable of winning but…
3. …it is more likely they’ll disrupt and take points. They might even target Red Bull purposely.
so No, Yes, Yes.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Canada -

Just seen the qualifying highlights. Wet weather and Leclerc has to start from the back.

Alonso on the front row. Hamilton just behind in 4th - that clash WILL be interesting, not least at the first bend.

Its going to be a dry race and I am getting to see it courtesy of Wizmax (ta, Robin).

I think Hamilton will outdrive Alonso and he loves N. America. With Leclerc having to come through the traffic, Sainz underperforming (though getting better) and Perez starting behind him, Lewis has a good chance of a podium if he can avoid being taken out by Alonso at the first bend (or anywhere, for that matter).
Ive had a dabble at 5/2 that Ham achieves a podium finish.

Allez Hamilton! (Canada, gettit?)

Jack NSM

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
CANADA - What a great race!
Lots of drama, no terrible crashes, and a duel up front.
Have to admit Verstappen is growing into the driver everyone predicted he would be (or already was) and the Red Bull is some car (though Perez dnf).
It was a puzzle for a time why Leclerc wasnt slicing through the field from the rear (having been penalised for changes to his engine). The Ferrari lacked drive out of the corners through worn tyres, apparently.

Pleased for Mercedes who indeed have taken a step forward and finished 3rd and 4th for the second race in a row - a sensible strategy, a decent setup after an experimentation on Lewis's was ditched, and a racier car helped achieve some needed constructors' points and a precious podium for my man.
And I got a drink out of it - Hamilton was a similar price to Alonso, Perez, and Leclerc to get a podium. Are they mad? Alonso was only second on the grid on one wet lap, Perez was starting 13th, annd Leclerc last or thereabouts. Hamilton has won 4 of the last 5 Canadian GPs and the fans love him there. To boot, I suspect that Lewis was, in the team's estimation, their best chance on the day, and strategy was influenced by that..

And then there was the U.S. Open Golf - wow!

Jack NSM (sports fan)

Reactions: Devil

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I watched from around lap 30 yesterday and saw a pretty impressive and largely mistake free drive from Max. The pressure at the end didn’t break him and his victory was comfortable in the end. He still managed a rant about track position after his final pit stop but I guess we forget he is still quite young and hasn‘t quite got that out of his system yet! Carlos did OK and did what he could to pressure Max but I’ve no doubt that took its toll on tyres, brake and engine temperatures in those final laps. The Mercedes had pace, Lewis was at a track he loves. We do need to remember that he has been used as a mule for some of the more radical adjustments the Mercedes engineers have tried. That together with some luck on George’s part has been the reason George has been ahead this season but it felt like yesterday was more representative of where they are as drivers in equal machinery. That said, it is still a two horse race at the front.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What a great race most enjoyable with plenty of overtaking and other action + the right choices being made by the Directors with virtual safety cars rather than full safety cars only the last & most significant one needed to be full.

What on earth has happened to McClaren they are just going backwards race by race.

Looking forward to Silverstone but on present form I would'nt bet against Max to win Fingers crossed for Lewis to show what he can really do with a good package under him🤞🏻

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I read of new updates (clearly visible) to the Mercedes for Silverstone.

Can they bridge the gap to the 2 frontrunning teams at this track?

I am currently admiring Lewis's ability to squeeze the best out of his car - keeping out of trouble, astute guidance from the pits, and a compliant team mate - but is it enough or are his fans confined to 'hoping for a podium?'

Unlike last time, Ferrari and Red Bull are likely to have their blockers nearer the front to frustrate our hero..plus the joker in the pack, 'Anybody But' Alonso ..
Maybe the weather will play a part..this IS England!
Jack

Last edited:

zeta4

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2009
Oxford, , United Kin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's been an interesting announcement from Red Bull. Their subsiduary Red Bull Technologies ( I think that's what it's called) revealed
that Adrian Newey has been working on a new hypercar the RB17. This is a follow on from his work on the Aston Martin Valkirye.
However in the launch he said that the new car used under body aero and he was able to use knowledge gained from the project
to benefit the F1 RB18. Unless I'm mistaken this looks like a way to circumvent the cost cap rules doesnt it ?

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Really enjoyed Silverstone, though feared for the driver in the upturned car in the early incident. Thankfully he was ok - amazing!

It was great that the race was aired on terrestrial TV - I wonder if The Open Golf Tournament is to be treated the same..?

I thought Lewis might get his first victory of the season in the revitalised Mercedes when he was gaining inch by inch on the 2 Ferraris, but a safety car put paid to that. Bah! It was a safety car that cost him last year's WDC.

The restart saw some of the best dicing I can remember.

What happened to Verstappen's car?

Jack NSM

Reactions: Tony_J

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What's Max been saying about Lewis and hitting apexes?

Is he liked on here? (Max, that is..)

Jack
Not much by me, though he’s seemed more comfortable this season and less gung-ho. Whether that’s because he achieved the championship - though it wasn’t exactly persuasive - or is simply so much faster this year I’m not sure.

After a great start, I’m disappointed that Ferrari haven’t fully delivered on their promise this year. George Russell is doing a great job though, and rather showing up Sir Lewis this year.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I see Nelson Piquet has distinguished himself once again.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...calling-Lewis-Hamilton-N-word.html#newcomment
Imagine if Lewis had called Mr Pipsqueak a "has-been sp*c", or similar.

The "n" word in Portuguese language is the correct way of describing dark-skined people, just like in English language you should use "black".

Edit: I have read Piquet's comment and find the homophobic remark quite offensive, although for a man of his age and upbringing I wouldn't be surprised if he used this kind of language on a regular basis.

Last edited:

zeta4

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2009
Oxford, , United Kin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After Silverstone I thought the Austrian GP a bit tamer but it had it's moments like both the Mercedes crashing apparently because they went too fast around the corners, really ? Then for me Max didnt seem to fight too hard with Leclerc I wonder why. Anyway well done Charles.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's looking like there has been a bit of regulation stretching at Formula 1😲😲😲

They have been allowing the barge board to flex a few mm (6 to 8) which has the effect of cancelling out the porpoising at high speed This is denied by the front runners & utter rubbish according to CH.

It will be interesting when we get to the Belgian GP after the summer break to see how the cars compare which is when the new regs come into force to stop the bouncing/porpoising on driver safety grounds. This weekends French GP could also see a few suprises if teams using the flexible board decide to ditch it early🤔

Last edited:

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ferrari tactical cock up once again ….and I’m sure LeClerc was told what to say & take the blame. Good result for Merc as they continue with upgrades etc. New floor rules might have an effect after Hungary 👍

Reactions: MVJ and Beyond you

enrae8

T otally W asted A t T imes
Wammer Plus
Sep 8, 2012
Blackpool
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Charles making a mistake pushing to avoid the undercut with shagged tyres
Could have been a great race between Max and Charles😎
Merc benefitting with their steady reliability from the ‘front runner charitable disorganisation‘

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The "n" word in Portuguese language is the correct way of describing dark-skined people, just like in English language you should use "black".

Edit: I have read Piquet's comment and find the homophobic remark quite offensive, although for a man of his age and upbringing I wouldn't be surprised if he used this kind of language on a regular basis.

Ive just read this, and that is absolute BS. My Brazilian girlfriend spat her coffee out when I read that back to her.

It is as equally as offensive in Brazil as it it here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online