Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I found this an interesting watch but maybe it’s already been on here. 

There are some good questions and interesting answers including what’s the best cartridge and about system/cartridge neutrality. 

• Thanks
Reactions: hiesteem

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very subjective interview really. Basically saying the best item is the one that sounds best for you. I liked what he said about reissues of the same old album that is supposed to be better than the last issue. Don't bother, he said.

One thing he did say that was interesting was, Berlin is littered with millions of old vinyl records for a few euro! So when's the next flight to Berln?

I like what he said about the misconception that all turntables and vinyl in general are warm sounding and that digital is bright sounding. Saying he could put together a vinyl rig that was bright. I would also say, I have been listening to a cd player that sounds similar to a very good turntable for years. Its all misconception until you've found something that breaks that illusion.

I felt he really came into his own when talking about tonearms. Again citing the misconception that a unipivot should sound like this, and silver wire sounds like that, etc.

Going onto say it's how the tonearm is all put together. This was one of the most enlightening things I heard, and something I shall remember, when my piggy bank is full.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What Frank says makes a lot of sense. There's no such thing as the "best" TT, arm, cartridge, only what's "best for you". Trust your ears and any reliable measurements you can work with

Reactions: DomT and hiesteem

billthewiz

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2011
Scotland
AKA
billy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like how this guy thinks with no bull shit selling jargon [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk